I've always heard a few of his song and liked them, but not been blown away.

Then a friend gave me this album...holy ****. Songs like "Stupidity Tries" have an epic quality to them that I've never heard by anyone in the past 15 or so years...and stuff like "Everything Means Nothing to Me" is just beyond gorgeous.

So two questions...

1. Does he play bass and drums on the album? I know he plays the guitar and piano...

2. Why does this guy not get more amazing popular and critical acclaim? Is it the Ben Folds syndrome (too poppy for the real indie kids, too indie for the pop crowd) or is it just people are stupid?
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
1. no, in the album sleeve credits, the bass is sam coomes on "everything means nothing to me" (my fav off the album), "in the lsot and found", "stupidity tries" and "pretty mary k"

drums is pete thomas on "junk bond trader", "wouldn't mama be proud", "can't make a sound" and then joey waronker plays drums on "stupidity tries"

2. i honestly don't know. he's amazing.
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
I always thought he was pretty popular amongst people that actually care about good music.

His music is just brilliant.
Everyone I've ever come across has nothing but mass amounts of respect for Elliott. He had just started to get really popular when he passed. He was nominated for an Oscar for his song on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack and he also performed on the show. This definitely got him a lot of attention. Who knows how far he could have gone. As it stands, he's a legend among those who know music.
This is probably his worst album, but good nonetheless.
John Frusciante Club Member #7
i'm not a fan. some people argue that hes had a bit of a nick drake thing where hes become more popular after his death, others argue that he is still under-rated. i'd like to remind everyone that hey did win an oscar. hes hardl unknown.
^ He didn't win an Oscar, he was just nominated. But if performing at the Oscars doesn't get you known then I don't know what will.
All of his stuff is better than Figure 8 (except maybe From A Basement on a Hill), but nothing he's done has ever been bad.
Roman Candle and his self titled album are my favorites. Figure 8 was great except some parts were a little overproduced. Everything Means Nothing To Me is definatley the best song from it. Probably one of the top ten best songs hes ever written.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
Really? Overproduced? I love the Beatles-esque quality the "overproduced" stuff has.

I don't think his all-acoustic albums are better.
Founder and member #1 of "The Beatles really are the greatest" club...PM me to join.

Quote by Zeus2716

but whatever you do, never, i repeat NEVER masturbate with hot sauce.
Elliott was a genius.

He got a lot of attention, I think, and his credibility's through the roof.

But figure 8 is probably my second least favourite, I suppose I just never got into it.

Either/or, Elliott Smith and XO are all amazin in every way.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
Either/Or and From A Basement On The Hill are my two favourites by Elliot Smith. Haven't got Figure 8, but i'll undoubtedly pick it up since I like his other work so much.
Quote by noise_is_good!
some people argue that hes had a bit of a nick drake thing where hes become more popular after his death, others argue that he is still under-rated.

I'd argue that he's over-rated, but personally I've never managed to see the attraction of his music (other than one or two tracks, such as 'Baby Britain') that everyone else seems to see.
He has undoubtedly become more popular since his death.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Suicide of a knife to the chest from what I remember, but there was something about the girlfriend murdering him. Don't really know.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Suicide of a knife to the chest from what I remember, but there was something about the girlfriend murdering him. Don't really know.

LAWL he wus jus tryin 2 rip of Kurt Kobain lawl.

Seriously Elliott Smith is probably the most consistent recording artist in history.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by slinks
But if performing at the Oscars doesn't get you known then I don't know what will.

Winning the Oscar?

I wouldn't trust the academy for music. They did, after all, choose "Its hard out here for a pimp" for best original song.

Anyway, Elliot Smith. I haven't listened to much. I can't say the stuff I have listened to was really enjoyable. Not bad, but not for me.
Quote by the_astronaut
I always thought he was pretty popular amongst people that actually care about good music.

