so im a loyal fender user but my friend called fender "gay" *yeah he is immature* and he likes gibson *lol but he doesn't have one* so *and yes i know theyre different but whats your opinion on em?* so what do yall think which one is best?
Quote by drunkinkoala
It's weird, kids want to be adults and adults want to be kids.

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
You know you're a guitar player when you would rather use the internet to look at pictures of guitars than spread eagled chicks.
clean sounds, rythm etc = Fender

More rock things = Gibson
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
They're so different, how can you really compare them? And this thread has been done like 9,000 times.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
im a gibson fan myself. but its clearly a personal preference. you'll have to compare them for yourself.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
tell your friend to jump off a cliff and catch his eyelid on a nail

i perfer gibson
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
your friends a jackass. Fender>>>>>Gibson
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i really enjoy lp's sound but not the body. . .i really enjoy a strat's body but not the sound.
both companys have a wide variety of instruments but i think sounds most important.
this one has to go to gibson
me(they call me there les paul and im like a f*** you he's dead) n jack bought some seeds, we grew them, then we just f***** smoked them. Thats what we do in fairy world we smoke, rock, and just f***** smoke some **** that is so good man.
its all preference

i used to be a fender guy, tele to be exact. I used it to play some pretty heavy stuff. I was prety convinced that i loved fender

then i played some gibson LPs, and i went and got an LP studio with burstbuckers, its great. Then i found myself using lower gain amps, like a vox30 instead of a jcm900, whats next?!?!? i dont know, so dont hate on guitars or amps just cuas eyou dont initially feel them, it takes time to generate your tastes, and mine change quite often.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Gibson is better than Fender in every possible way.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
haha wow
not again
im pretty new here and i've seen this a lot already

clean = fender is amazing at that
distortion = gibson is better
It's a matter of preference-------- I own both and wouldn't give up either
Play as many as you can, then decide
prs! but really whats with the fender gibson thing. whay no esp vs jackson or schecter or something. there are more that 2 companies.

fender = clean, some rocks tones
gibson= ddistortion, old rock acdc type tones some metal
ibanez= shredding
ESP= metal
bc rich = sad excausefor metal

so theres more than fender and gibby. but between the 2 i prefer gibson
Well. I like both.

I like..

Strats
All the wierd fender shapes
Telecasters (especially)
Les Pauls (especially)
SGs
Firebirds (especially)
ES's (both the thin 355 type, and the more acoustic sizes 170 types)

I also like most ibanezes and Prs's

The point is.. if you say a "fender' cant do metal, you should remember that you can get mahogany strats with humbuckers, and that you have Gibsons with single coils and minihumbuckers.

Also ESP releases some good guitars for rocking out (well, the ones with SD passives at least).
I'm going to say Fender because of general versatility (more specifically I would say the HSS Strat). But I would also like to point out, as some others have done, that this is a sadly futile debate.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
She grew on him like she was a colony of
E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
It was an American tradition, like
fathers chasing kids around with
power tools.
They are different for different styles. All depends on what you play.
My Gear:

2006 Fender American Strat
'58 Reissue Korina Gibson Flying V
1963 Harmony H53 Rocket
Squier Tele Custom II

Fender Champion 600
Quote by REBARMAN99
It's a matter of preference-------- I own both and wouldn't give up either
Play as many as you can, then decide

I agree, they're both great pieces but they have totally different sounds imo. You can go from a Clapton strat sound to a Yngwie strat sound. Or a Dickey Betts Paul sound to a Zakk Wylde Paul sound.