Poll: American Punk vs. UK Punk?
Poll Options
View poll results: American Punk vs. UK Punk?
American
73 32%
UK
63 27%
Both
83 36%
None
11 5%
Voters: 230.
Page 1 of 5
Which do you like better? One? The Other?! BOTH?!!! Wooooooooooooo! None? *Gasp*

Also, why do you prefer one over the other or don't like either?
Last edited by MattTheArsonist at Jul 5, 2006,
I voted US. It's not that one style is better than the other, it's just that a lot more of my favorite bands are from the US than from the UK.
I don't like that many punk bands from either......but the UK, as the clash are my favourite punk band....Although I do prefer the non-punk stuff....hehe.....Then the US has Iggy and the Stooges, who did some great punk. But still...the Clash pull it for me.
i havwent really been exposed to a lot of good UK punk-just the Clash and i love them. but more punk for me comes from the US.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Anti Cimex, Sweden
{-=***-|° Peace sells... But who's buying ? °|-***=-}
canadian punk. propagandhi...need i say more?
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
to tell you the truth and i dont know why i cant listen to uk stuff. i listen to everyother place in the world but uk.
Quote by planetary ruins
Mexican!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i think mexican first name that comes to mind is tragetelo...soo good.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
when i think mexican first name that comes to mind is tragetelo...soo good.

ahaha i played with tragatelo they ****in shred.I hear they may be coming back tothe bay area soon but i know mr crudos is doing other stuff right now so maybe not.........but they got nothing on apocalypse or discordia or coprofilia.
its a global massacre
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, since there is no such thing as a "true" American punk band (or that I've heard of), then UK... we invented punk, ffs.

haha your stupidity makes me giggle.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
well, since there is no such thing as a "true" American punk band (or that I've heard of), then UK... we invented punk, ffs.

Uh yeah...It's not like the first punk bands like The Velvet Underground, Iggy and The Stooges, MC5 or The New York Dolls came from the US. It's not. Really.

I put both. I like American punk a little better but I love UK punk too.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
American
A list of good US punk bands:

The Ramones
The Stooges
Dead Boys
Descendents
Minor Threat
Misfits
Minutemen
Black Flag
Adolescents
The Germs
New York Dolls
Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers
The Queers
Screeching Weasel
The Riverdales
The Catholic Boys
Alabama Jihad
The Soviettes

Try to hold a candle to that, UK.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Jul 5, 2006,
Quote by planetary ruins
Mexican!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mexican is ****ing awesome. I like Spanish(from Spain) punk too.
Atoxxxico has to be my favorite mexican punk band. Fallas del Sistema and Coprofilia are close to my favorites too.

Anyways, I voted UK because of G.B.H, and all the Anarcho and Crust punk bands that come out of there.
Quote by RedburN
Anti Cimex, Sweden

Hell yeah, this dude knows what he's talking about
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Let's see The Voidoids, The Stooges, The Ramones, The Dead Boys, New York Dolls, Velvet Underground, Fear, the Germs, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, and many more bands I certainly missed.

Don't get me wrong, you Brits have some fine stuff, but what was happening to Punk in America from the late 60's through the 70's was magical.
Quote by RedburN
Anti Cimex, Sweden

if you go sweden you go totalt javla morker, ds-13, and bruce banner.
We have Holy ****!

We win.

If only the world cup were this easy.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by Pick It Up123
Canadian...U.S...UK...thats my order

ditto

I guess its more due to the fact that Ive only really heard 3 or 4 brit punk bands...

actually I dunno, somedays it'll be us, canadian, uk.... canada and us are pretty much on par in my books.... depends on my mood
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^ see, THAT'S what I mean by true punk, the 70's punk bands... I really could've worded my previous post better...

Punk was around in the US before it was in the UK you sillyhead.
It was garage rock actually.... the term punk rock actually came from UK

But total punk pwnage came from the US BABY !! YEAH !! GO JOHnNY !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Both...

The UK had quality punk bands like The Damned, Wire, The Clash, Eater, Stranglers, all the best Oi bands, the orignal anarcho bands i.e Crass, Rudimentary Peni, Zounds etc.

But the US had all those 60's Garage punk bands, the NYC 70's punk scene, and then the 80's hardcore explosion.

When concerning modern punk bands, I seem to be getting into more US bands, sadly. But generally I don't prefer one over the other.
The Music:
The USA got the music right in about the early 70's, but went sour by 1980. The UK musicianship was inferior to the US, but didn't really go sour. No score draw.

The Lyrics:
Both have something to say of equal importance. No score draw.

The Vocals: The UK was usually better, with a few exceptions *cough*one way system *cough* in the US, singers like Johansen and Manitoba were great.

Overall: The US gave us the best punk music for a great but short time, but the UK gave us more good music.
I like all you politically correct punkers trying to give objective answers by selecting the option for "BOTH" in the voting poll.

**** that noise! AMERICAN.
SIZE]
Quote by Deliriumbassist

HAHAHA

ok hear these names?
dead kennedys
the germs
iggy & the stooges
devo(early years)
the ramones
new york dolls
mc5???
velvet under ground the list goes on but....the uk has some of the best punk bands ever to have wallked the face of the earth like the clash
sex pistols
stiff little finger
the dead boys ,
cockney rejects

that list is endless to!!
you forgot the dead kennedys!always the good dead kennedys and operation ivy
I voted for UK because almost all of my favourite bands are from the UK, simple as that
Page 1 of 5