Someone told me when I go to change my pickguard. I would have to remove the Pickups and the tone, volume, knobs and the 5 or 3 way switch. Then I would have to disconnect the wires to the input jack, and tremelo block To completely remove it. They make it sound like I would have to take the whole guitar apart to change it. I know this next question sounds kinda stupid but. Has anyone ever took there guitar to a guitar shop and had someone change it for you if so how much did it cost?
There's some work involved... everything you mentioned is what you have to do, except for the part about disconnecting the wires to the input jack and the trem block... and you also don't need to completely take the pickups out of the guitar..just get them out of the pickguard..it's not a hard process really...It was something I was able to pull off pretty early on.. just ask questions here along the way if you need to..it's not worth taking to a shop..
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Prestige
Custom Made Electric
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
It's easy. No soldering or any bull****, just straightforward screws. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I'm new to this and I would hate to mess something up just trying to save a buck. Is there a website that explains it in great detail? Preferable one with pictures
Quote by hamish5178
It's easy. No soldering or any bull****, just straightforward screws. . .

yep true. though if its your first time at doing this and you dont trust yourself then take it to a shop to get it done
im guessing ur a little new to all of this but ill give u a step by step...

first ur removing the strings. this can be a problem already, ull need to make sure u can set up the strings again afterwards.

then u unscrew all the outter pickguard screws and the guard will lift off. two wires will still be connected to the input jack.

(that's an input jack, with wires connected, the outside nut would be unscrewed, and the middle part gets pushed back into the guitar.)

-thru the routing hole to get the guard completely disconnected.
i just desolder the wires, and the reconnect after. but pretty sure the jack will fit thru that hole.

so far should take about 10 mins.

ok now that the guard is off.

thats a guard off and flipped over.

u pull off the knobs on the other side and then undo the nut holding on each of these pots.
then u need to remove each of the two screws holding on each of the pickups (keeping an eye out for the springs with the screws.

and u need to remove the two screws holding on the switch. the switch cap on the other side also lifts right off.

this all takes about 15 mins to remove.

once u have all the parts off, u transfer it over to the new guard. (hopfully u shielded it. )
u attach all the parts and push the input back thru the hole to the jack.

rescrew everything, and screw on the guard, push the knobs back on and restring.

total time about a half hour.

**ignore all the writing on the pictures. those are for other tutorials.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 6, 2006,
It's a lot easier on a Les Paul

Wait, jenny, it's a strat, do you need to take the input jack off?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
yeah that's what i do. but i think u might be able to get the middle part if the input back in thru the guitar.
but its probably much easier to remove the wires at the volume pot.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
yeah that's what i do. but i think u might be able to get the middle part if the input back in thru the guitar.
but its probably much easier to remove the wires at the volume pot.

actually i dont think you can
why wouldnt u be able to.

ive done it on a few other types of guitars.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well i dont know, maybe it could get stuck in the hole.

on the other hand, if u just took the pots off first, you could probably leave the wires hanging there. but that would take even more talent. trying to connect everything with no wiggle room.

its just easier to solder the wires.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeh though like you said you can take everything off your pickguard without having to remove wires and then put the new one on and just screw things back. though i prefer to undo the solder from the input jack and trem claw
dont do it if your afraid to, cause chances are you'll screw it up then
that's my policy.

i've never done it, so i couldn't really tell you how to
Last edited by pacoasterrider at Jul 7, 2006,