Quote by Holy Magenta
They're pretty good. Count/Counterpoint is a kickass song.

Don't you mean Point/Counterpoint?

But yeah, Tomas Kalnoky is a lyrical genius.
They are lacking.

I love Catch 22 though.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
The fist song on Everything Goes Numb was awesome, I havent listened to it in a while but I recall that record being very good.
Quote by 4e574e57363g
pwnt

Quote by VodkaPunk
Greatest post ever.
Tomas Kalnoky has such god-given talent at writing amazing songs. "Everything Goes Numb" and "Keasby Nights" are such incredible pieces of work. Combining middle-eastern, spanish, and other world music to ska is just genius. He's penned some of my favorite songs. Great instrumentation (he hums horn lines and then the horn players finese them) and great lyrics, Tomas Kalnoky is a god in the ska genre... I really made him seem like ska's Bob Dylan... but he kind of is...
he's like ska god or sumthin..
my personal favorite tho is here's to life... just has that awesome punch to it
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
Earth to Tomas Kalnoky:
We get it, suicide is bad.
Seriously, after the 3rd song of Everything Goes Numb, the lyrics got stale.
The whole album was about the same thing, over, and over, and oooover.
(Suicide, Suicide, Suicide!!)

I'm going to be seeing them for the first time later this month (the first time I tried, the show's line was up the block and around the corner for another good block 40 minutes before the doors opened) and I'm not really expecting much (Well after that extremely stale "re-imagining" of the classic Keasbey Nights.)

P.S.
Earth To Kalnoky:
Cheer the **** up.

**Feel free to check out my Riding the Fourth Wave tab
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Funny little tidbit: I listened to Everything goes numb so much that I stopped being able tell when one song ended and the other began.

I lstened to the album 3 times

Seriously though, I like them alot, but they get samey-samey if you listen to them in large doses. But I do like them. (really)
not all of it's suicide... but yeah...
me, i listen to everything but concentrate on the hornline, since that's my favorite part... that and i'm a boner...

and i'm not sure why u think keasbey nights redone was stale... seein as it was old music, but a slightly different arrangement on it.. tho whole concept was that they didn't care that ppl already have the music, it's that they wanted to produce keasbey nights as they thought it should have been... and to also prevent the new catch 22 from rereleasing it with only new cover art and nothing else... it's all explained in 1234 1234's interview
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
Last edited by RCT2head at Jul 6, 2006,
I downloaded a few of their songs, and I'm torn between buying Everything Goes Numb, or Keasbey Nights. Which would you guys say is best?
ill admit the lyrics are repetitive but if you read all his lyrics, theyre almost ALL the same thing..

listen to Gimp, same type of lyrics.

streetlight is working on a new album as we speak, but what sucks is theyre playing NEXT WEEK in the city, but idk where to get tickets, and i didnt know about that until yesterday! i've seen them twice, but they said they would play some of their NEW songs there.
Quote by M3LL0NC0LL13
I downloaded a few of their songs, and I'm torn between buying Everything Goes Numb, or Keasbey Nights. Which would you guys say is best?

everything goes numb is their original album, keasbey nights is a remake of a catch 22 album that the singer/songwriter/guitarist was in before Streetlight manifesto. they got into alot of arguments, and idk why but they wanted to remake keasbey nights.
Them and the Aquabats are the only two ska bands that I really enjoy.

And while the lyrics do have a similar style, they're not all about suicide. Violence is a pretty prevalent theme, sure, but there's some variation.
They aren't really even ska. They're more of an emo band with a horn section, but I still like them. I saw them open for the Aquabats a couple months ago, it was kind of stale, they didn't put much feeling into the songs and stuff. They are one of my favorite bands though.
Quote by the glue man
They aren't really even ska. They're more of an emo band with a horn section, but I still like them. I saw them open for the Aquabats a couple months ago, it was kind of stale, they didn't put much feeling into the songs and stuff. They are one of my favorite bands though.

