Hey, what are advantages and disadvantages of bigger strings? I play a Epiphone G-400 and am thinking about getting something like .11-??? strings. I'll be playing some heavy stuff like SOAD and eventually I might want to play in Drop C(just for songs that require it) for a abit. Whats a good size/thickness? Thanks.
Small strings are faster to play and easier to bend

i have 9 - gauges and can play drop C easily without any fret buzz but it's all a matter of personal preference

P.S i know this doesn't fit here but could someone please tell me how to start a new thread cos it's really bugging me
11's will be perfect for what you need. I use my Ibanez SZ with 11's, and it goes anywhere from standard to Drop C without a problem. You might want to get a setup for it though, so it plays better in each of the tunings.

IMO, there are no disadvantages to a heavier gauge.....after a while, you get used to them, and they are just as playable as a thinner gauge.

^Wrong and wrong....thicker strings are just as fast and playable....just need to get used to them.

And I don't know how loose you like your strings, but there is no way 9's can play well in C.
that sounds good for the tuning u want to use. the disadvantes of thicker strings are they dont bend as good as light strings and stuff like that.
Thicker strings have a much..well...thicker tone. They sound better.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
im great at sweeping but horrible at pinch harmonics

i like 11's because they have a considerable thicker tone and last longer to an extent.
AND AND AND... i like the way they feel :P.
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

Thicker strings are slightly harder to bend and slightly harder to pick. You will get used to it pretty fast though. I would reccomend Ernie Ball Beefy strings. The 11's in these strings come with obviously with the treble strings that usually come with .11's but the bass strings are the ones you find on .13's. Good stuff.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Fair enough. my strings do end up quite loose but it's still playable. I may only need to get used to it but that's just one more thing to get used too...
Well my aunt's taking my guitar to the place I got it, I think there going to put on heavier strings(I'll ask for .11s) and the guy at the shop said he would set it up for heavier strings. What will be the side effects when I occasionally switch between Drop C and Standard tuning with these strings?
Make sure u adjust your neck properly as well if u making a change of gauge cos it could warp it
Nothing...tension will be slightly tighter in E and looser in C....still perfectly playable in both though.

And get a normal set of 11's...not a hybrid set, like the "beefy's" recommended...they feel very unbalanced when playing across the entire fretboard or doing full chords.
would 13 gauge be good for tunings from e standard to a standard? my brother wants to know. he like thick strings, apparently.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
would 13 gauge be good for tunings from e standard to a standard? my brother wants to know. he like thick strings, apparently.

I wouldnt get 13s..The low E string would be wayy too thick.I got some 12s and i couldnt even put the low e on my guitar because it was so thick
Quote by OneloveSkater
I wouldnt get 13s..The low E string would be wayy too thick.I got some 12s and i couldnt even put the low e on my guitar because it was so thick

okay, so I'll get him another set of 12's
I use .11's on my Yamaha which is in C standard- 3 steps down. Not because I play metal or anything, because I don't, but I keep it in that tuning because I can, which is a good enough reason for me. I usually capo it at the fourth fret anyways.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi

A standard? I don't think there is an A standard...

13s would be good for E standard though.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by doive
Small strings are faster to play and easier to bend

i have 9 - gauges and can play drop C easily without any fret buzz but it's all a matter of personal preference

P.S i know this doesn't fit here but could someone please tell me how to start a new thread cos it's really bugging me

There is a new thread button. It is the same placeas were it says reply above the first post but on the first page
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Quote by Strat_Monkey
A standard? I don't think there is an A standard...

13s would be good for E standard though.

A standard is ADGCEA, and I had 12's and tuned from D standard to standard, and it seemed to break with too much tension, like uptuning from standardto F# standard.