Page 1 of 3
You caught me. It's not really a sequel. This is my first customization project. Over the summer, I had the intention to buy a cheap guitar from a pawn shop, sand it down, and paint it up real sweet. I don't know if I plan to do any pickup/electronic/anything else switches because I don't want to put a lot of money into it. I've already got 2 nice Jacksons, so a cheapy guitar like this couldn't really compare. So really, I'm hoping once its done my dad wouldn't mind hanging it in the basement as decoration.

I got back from the pawn shop about an hour ago. I managed to find a Samick. It's got some paint chips, which don't make much of a difference as i'm going to repaint it, but there are a few pieces that will have to be replaced should I ever want to actually play it. It's missing the whole jack and plate, which I will need to replace, and its also missing the bridge saddle, screw and spring for the high E string.

That's really the background behind it. The next post will have "before" pictures, that'll be in like 20 minutes.

EDIT: alright, here's the pics.

From this one you can see the paint chip on the right, and the missing saddle in the bridge.

There's a pretty big gauge there on the left. The one on the right is fairly deep as well. However, neither of them are down to the wood. I get the feeling i'm in for a lot of sanding. :P

The neck plate.
Serial number: 2082144. Would anyone be able to use this to find out what model this guitar is? I really have no idea.

I'm about to take her all apart now, and I plan to start sanding tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing a Zakk Wylde-style bullseye on it but I'm not entirely sure if that will look good. If anyone's got any suggestions, that would be super
Last edited by dbzrage3k at Jul 5, 2006,
Looks good dude, how woudl you do the circles, I have always wondered how you do that haha
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
haha well there was a thread in here I was reading, another guy did the whole Bullseye thing, he used wax paper as a stencil or something. I don't remember exactly, but if I do decide on a bullseye I'll go back to that thread and read it verrrrry carefully.
actually i think it was indielee who did the bullseye thing and i think he used masking tape then a pencil tied to a string to draw out the circles then just cut them out and painted it. i think, not real sure but pretty sure thats what he did.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Ah, well. He did a good job is all i remember :P If that's what i decide to do, i'll look into it more carefully because I really like how his turned out. I was thinking instead of cream and black though, i'd do silver and black.

And of course, i'm open to any other ideas, long as it isn't just one solid color.
Maybe you could make your own kind of design, by design I mean like EVH or circles. Try and figure somethign cool but yet pretty easy to do.
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
i was thinking of coming up with something completely original... easier said than done haha, that's why i'm so open to suggestion. I'm hoping someone will come up with a small idea and I can just run with it :P

So, I got her taken apart and gutted.

On the left is the box i'm keeping all the parts in- separately bagged and labled I'm an organized person.
In the middle, the neck. On the right, the gutted body.

Despite being all dirty and fingerprinted, the red color on it is actually really nice.

More pics will come once its sanded- which might have to wait until the weekend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE'S WHAT I NEED FROM YOU GUYS
-Suggestions on a name. I want to make a custom logo to go on the headstock, and possibly engrave the truss rod cover.
-Suggestions for a design and/or color scheme.
-Random tips/advice (types of primer/lacquer/paint to use, sanding information)
-Free money, donuts.
-Any ideas on what the model of the guitar might be?
Last edited by dbzrage3k at Jul 7, 2006,
maybe u could do a blood red and black design kinda make it real metal feeling u know
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
If I were you I'd sand it, and then repaint it with a similar red. Then tape off the body and spray fake binding/bevel in a cream color all around the body. Then sand the headstock down to maple. That'd be a pretty slick looking axe.

EDIT: Like this...
Last edited by Slavik at Jul 6, 2006,
I like the binding idea, but I would like to do something a little more flashy with it than just a solid color. Since it couldn't play as well as my other guitars, it will mostly be for show.
Quote by metalmilitia74
maybe u could do a blood red and black design kinda make it real metal feeling u know

I was actually thinking painting it red and then splattering black on it, to give kind of a reverse blood splatter effect.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I think the blood splatters would look wicked... but in the end i'm hoping my dad will be willing to hang it up in the den in the basement as a decoration piece, so I'd like to keep it classy, i suppose.

What i'm thinking now, is that I'll do the bullseye thing, but see how it's got little bevels at the bottoms of the horns? That would make the bullseye pretty difficult. So i'm thinking i'll paint the bevels black, and have a thin black burst so all the way around, like in this tutorial:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/burst.htm

and then have the bullseye on the inside. What do you guys think?
Okay, I have a different idea for the guitar, other than just the standard bullseye. I know i've kind of abandoned the "classy"ness i was looking for, but I think it looks wicked cool :P

what do you guys think? I'm still willing to change the colors, as black/red, while evil-looking, are severely overdone.
^ Its going to be especially tacky if you do it that way, i vote for the simplicity of the bevel\respray
You guys aren't listening, I don't want to just respray it the same ("or similar") solid color. I'm not looking for "simplicity". It doesn't matter to me if it's tacky or cliché. I just want it to be something fun and flashy.
Last edited by dbzrage3k at Jul 9, 2006,
Yeah its alright, something different aye. But dont do the star man, looks..well to be honest I think it would ruin the paintjob, plus it would be hard to get peeeeeerfect. I really rally dig the cirlces not in the middle actually, so do it!

but just without the star.
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
I don't think a bullseye will look good on it. A variation of a design is a good idea but not of the bullseye.

