Well, I decided to take the plunge and to build my own custom Crunchmeister® cabinet.

I've been pricing cabs, both new and used, and Avatar seemed the likely candidate for my money. However, since they refuse to ship to Canada, I have few alternatives that offer the features I'm looking for - at least at a reasonable price. Therefor, I've decided to build my own.

Last week, I installed a new 16 ohm Celestion V30 in my El Diablo combo, and the tone pretty much makes me want to have sweaty man-sex with my amp and cover it in my love juice. And I got to thinking, if 1 V30 can sound this good in a combo, imagine what a pair of them sound like in a closed cabinet.

So I decided to build my cab based on the Marshall 1932 2 x 12 cab. I ordered a second V30 speaker, Marshall handles, metal corners, jack plate, and a roll of tolex last night. I should have all my parts in within the next 10 days or so. From that point on, I'll only need the wood. The Marshall 1932 cab is made of MDF - not my preferred choice, so I decided to build my cab to the same specs, but out of birch plywood instead. And in the end, I'll have spent under $500 Cdn for the whole thing - a steal compared to what Marshall or Mesa 2 x 12 cabs go for. It's even significantly cheaper (almost 1/2) of what a Genz Benz cab would cost me.

Once I get started, I'll take pics of my progress and post the pictorial how-to guitar in the gear customization forum.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I did, but they never have the cabs that I want. Besides, it will still be alot cheaper to build my own. Plus, I'll have my own custom, hand-made cabinet.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Should be a good thread

I love the whole "...it official"
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I'm looking forward to it, really. It should be interesting to build.

Should anyone that has done this before and has any pointers for me, I`m all ears.

Quote by Crunchmeister
Last week, I installed a new 16 ohm Celestion V30 in my El Diablo combo, and the tone pretty much makes me want to have sweaty man-sex with my amp and cover it in my love juice.

sigged.

have fun with your cab building, i thought about doing so myself.
Quote by keeponrockin
sigged

LOL. After posting that, I KNEW someone would sig it.

Yea keep me updated. im thinking of building my own cab. Cant believe the prices of cabs these days.
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^man, i fell of my seat reading that. sigged.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
i had 2 old, Fisher stereo speaker cabinets. the big kind with 12in. bass speakers. i just popped them out and popped in 2 celestion standard 70. ran my old GK250ml. Lots of fun. stoopid-simple. at least I thought it sounded good
Quote by Dave_Mc

Marshall handles will provide a tighter low end than the loose, flabby Mesa handles. And being boutique handles, the Mesas cost more too.

Quote by adam02
Yea keep me updated. im thinking of building my own cab. Cant believe the prices of cabs these days.

Indeed. I've been shopping around, and outside of the value brands like Behringer and Kustom (who only make affordable 4 x 12s), I can't find anything for under $750 Cdn for a 2 x 12. I was considering a Genz Benz cab to match my amp. The store I bought my amp at had an older used Vintage series GB 2 x 12 for $600. They want $850 for the G-Flex 2 x 12 new. Our local Marshall dealer wants $900 for a goddamn Marshall 1932 2 x 12. We have no Mesa dealers in town, and I don't even want to venture a guess as to how much those buggers sell for.

So with good quality wood, I can build my own to Marshall specs, with better speakers (V30s instead of the G12T-75s) for under $500 Cdn. That's a good deal no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 6, 2006,
Quote by Dave_Mc

btw, how much are the speakers costing you?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
crucnh, you might ask brad (genocide) about it, but he's banned. if you have an aim, pm me and i'll let you have his.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by IndieMetalhead

btw, how much are the speakers costing you?

The speakers cost me $$118 US each (including shipping) from ebay.

Quote by gpderek09
crucnh, you might ask brad (genocide) about it, but he's banned. if you have an aim, pm me and i'll let you have his.

I don't use AIM. I'm all about MSN. I think I have it all figured out. I have my plans and all for it. The cabinet itself should be pretty simple. It's the tolex I'm more concerned about at this point. I want to make sure I do a good job of that.

Quote by Crunchmeister
The speakers cost me $$118 US each (including shipping) from ebay.

wow, that's a lot... I think you can get them for about £40 new here... (what's that, about $80/$90 Canadian?). Still, we get gipped on eminence...

and w00t, sigged. \m/
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You should get someone to make (or make yourself) a little plastic or better yet Metal logo for the front of the cab in you're name or chrushmeister would look awesome on the front of it. Good Luck with the whole thing, there is a guy near me who makes custom cabs and sells them on. He says he buys everything in bulk for around 5 or more cabs. Each cab to him then costs around 200 or 300 euro. He sells them on for over 500 each.

