Ok, i have recently gotten a new amp, a marshall jtm 45 reissue head and 2x12 cab (amazing amp) and i cant find a good distortion pedal to work with this..my main guitar right now is a mexican standard strat with custom '69 pickups and since this amp is single channel i need a distortion pedal..so far i've gone through the boss metal zone, boss mega distortion, and at the moment i have a ds-2 turbo distortion which i dont like either...im looking for a frusciante/incubus/satriani sound...any suggestions?
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
you can do a whole lot with the dime distortion but if you want a supr cheap higain distortion pedal get the fab metal. its insane. especially for 15 bux.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
BC Rich Platinum Series Beast
Epiphone Goth Les Paul
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Hartke GT100 Head
Hartke GH412a Cabinet
Dunlop Classic Wah
Danelectro FAB Metal
DOD Phaser Pedal
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
I heard somewhere that Vai used a DS-1. Try looking at a Tubescreamer, even though it is only an OD, you can get some decent amounts of gain. Oh, and maybe a Big Muff.
Well theres tho alternatives: an attenoutor (Marshall plexi like get awesome distortion with volume on 10) or a tubescreamer (that way youll get nice tube overdrive).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
One thing you should take into consideration is ALL the big boys, from Rob Zombie, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipnot, MudVayne, and ext all use an Ibanez Tub Screamer.

They sell for like a $120 bucks. If so many pros use it, that speaks volumes within itself!

Check out guitargeek.com
ive tried tube screamers..not enough gain for me..i need it a little heavier and i dont wanna turn my amp up full blast all the time just so i can have good distortion with a tubescreamer cause i wont have any cleans
^Well the thing is that a distortion pedals wil give you dull SS dist and a tubescreamer gives natural overdrive. But i you wnat clean soudn to a JTM-45 was a bad diea, since its jsut one channel.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If you were looking for a high gain distortion, then the amp you bought was a very bad idea......

It is a one channel amp, that can either do cleans, or a mild natural overdrive when really pushed.....

DO NOT GET A DISTORTION PEDAL....might as well have bought a SS amp instead.

You'll need an overdrive pedal....chances are, you'll need a few of them to get the gain you're looking for. Then comes a noise problem, so you'll probably need a noise gate also.
so if i went with overdrive would two tube screamers be enough for stuff like rhcp(stadium arcadium stuff), and incubus(morning wiew, or make yourself era)??
^RHCP uses Fuzz, wich is extremly nice. can you return the amp? If you can do it and get a JCM900, wichwill easly handle that.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

no i bought the amp from an individual for about half price (which is why i got it), so it cant be returned so i have to work with it for now...so would putting an overdrive over a fuzz work or would that just sound bad?
^Well probably not, but it will be good for RCHP style of music (i got to try a real 79' Big Muff today and it was awesome).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

ok well i think i will try to use a couple of overdrive pedals over each other and see how that works...thanks for all the help
^Ibanez TS-9's or Maxon OD-9's are nice. Id say get the following to get ncie higher gain tones out of it: an attenuator (THD Hotplate) and a Maxon OD-9
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I've never heard of an attenuator..is this a pedal or what?
^No you plug it between the amp and cab, you can play your amp at 10 and then the attenuator turns the soudn to heat, so you can get nice sounds at normal volumes.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

ah ok...but i still would not be able to switch from clean to distortion in the middle of a song...thats why i was thinking about a couple of overdrive pedals so i could just switch them on quickly
^Well to be honest you might aswell sell the JTM-45 then, for the money you get from it you can easly aford a JCM900, wich can switch between to distortion.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^Youre welcome, fi you ahd lived in Sweden id have traded with you, i wnat a Plexi (its my dream amp of all time), but a JCM900+ Maxon OD-9 shoudl handle mroe or less anything.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Don't you dare sell that amp!! It's incredible and pretty hard to get your hands on. Get a boss bluesdriver pedal. It can easily handle very heavy rock tones - anything that doesn't sound like a bassy fart or a bee snoring. It has a hell of a lot of gain. My friend uses one on his jcm800 on the clean channel, and gets substantial overdrive by increasing the level on the pedal. This way, the tubes overdrive whilst remaining under the volume settings on the amp. Add in a great overdrive provided by the pedal and you're away. Don't overlook it because it has blues in the name!

Good luck man

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

^Well true, but if he wants heavy tone its hard to get with a clena amp with an OD.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I've tried the pedal on an ac30 and got some obscene tones out of it. Seriously though, try the pedal. With a jtm, you can get an acdc tone without any gain, just by increasing the level. Gabel does have a point.... It'd just be a real shame to get rid of such an awesome amp for a 900. I've got a 60 watt 900 (600) and I love it.... It's just that I wouldn't take it over a jtm 45

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I've tried a blues driver on an old gibson tube amp but it still wasnt what i was looking for, i would have to say thats my favorite boss distortion pedal but it didnt have the modern tones i wanted...i mean i guess a jtm 45 isnt the best thing in the world for modern tone but i love the cleans more than anything so i wanna keep it...i guess i'll just keep trying out more pedals until i find that perfect match..
Dont they use a BOSS DS-1?
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much