Or you can stain it, if the grain is good. You'll get your red and darker shades within the grain.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Last edited by IndieLee at Jul 9, 2006,
What if he sands it, and stains, its not guna still have the red....?
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
Quote by lespaulmarshall
Yeah its alright, something different aye. But dont do the star man, looks..well to be honest I think it would ruin the paintjob, plus it would be hard to get peeeeeerfect. I really rally dig the cirlces not in the middle actually, so do it!

but just without the star.

Hey thanks man, and its not a star, it's a pentagram :P

Any suggestions as to what to use in place of the pentagram then? I do like the idea of starting the circles off-center, but I think it would look dumb if it just started with a random, empty circle. Something's gotta go inside :P
I'm also still open to suggestions on which colors to use.
FLAMES go from red to black
or fade from red to black and call it the FADE TO BLACK guitar
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Quote by spanerman
FLAMES go from red to black
or fade from red to black and call it the FADE TO BLACK guitar

You're a fricking genius. I never thought to design it after a song.

Cowboys From Hell is like my favorite song ever. I could use symbols describing the song and its themes, as well as symbols towards Dimebag (my freakin hero). I'm open to suggestions for that too

That's a great idea man, thanks.
IMPORTANT POST- PLEASE READ
Okay, here's what i'm thinking. Still want to use the off-center bullseye, but instead of the pentagram, i'm going to use a silhouetted revolver, with the barrel pointing diagonally to the upper-right. Still open to color suggestions.

I really really like the grain on the headstock (i'm sanding today- pics of that later) so i'm thinking of staining just the headstock. If you look at the Cowboys From Hell album cover, it's kind of in a black-and-white/old sepia color. I want the headstock stain to sort of match that.

For the logo on the headstock, i'm going to use the stylized CFH that you can find on pretty much any Pantera merch

I'm also debating whether or not to put the word "Pantera" on the neck. Starting At the 8th fret, i'd put a P, the size of the whole fret. At the 7th, an A covering just the top half of the fret. on the 6th, an N covering jsut the top half, and so on until the final A, at the 2nd fret, the size of the entire thing This way, it would match the official Pantera logo, and i'd be able to avoid messing with the fret markers at frets 3, 5 and 7.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Tonight I'll post some pics of what I'm intending to do, as well as the sanded body.
As promised, for anyone paying attention. I've got pictures of what I intend to do.

Obviously that's not what the stain is going to look like exactly, but I did what i could with photoshop. It just looks like its in shadow :P

I have no idea how I'm going to do this, as I really don't want to sand down or paint the fretboard.

This is what the body will look like. Imagine the yellow as more of a metallic deep gold.
how bout for the body you do that redneck flag from the great southern trendkill (i have no idea wat it is or means but ive seen dukes of hazard)
looks great Schecter, but since this is my first shot at anything like this I'd like to keep it fairly simple.
Quote by Schecter-06
easier said than done

...exactly. That's the problem, and t hats why i'm not using your idea...as cool looking as it is...

I'm almost positive that the whole "Cowboys From Hell" theme is what i'm gonna do. I think the circles look sweet with just the red on the innermost one.
yea, start out easy then work your way up,

Pantera never used yellow for ne thin, and i suugest instead of the gun you put a black CFH in it or....you can put the Dime *rip* 4 heads thing that is on one of his signiture ML Series Deans, that would look tight as hell
Quote by Schecter-06
yea, start out easy then work your way up,

Pantera never used yellow for ne thin,

**gold. It'll look freakin sweet.

and i suugest instead of the gun you put a black CFH in it or....you can put the Dime *rip* 4 heads thing that is on one of his signiture ML Series Deans, that would look tight as hell

I'm already using CFH on the headstock, and it's a Cowboys From Hell-themed guitar, not a Dime guitar so i'm not gonna use that Dean sticker. IMO, that sticker just looks tacky on those guitars.
Quote by Schecter-06
IMO the gun seems outta place..

oh well i like it :P Remember its a THEMED guitar, so i'd rather use a related symbol than a logo.
The red around the gun looks really out of place.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i like the gun where it is. i also like the bullseye design no matter what color, just the offset center looks alot different then all the same old bullseye designs. and with an airbrush schecters design wouldnt be too hard but ive seen that exact design on sooo many tattoo websites that it makes me sick to see a blatant copy in here
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
The red around the gun looks really out of place.

That's the idea. You can't tell me your eye wasn't drawn to it :P

and thanks metalmilitia
no cause i got the exact same thing tattooed on my left shoulder. i get sick of seeing it.lol

but no prob. i like your paint design, cant wait to see it finished.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
awesome. I just need to get up to the city to pick up everything I'm gonna need. Til then I should have my work cut out for me, sanding down these ****ING HORNS THAT ARE PISSING ME OFF

For anyone who cares, here's my list of stuff i gotta get

Guitar parts
Bridge (strat-style trem- the absolute cheapest one I can find)
Input jack/plate
whammy bar
strings

For Re-finishing
Sandpaper- 800, 1200, 1600 grit
primer
paint
lacquer
3M finishing compound stuff.

For the Headstock logo
Transparency printer paper
photo-mounting spray adhesive
lacquer

By the way, when I sanded down the body I figured out- this guitar is made of PLYWOOD. YAY.
Page 1 of 3