more of an emo band?....hmmm check out patent pending...they're emo/ska
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by the glue man

I don't see where you're coming from.
Yeah, from what I'm listening to, they're the opposite of emo. That's music-wise, not lyric wise, I haven't really read into the lyrics at all, but they're definately not emo. They might be a tiny bit poppy, but it's all good.
Quote by RCT2head
not all of it's suicide... but yeah...
me, i listen to everything but concentrate on the hornline, since that's my favorite part... that and i'm a boner...

and i'm not sure why u think keasbey nights redone was stale... seein as it was old music, but a slightly different arrangement on it.. tho whole concept was that they didn't care that ppl already have the music, it's that they wanted to produce keasbey nights as they thought it should have been... and to also prevent the new catch 22 from rereleasing it with only new cover art and nothing else... it's all explained in 1234 1234's interview

I know why they did what they did.
I didn't say other wise.
(I own the album, I strained myself to listen to that computer interview.)
The reason why I call it stale, is cause the drums sound HORRIBLE (even for a punk/ska/emo/whateverthehell band) the horns sound out of place, and possibly even worse than the original in some places, AND the guitar tone sounds like a vietnamese boy being beaten to death by a cat.

And...
About all the songs (Say 10/12) on Everything Goes Numb are about, related to, or mention the emotions, or the act of SUICIDE!
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by vlp_dope

Man, everyone seems to like our local Long Island ska scene. We do have a huge one.
I like BOTAR better. Catch 22 is okay, but as far as I know they don't have a single original member left.
Quote by vlp_dope

They don't really have a bouncy type beat like most ska bands (some of their songs do), and they aren't too happy. haha. So they are emo/ska/alternative maybe? What eva.
Quote by Holy Magenta
Oops. Molly (rockeroller), I was at your house when I typed that and I think you were saying something funny that was distracting.

sure, blame it all on me
Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy

I'm going to be seeing them for the first time later this month (the first time I tried, the show's line was up the block and around the corner for another good block 40 minutes before the doors opened) and I'm not really expecting much (Well after that extremely stale "re-imagining" of the classic Keasbey Nights.)

Yeah, really don't expect too much. I've seen them twice and they were horribly boring both times.

Streetlight absolutely killed Keasbey nights, I still don't actually know why they bothered.
However, the one thing in their favour is that they do have a very good bassist.

EDIT:
Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy
AND the guitar tone sounds like a vietnamese boy being beaten to death by a cat.

Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy
I know why they did what they did.
I didn't say other wise.
(I own the album, I strained myself to listen to that computer interview.)
The reason why I call it stale, is cause the drums sound HORRIBLE (even for a punk/ska/emo/whateverthehell band) the horns sound out of place, and possibly even worse than the original in some places, AND the guitar tone sounds like a vietnamese boy being beaten to death by a cat.

And...
About all the songs (Say 10/12) on Everything Goes Numb are about, related to, or mention the emotions, or the act of SUICIDE!

WEll you have your own opinion, as well as every1 else... personally, i'd hafta say that the hornlines kicked ass, and the drumming was going for a more traditional jazz feel while not totally throwing the original drum tracks out the window... as far as guitar, kalnoky is a beast, i mean, i've tried to keep up, but he's not only playin fast power chords, he's playin fast regular chords as well
Quote by telex289
everything goes numb is their original album, keasbey nights is a remake of a catch 22 album that the singer/songwriter/guitarist was in before Streetlight manifesto. they got into alot of arguments, and idk why but they wanted to remake keasbey nights.

He remade Keasbey Nights when he found out the record label was going to re-release it with "Bonus Material", and because he thought the sound was intolerable on the original. Streetlight Manifesto is one of my absolute favorite bands, I saw them live on the 5th and they blew away my expectations.
I think they are alright, both catch 22 and streetlight are both too whiny. Nice horn line though. And the vocals are pretty unique.
Quote by pinheadslts75
I like BOTAR better. Catch 22 is okay, but as far as I know they don't have a single original member left.

BOTAR is god