He is.
Listen to my music here
he and his girlfriend were having a big argument, she got scared and locked herself in the bathroom. She heard him scream, and when she came out, he had stabbed himself in the chest with a kitchen knife. At least this is how she tells the story. There has been speculation that it was his girlfriend who killed him, due to the angle of the knife and whatnot, but it was never proven. I forget what the girlfriends name was, but i know she also dated kobain.
Damn, I thought there was only Figure 8 and From A Basement... I'm gonna get more stuff. Right now.
Last edited by boxcarblink41 at Aug 4, 2006,
^ Get X/O, it's perfect. Either/Or gets an8 or 8.5/10 too.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

2. Why does this guy not get more amazing popular and critical acclaim? Is it the Ben Folds syndrome (too poppy for the real indie kids, too indie for the pop crowd) or is it just people are stupid?

He does.

He's dead now but he's known very well in the musical world.

Get his other albums, they won't let you down, at all.

I have a kinks cover by him, called Dead End Street, nice cover.

Also, check out his old band, Heatmiser.
His girlfriend was called jennifer Chiba, and it was Mary Lou-Lord (who toured with elliott, had a brief romance, and recorded a song with him) who had dated Cobain...but anyway.

I have all his albums and his first three by far the best in my opinion. Although his final three are good, Roman Candle, Self-titled, and Either/Or are amazing.

Also, the "Basement II Demos" are amazing, and if considered as an album these demos would rank as amongst my favourite albums. (You can download these demos from http://www.elliottsmithbsides.com/BasementIIDemos.htm, and don't have any moral qualms because apparently elliott was fine with people downloading his music).

Also the heatmiser albums are good, especially Mic City Sons.
i dreamed i saw st. augustine
alive with fiery breath
and i dreamed i was amongst the ones
that put him out to death.
I don't like Figure 8 as much as his other stuff. Some songs are nice but I think a few of the tracks were poorly written and the elaborate production emphasises this. My favourite album is Either/Or followed by XO and then the self titled one.
I have ALL of his music, he's by far my favorite musician that ever lived. Figure 8 blows me away like that everytime...

He's popular enough to get nominated for a grammy for a song he did in a major motion picture. :P "Miss Misery", go watch the video of him playing at the Grammys on Youtube.com
hi, I've recently been listening to Elliot Smith, absolutely brilliant musician, but there is one song thats not mention under his tabs on ultimate-guitar.com, "Wouldn't mama be proud"

I did a search on google for them, but it appears that the sites that were hosting tyabs for this song are being sued by some organisation....

anyway, im asking, if you have the tabs, could you please upload them, or send them to my gmail please?

much appreciated

Richard
hackindabox [a t] gmail [ dot] com
Figure 8 really is better than people make it out to be. Oh well. All of Elliott's stuff is excellent.
Fender F-25 / Yamaha Pacifica 112 / Cort MR-710F 12-string
Last.fm
Quote by theseeker1985
hi, I've recently been listening to Elliot Smith, absolutely brilliant musician, but there is one song thats not mention under his tabs on ultimate-guitar.com, "Wouldn't mama be proud"

I did a search on google for them, but it appears that the sites that were hosting tyabs for this song are being sued by some organisation....

anyway, im asking, if you have the tabs, could you please upload them, or send them to my gmail please?

much appreciated

Richard
hackindabox [a t] gmail [ dot] com

http://www.sweetadeline.net/tabs.html

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Elliott Smith never put out a bad album or a crappy song. He was brilliant.
Figure Eight is, song for song, I think one of his best albums. It'd be wise to get all six albums. The progress is so exponential, it was just up.
Amazing.
Elliott rules. He rules so much harder for being successful in the music industry (to an extent) and also being butt-ugly. He's an inspiration for me.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
right now im really liking his cover of thirteen by big star, i saw it in his movie "lucky three" and ive been addicted to it since. he's done a lot of good covers, he does a pretty great version of black bird as well