I'm just wandering wat notes you like to play with?

Mine are just E+A, but i like to improvise around the riff of californication, which is A+F. Really gd fun with a guitarist, and a gd warm up, cos i use most of the frets all the way up to 14th.

I also prefer to slap in A, its around the middle of the fret-board so there is lots of room for those extra notes and hammer-on's.

So, favourite Notes/Riffs you like to play with and improvise around?
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
E, A, D, or G so that I can bounce of the strings or play chords using those strings easily if I want. Or anything with those notes as 5ths or 9ths.

Weird thread...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I like playing F (low F), A#, B and G. I just love the sound of A# though...

It really depends on what i am trying ti accomplish though..

Guitar players hate it when you play in F.. ha ha
G and E.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Niff
I really wish I could be bothered learning theory :/

I know next to no theory at all.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Niff
I really wish I could be bothered learning theory :/

With respect, that is a really pathetic statement.

You obviously dont care enough, or you would've learnt some. it's really not hard...
Yes, it is a pathetic statement. I honestly cannot be bothered. I kind of want to know what the hell you guys are on about, but I don't know where to start, what to learn first, etc. Whenever I look up tutorials and whatnot I have all this chromatic/harmonic/scale/arpeggio crap shoved in my face and I have no clue what the ****'s going on, so I just go back to doing exercises and play along to my favourite songs. *shrug*

I'm sure it is easy, I just don't know where to start, and I am pretty sure I don't need to start yet (3 months or so of playing). It just kinds of makes me wish I did when people are rambling about Bs and Cs and I don't know what the hell it is.
Dude, we are all here to help.. None of us knew what anyone else was on about either until we started reading up, taking things in bit by bit. Compared to some people, i know jack **** still - you never stop learning.. but bit by bit, it slowly sinks in, even if you have to read it ten times.

I think you should read t h i s . if you work in an office, print it off and take it home.. just keep reading it until it makes sense.. you are still new to bass (and maybe music in general), but the quicker you start, the better off you will be in the long run..

Good luck, and dont be scarted to ask away. we are chilled out round these parts of UG. The muscians forum has some really knowledgeable people who cant wait to help! Remember, the only stupid question is the one you dont ask..
I was thinking of posting a thread asking for something like that a few weeks back, but I was pretty sure all I'd get was read the sticky noob/use the search noob/haha noob posts. Hopefully everybody is as helpful as you. Thanks for the guide

I am pretty sure that's gonna take me a loong time to go through, I am a slow learner.. but I suppose I'll get there. I just read the first few bits of that guide.. it's still going right over my head. I'll wait until morning to do this properly, I think x_X
bit by bit, it will stick in your head eventually, brother

Oh and if you're stoned, it will take double the time !

If you want anything explained, or are not sure about anything in that guide, just PM me
Quote by Applehead
I like playing F (low F), A#, B and G. I just love the sound of A# though...

It really depends on what i am trying ti accomplish though..

Guitar players hate it when you play in F.. ha ha

say what you will about this thread, but that's such a funny fact. Guitar players are like trained for Em- which is why I learned G major on all over the neck before I learnt C major...

so you play in F and they screw up until you whip them into it. It's so fun though. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i like A,A#,C,E, and D
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
D minor is the most fun key ever. I like D, but never an open D. It's got to be either the 19th fret G string or 5th fret A string. Only those Ds...
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
d and e....it just seems like of a lot of songs are spawned from these two notes
I was an Am pentatonic guy until recently. But I'm writing a lot of songs in F#m and B at the moment, so I'm wandering around on scales rooted on those two.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
all of them
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
D and E aswell.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
G major when I'm improvsing. When I jam, I live that "big band" jazzy swing sound, like Jaco Pastorious or Charles Mingus, and G major/A minor seems to be a good key to do that in. Specific notes? E#, probably.
Quote by Felkara
D minor is the most fun key ever. I like D, but never an open D. It's got to be either the 19th fret G string or 5th fret A string. Only those Ds...

*in best accent*

"D minor... the saddest of all keys."
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan

haahah and what was that piano piece called? i cant remember off the top of my head! i wanna watch ST again, but it got deleted off my comp a few months back.

i love that movie to death
"And what's that called?"

"lick my love pump."

lol

on bass I play around in the open string keys, both major and minor, I'm best there.
On guitar I can really only do Em. On piano I can really only do Am & C major. lol.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
*in best accent*

Paul Weller reckons Bm is the saddest of all keys.

I believe him, it's pretty damn sad.

Boo Hoo

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Quote by UtBDan

on bass I play around in the open string keys, both major and minor, I'm best there.
On guitar I can really only do Em. On piano I can really only do Am & C major. lol.

oh well i can do all modes of the major scale (any root note) on both guitar and bass fluently.

(its from those hours at Tom Lee where i pick up the 1600 strat and jam out jk)

im workin on the piano too
I think it was Mozart who said Dbm is the saddest of all keys and C#m is the hardest to write in, which is what lead Beethoven to write in C#m so often....

but the Dm thing was a reference to Spinal Tap, bb.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
^ ha ha, i got that Spinal Tap reference!

I'd tend to agree with Mozart on this one, but i do love C Sharp Minor, probably my fave key for classical music. Chopin uses it to great effect.
Quote by MastaBassist10
G major when I'm improvsing. When I jam, I live that "big band" jazzy swing sound, like Jaco Pastorious or Charles Mingus, and G major/A minor seems to be a good key to do that in. Specific notes? E#, probably.

Oh man, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. (I don't intend to be mean, I just feel the need to correct you. Nor do I mean to rant.)

Benny Goodman is Big Band Swing
Duke Ellington Is Big Band Swing
Jaco Pastorious is Jazz Fusion
Charles Mingus is Charles Mingus (Not Big Band Swing. Technically Hard-bop)