Page 1 of 2
ok, here we go, i just resently told my guitarist and drummer that i dont like bass and that my main instrument is guitar, you may know him, jolson27. i will admit he is better than me but i am also a good guitarist too. the stuff we play (weezer, old green day, smashing pumpkins) arent hard at all so its gay because theres no hard stuff to play that im not capable of. they dont wanna get another bassist and have 2 guitarists because they say they like the 3 of us.

.....isnt this gay? i think most of every alternative band should have a rythm and lead because it doesnt sound full when u play solos and lead riffs with just bass and lead guitar

who agrees and disagrees?
Ehh, on one hand I think those alt bands can get along fine with 1 guitarist. Solos don't always sound bad over just a bass (good example would be Dream Theater, but they have great production and in the studio they usually layer it anyway.)

I think bands should almost always have 2 guitarists but to me an alt band just doesn't really NEED 2, especially if you're covering Green Day and Weezer.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
You should suggest playing harder music.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Bass and drums are a plenty full sound without needing rhythm guitar.

But you as a musician should play what you feel like.
i like when there's two guitars. makes it sound fuller
and the rythm guitar makes up 4 wat the lead guitarist
can't do alone.
heres the thing, i started a band with my friend dustin with us as the guitarists, then joe(jolson27) cam in and was bassist, then we got a drummer, then we decided to have joe be the guitarist, which i didnt want but he was better, but i;ve also gotta better. so idk. dustin is my best friend and i dont wanna quit the band, but i just dont like bass......maybe ill just play a gameboy, go around playing pacman or tetris, headbanging,

i tried starting my own band, but they suck lol, you can listen if you want, myspace.com/sumitrock, in half the songs our other guitarist who i have kicked out, his guitar sucks, and he also sucks and sounds like ****, so i quit that band...ya anyway,
you can get by with one guitarist. just try to make your own stuff up if covering songs doesn't feel right.
haha. psh. don't do that. that's lame. jp.
just try to find a really good bassist or
somethin and then if he/she's better than
u, then joe will want him/her to be the bassist
and that'll leave the rhythym guitarist position
open 4 u...right? i dunno..
Quote by WeezerRocksHard
whenever they try and make something up, its all indie and stuff. i want to make stuff like ozma, nerfherder, old weezer, like good old hard alternative

if your tastes don't work together, the band won't work. or you could do some intricate basslines with the indie stuff.
either way, i dont care if we play the stuff i like, im still not going to play bass, cause ya. i dont like it. also hes always dissing on my bc rich, which i know was a bad choice, i got it when i first started playing, well i've fitted it to my tastes, i customized mostly everything on it to sound how i want it. it was a good amount too, 450 for it new. that pissed me off to. he thinks all my equipt is gay, i gotta a 125 watt crate but hes like "oh ya thats gay" just cause he doesnt like the tone. hes very ignorant
well, first he said that why not just have 2 guitars and no bassist, and i and joe told him that wouldnt work cause everyband needs a bassist, right? lol ofcourse. and hes like oh, and then he agreed with joe. we have a gig on the 13th and im not going to play it now. so that will teach them something lol, a two piece band if they cant find anyone. and get this, trevors little sister accutaly cryed when i told them i was quiting lol. i swear. im just so loved by 10 year old girls.....is that good or bad? lol. good suggestion 4 string
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Their solos own. They have one guitarist. Their solos sound great.

Play what you wish, I play bass for my band when I'm better than the rythm guitarist, but I'm a better bassist also. He sucks at bass, so I play it. I love it, and it doesn't bother me that I don't play guitar, even though I like it as much as bass.

Don't be such a bitch, just because you want to play guitar doesn't mean you can. If he's better, and it's better for the band, don't complain. Seriously, why does everyone want to play guitar so much? *cough attention*
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Originally posted by AccidentsHappen
Seriously, why does everyone want to play guitar so much?

