can anyone tell me an excersise that i can do to get my left hand stronger? any help would be liked;.
THANX
hold for ex a B on the G string and then to hammer/pull-offs between your index fingers and gop trough the others.... hop you understand...
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
keep doing scales
keep doing hammerons pulloffs (like the guy above me said)
work out with exercises that work the forearms
play for more than at least an hour (preferably more than four) at a time with songs that require leads and not just chording
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by backtothe70s
hold for ex a B on the G string and then to hammer/pull-offs between your index fingers and gop trough the others.... hop you understand...

can i see where u got that statistic? is it real?

threadstarter: why do you need your left hand stronger? run through scales, then just make it faster and faster, pull off more, just practice whatever you are weak at.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by 812many
can i see where u got that statistic? is it real?

at.

hu? it sure works good for me when mixed with other exercises
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s

he means the statistic in your sig...my sig too actually
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by backtothe70s

oh, my bad. i meant your sig. where did u get the stats for your sig?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Play stuff like this all legato, pick the first note and hammer-on/pull-off
-----------------------------------------3h5h7-7p5p3----------------------------------------
---------------------------------3h5h7-----------------7p5p3---------------------------------
-------------------------3h5h7---------------------------------7p5p3-------------------------
-----------------3h5h7-------------------------------------------------7p5p3-----------------
---------3h5h7-----------------------------------------------------------------7p5p3---------
-3h5h7---------------------------------------------------------------------------------7p5p3-

the fingering i use for tis one is 1,2,4
move the shape around the fretboard and try different shapes with different fingerings
masturbation.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Play Jimmi Hendrix's "And The Wind Cries Mary" - key of F - use all barre chords. Play over and over. Really wears out the fretting hand.
B_A
Strength really shouldnt be too much of an issue save perhaps barre chords on an accoustic.

I'd say if you think you need strength, perhaps try practice playing more effortlessly, not fretting harder than you need to, etc.

Tab your four fingers against a desk until they feel soar. Do it everyday.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
If you do this one correctly you should feel it in your palm. When it starts to hurt stop and take a rest.

E|-1-2-1-3-1-4-2-3-2-4-3-4-1-2-3

You should see the pattern. It's 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4 ... then 2, 3, 2, 4 .. then 3, 4 and then finally 1, 2, 3

Repeat for all strings.

There are a couple of VERY important rules to follow when you do this one. If you don't follow them you're not doing it properly.

1) Your thumb must be in the "correct" position at the back, center of the neck at all times. You can not wrap your thumb around.

2) Your 1st finger must always be fretting 1st fret. Do not lift it, ever.

3) When you start fretting 2nd fret to do 2, 3, 2,4 don't lift your 2nd finger either. So at that point in time both 1st and 2nd finger will be pressing down. And then when you do 3, 4 your 3 fingers will be pressing down. I hope this makes sense.

And that's it. Just keep repeating it for all strings 6 strings up and down and keep at it as long as you can. It will build your strength and if you're doing it right you should start to feel it after a while.

Edit: Rule #4 - almost forgot - you should also be alternate picking. This excersise has the double benefit of also building up your alternate picking technique.
Last edited by garett at Jul 6, 2006,
Quote by rabidguitarist
masturbation.

You beat me to it. Actually someone posted this one time before. One way that someone said is the old newspaper method. Get you a news paper and fold out all of the pages. Now grab each one with your left hand and crinkle it into a ball just using your left hand. Once you do that, then do another one and another one and another one........... In my opinion, masturbation is more fun than balling up paper.
Quote by 812many
threadstarter: why do you need your left hand stronger? run through scales, then just make it faster and faster, pull off more, just practice whatever you are weak at.

Getting strength in your left hand helps you control it more, which does increase speed.

-KR
Quote by Slurgi
Strength really shouldnt be too much of an issue save perhaps barre chords on an accoustic.

I'd say if you think you need strength, perhaps try practice playing more effortlessly, not fretting harder than you need to, etc.

Well it is if you want good legato
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Slurgi

Oh really.
People, this isn't the pit. Quit with the masturbation.

Bust out the metronome, and go through some 3 note-per-string scales. This will increase flexiblility, speed, and strength.
^^Doesn't matter if its the pit or not. If you are not left handed then anything you do to work out your left hand can help make it stronger. Thus we get masturbation.
lol this isnt a masturbation thread...and probably since he ejacs prematurely it wont matter in helping him :-P
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by thepagesaretorn
lol this isnt a masturbation thread...and probably since he ejacs prematurely it wont matter in helping him :-P

In the words or Aerosmith "Dream On" and in the words of Neil Armstrong "F*ck off." Don't be pissed because the bartender cut you off last night. Lets wait for a couple days now to come up with another funny comment to add shall we?