I'm goin to check out some amps tommorrow in a local music store, and the JCM is among them. I was checking out the reviews on HC (gotta love it) and I noticed theres like 423,000 (give or take) different 900's. What differences do I need to know about (I'm a Marshall n00b)? I know sometimes companies will take a really good amp and than make a ****tier version and add on an extra number, hoping some clueless guy will buy it. Basically, kind of like the entire MG line....
Here are the differences in models. My favorite model is the 4100. They are basically more aggressive JCM800's which are basically more aggressive plexi's.
Ive tried both the SLX ones and own a Dual Reverb and the Dual reverb is really nice.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
So are the different number series just different re-issues or something?
^Well it came out two series: the Dual Reverb and the SL-X ones. The Dual Reverb i IMO better, has two channels and separete reverb for each channel. The SL-X has one channel but two gain knobs.

The models:
4500: 50/25 watt head of the dual reverb
4100: 4100/100 watt head of the diual reverb
2500: 50/25 watt of the SL-X ones
2100: 100/50 watt of the SL-X series
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ they are built like tanks. Ive had mine for like 6-8 years *cant remember exactly how long lol* and it goes everywhere with me...and most of the time the ride aint smooth. Yeah theres bumps, scratches, rips in tolex...and one of the little rubber feet fell off somehow and now it leans and wobbles...but it still plays like it was BRAND NEW! no scratchy noises in the pots or anything like that at all.

And really...you cant go wrong with an amp like this. You can go anywhere from clean Clapton to Hendrix to SRV to the heaviest metal *with the help of an OD* with ease.
i modded mine to maek it all tube, instead of it going through the 3 hybrid stages, it didnt make muvh of a difference , but its awesome
^ yeah i dont see why people are like "oh the 900 series suck they arent true all tube power blah blah" when it doesnt make that big of a difference anyways...
Ehh I went today and they didn't have any 900's but I'm still thinking about getting one and a Maxon OD-9 pedal. Will that work pretty well for metal?

EDIT: I played the Marshalls they had and they sounded pretty good, they were really gay about cranking em up though. I was like, "Do you realize what they are for?" Stupid music store employees...
Last edited by Trident at Jul 6, 2006,
yeah hah dang sucks you didnt fget a 900, i bought mine without ever playing it before, so im destined to try other marshalls now becuse jcm 900 tastes soo good.
Quote by Trident
Ehh I went today and they didn't have any 900's but I'm still thinking about getting one and a Maxon OD-9 pedal. Will that work pretty well for metal?

Yes, VERY well.
I think with having the combination of a jcm900 4100 (or any dual reverb), an OD pedal, and a compressor you can get every tone out of that amp. They are built very well (especially the earlier ones when Marshall was still Marshall) and are very easy to work on if you need to work on it.
Quote by llanafreak44
yeah i have the 1990 model thing. Are new JCM 800s bad?

are you talking about new as in late 1980's or the reissue of the 2203?
either way they are both very good.
resisuseus

good i was thinking of that my next amp( i dont pay for anything but i have a job so all of the money is mine =))))))))))
If you're gonna get an 800, get an old one. They were built better back in the day. The reissues are still good, but they dont have the same workmanship.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Gutch220
I think with having the combination of a jcm900 4100 (or any dual reverb), an OD pedal, and a compressor you can get every tone out of that amp. They are built very well (especially the earlier ones when Marshall was still Marshall) and are very easy to work on if you need to work on it.

True, i use that setup and can get almost every sound imgable. Also cleans on Dual Reverbs are really good.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band