I like Ynwgie and Becker and such but can only play some of their stuff sicne most of it is so fast but anyway

I love that type of riff where the notes go down a scale but ever other note is the same one...for example in the main riff to Baroque and Roll by Ywngie (just learned it) it does it in the latter part of the riff. This is also in lots of solos I hear by many of my favorite guitarists.

So where can I find more riffs like this and other type of passages and riffs that have a classical technique in them? Maybe there's a website? I wanna brign as much classical into my guitar as possible.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Check out Vinnie Moore's stuff.

He uses that "technique" a LOT.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Its called a "pedal point". One thing you can do is look at pieces by Niccolo Paganini, especially the 24 caprices. If you want to talk "Virtuosic Classical Solos"...

Assuming you have the theory, harmonic minor is extremely common.

Oh, and look into "Toccata and Fugue" by Bach. If you like pedal tones and awesome baroque riffs you'll cream yourself twice over.
Quote by Freepower
Oh, and look into "Toccata and Fugue" by Bach. If you like pedal tones and awesome baroque riffs you'll cream yourself twice over.

God dammit, I was posting the tab of a specific part in that very song, but the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" page popped up and I couldn't post it, and my entire post was lost. I was going to re-tab it but you technically beat me to it, so I decided to just get pissed off about it.
But yeah, that's an excellent example, and exactly what came to mind when I was reading Gman's riff description.
Okay cool I'll try those out. I have a cd of Paganini's stuff (forget what pieces) and it's all great but I don't know if I don't know how much I can translate to guitar...I don't know I'll just try and find tabs and stuff, those will hopefully help.

Anyway, freepower, thanks for giving me the term for it. Did you learn that type of stuff from you teacher/school or do you know of anywhere on the net I could find general classical knowledge like these terms and specific aspects of each of the classical periods.

Oh god thank you for toccata and fugue. I just listened to the powertab and god there's so many riffs in there I wanna play. there's also tough parts (the beginning for one seems wierd) but yeah this is a great piece. Thanks so much. I have the Goldberg Variations and another cd called Musical Offering with lots of his pieces but nothing touches that <3
Last edited by Gman400 at Jul 5, 2006,
^Try the version on classtab.org

It's the best classical guitar tab site in the entire universe. Trust me.
Yup, why settle for neoclassical when you can get the real thing?

Check out some of Vivaldi's pieces. The violin solos in those make awesome guitar solos.

Also, try Mozart's Rondo Alla Turka. Sweet stuff.
Quote by yawn
Also, try Mozart's Rondo Alla Turka. Sweet stuff.

One of the greatest songs ever, in fact. Of any genre. I had the melody part just about nailed at one time, but then I tried to factor in the bass notes and I think I ended up fainting. Incredible song, though.
^ Lol, I'm trying to learn it fingerpick-style with the treble and bass. Right now I can play it maybe 1/8th the speed, and very awkwardly

I must practice \m/
Quote by yawn
^ Lol, I'm trying to learn it fingerpick-style with the treble and bass. Right now I can play it maybe 1/8th the speed, and very awkwardly

I must practice \m/

I should probably try that sometime, too. I was used to just playing the melody, with a pick. Sure, I could do it pretty fast, but with the bass in it it just sounds phenomenal.
Cheers to aspiring classical geeks!
Do you guys mostly play classical pieces classical style (fingerpicked with melody and bass) or with a pick (just melody?) Does it just depend on the song or what?
Quote by Gman400
Do you guys mostly play classical pieces classical style (fingerpicked with melody and bass) or with a pick (just melody?) Does it just depend on the song or what?

It's kind of up to you to decide. Wtih most classical pieces, you can instantly recognize just the melody without the bass, so just playing the melody with a pick is usually fine. However, if it's at all possible to add in the bass notes, I'd say do it, because in a lot of cases they make the song sound a lot fuller and, therefore, better.
Well, if you're going to go with just the melody,then im my opinion , it sounds pretty poor on acoustic or clean , you;re better off doing some kind of electric thing like the infamous JerryC with Canon Rock. With acoustic , fingerpicking is essential imo.
I'd like to hear a recording of some of your guys' neoclassical achievements.
Quote by tweeres04
I'd like to hear a recording of some of your guys' neoclassical achievements.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a complete oxymoron to me.
If any of you have heard bouree (spelling?) by Bach, you know that this is a great classical piece as well. it's a finger-style piece for the most part between bass and treble notes.
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
If any of you have heard bouree (spelling?) by Bach, you know that this is a great classical piece as well. it's a finger-style piece for the most part between bass and treble notes.

That's an awesome song.
Good call.
I knew it but haven't played it in forever :/