AccidentsHappen how can u say that!? this is a guitar website.
that's y everybody here luvs guitars!!
WeezerRocksHard-o well, how old r u? cause u asked if being luved
by 10 year old gurls is good or not. cause if ur like 16 then..uh..noo. lol.
Quote by AccidentsHappen
Red Hot Chili Peppers

Their solos own. They have one guitarist. Their solos sound great.

are you serious? john frusciante is a great guitarist when he wants to be, which is pretty much only in the rhythm in rhcp, the solos there are so minimalist and boring.
i thought both weezer and smashing pumpkins both had two guitars anyway?

either way, i would just stay on as bass if i were you, and try to convince them to find another bassist. if you find another bassist, then play rhythm guitar and let the other guy take lead. that way you still have a band and have a possiblity of playing guitar. if they dont agree to at least try you on guitar, then just stick it out and play guitar when at home.
i'm like the opposite but i still wanna play guitar. i play speed/heavy metal bass and not to be an asshole or anything, but no one i've met is better than me...but maybe that's cuz i hang out with all guitarists and singers, hahaha. no really tho, i know wut ur talking about with being unhappy with your situation. i play bass in my band now and have been for 8 mos. but now i've bought a sweet friggin amp (btw yours does NOT suck, i like crates. u just gotta know how to dial in tone. for wut ur playing try this: Bass-6, Mid-7.5, Treb-6.5. That should do fine...maybe) and now i'm starting my own band with me on lead guitar and lead vocals as well. Just tell these kids to stop worrying about HOW MANY kids u have in ur band and how WELL you're playing and getting along. Cause ur wrong if u think a band will work where ANYONE is more than slightly unhappy and/or ppl are being close-minded. Good luck trying to fix things and/or good luck starting a new band.
If your goal is to develop musically then I would suggest following the route which would lead you to improve that. Whereas, if your goal is to entertain a circle of friends then you should continue on your current path. Sure, jamming with friends can be fun, but when you play with a group of musicians who are always trying to better themselves in sight of great expectations it's a lot more satisfying.

Good luck,
BE
well, personally i think ur almost being a baby over it. i'm sorry but unless he's outright being a huge dick and it's coming across as blatant as possible then he's not "breaking up a relationship" over it. dude, bass isn't he11! lol. Just learn to play lead bass or tell them to stop being babies and have 2 guitars. the music sounds fuller and ballsier that way and rock is about gutsy ****, so do it up! good luck, but stop whining. lol jk.
getting a pianist for the band could enable you to switch between guitar and bass if you wanted.
Quote by Gman400
Ehh, on one hand I think those alt bands can get along fine with 1 guitarist. Solos don't always sound bad over just a bass (good example would be Dream Theater, but they have great production and in the studio they usually layer it anyway.)

I think bands should almost always have 2 guitarists but to me an alt band just doesn't really NEED 2, especially if you're covering Green Day and Weezer.

Smashing Pumpkins have some often intricate two guitar arrangements.
Weezer often has two distinct parts.

If you can't hear the difference, chances are you're not quite the musician you think.
yes, yes, yes, now i guess im the infamous "jolson27", but hey, what he's not telling you is that part of the big reason of him quitting the band was the difference of our musical interests. Me and the drummer (trevor), like weezer, ozma, and then a bunch of lighter stuff (nada surf, and various indie stuff). but josh (weezerrockshard), likes weezer, ozma, and a bunch of heavier stuff like slipknot etc., which me and trevor really dont like at all. so when it came time to write songs and learn covers and put together stuff, josh didnt agree with us, resulting in a problem.

hope that clears things up.

thanks,
joe
Quote by mishra
are you serious? john frusciante is a great guitarist when he wants to be, which is pretty much only in the rhythm in rhcp, the solos there are so minimalist and boring.

Just because you arent playing as fast as you can doesnt mean it isnt great
listen to "i could have lied", he's one of the most emotional lead players around :/
Quote by WeezerRocksHard
whats the difference, you get a fuller and better sound with 2 guitars anyway

I would say that a bass would give you a fuller sound then a second guitar. Don't be a little pussy and just play the ****ing bass. And by the way Mike Dirnt has always kept me interested when I've played his stuff...........Try some newer green day if you must play them. Or you oculd play real music, like um.....tool
thanks for helping these two (at least the people who actually are) I'm Dustin, I'm usually the other guitarist (and resident psycologist) of this band. I however am in California for a month while my mates are left in Chicago. Theres only so much I can do over the phone. But Josh (WeezerRocksHard) and Joe, listen to these people, they know what their talking about and have good ideas.

Quote by Nor'Easterbass
well, personally i think ur almost being a baby over it. i'm sorry but unless he's outright being a huge dick and it's coming across as blatant as possible then he's not "breaking up a relationship" over it. dude, bass isn't he11! lol. Just learn to play lead bass or tell them to stop being babies and have 2 guitars. the music sounds fuller and ballsier that way and rock is about gutsy ****, so do it up! good luck, but stop whining. lol jk.

well most of them anyway
Page 1 of 2