Also, I demand Soundclips when yer finished.
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow, that's a lot... I think you can get them for about £40 new here... (what's that, about $80/$90 Canadian?). Still, we get gipped on eminence...

The cheapest I can get a V30 for in town here is $199 Cdn - about $180 US. If I travel to Ottawa, the largest big city with real choice for music stores (250 km away), I can get them for about $150 each. So I did get them for a pretty good deal.

I was checking out at our local Marshall dealer, and he was trying to sell me the same speakers that are in the 4 x 12 MG cab for $130 each... what a ripoff...

Quote by Tarzan_man
You should get someone to make (or make yourself) a little plastic or better yet Metal logo for the front of the cab in you're name or chrushmeister would look awesome on the front of it.

There's a place not too far from my place that will cut aluminum with a CNC milling machine in any shape you want. When I get a good Crunchmeister logo drawn up, I may just go that route...

^ wow, that's a lot. I suppose for a few things, our prices aren't too bad...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ here we use them as dinner plates...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The speakers cost me $90 US each, plus $28 US shipping (actual shipping cost to the seller was $24 US, but REAL fast delivery).

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ here we use them as dinner plates...

- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
If your speakers are 16 ohm, wire them like this...

From the tip of jack, to pos of one speaker, from neg of that speaker to the pos of the next speaker then the neg to outside ring of jack (im dman sure that makes it an 8 ohm cab...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by SamDking

we don't really. We use vintage marshalls as occasional tables.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by SGKIDD
If your speakers are 16 ohm, wire them like this...

From the tip of jack, to pos of one speaker, from neg of that speaker to the pos of the next speaker then the neg to outside ring of jack (im dman sure that makes it an 8 ohm cab...

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your advice, but unfortunately, the wiring you're describing (unless I'm reading it all wrong) won't get me 8 ohms with two 16 ohm speakers.

What you're describing is wiring in series. In a series circuit, the total impedance (Ztotal) is equal to the sum of all other impedances. So in this case with 2 speakers (Z1 and Z2);

Ztotal = Z1 + Z2

Ztotal = 32 ohms

To get 8 ohms, you have to wire the speakers in parallel. Calculating that is a bit more difficult than series.

Ztotal = 1 / (1 / Z1 + 1 / Z2)
Ztotal = 1 / 0.125
Ztotal = 8

With 2 identical speakers though, it's easy to calculate. The total impedance of the parallel circuit will be 1/2 the impedance of one of the speakers (Z1 / 2).

So I have wiring covered for this thing. In terms of advice, I'm leaning more towards actual wood recommendations, construction techniques, potential internal / external baffling techniques / measurements / caluculations, tolex installation, etc.

Dove tail joinings with good wood glue would prove the best as far as construction goes.

3/4" Birch ply is a recommended wood.
Ok well thats true because i own a bagend cab wired in series, both speakers are 8 ohm , and the company claims its a 16 ohm cab.... sorry for the confusioin..lol
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by adam02
Dove tail joinings with good wood glue would prove the best as far as construction goes.

3/4" Birch ply is a recommended wood.

Cool. 3/4 birch ply is what I was going to use. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the tools required for a dovetail joint. I'm planning on using box corner joints (cut with a table saw) with inner corner bracings made of 2 x 2s. I also plan on glueing and nailing everything together, and possible reinforcing the corners with wood screws on the inside of the cab.

The box corner joints won't be as strong as dovetail, but it should still be solid enough. Besides, the cab won't move around too much. As long as it's solid and nothign rattles, then I think it should be fine.

Quote by SGKIDD
Ok well thats true because i own a bagend cab wired in series, both speakers are 8 ohm , and the company claims its a 16 ohm cab.... sorry for the confusioin..lol

Yeah, no worries. I figured I'd just post an explanation on how speaker wiring works, since the thread is about cab building.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 6, 2006,
Here's a great reosurce if you need anything for you cab:

http://www.mojotone.com

They have speakers, hardware, pre-made cabinets - EVERYTHING. I believe they ship to Canada too.
Lava Man

Your One Stop High-End Custom Cable Shop
Quote by Dave_Mc

we don't really. We use vintage marshalls as occasional tables.

ah. my Fender Bassman is a recycling bin
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.