im started playing guitar a few days ago, and ive been going to local shows for few years, every band ive seen has a kind of crunchy sound to there guitars....how is that done? i know its distortion, but how? i have a peavey amp with built in distortion and it dosent sounds crunchy......please help....plus pick slides...ive heard about them from everywhere and ttried it in as many ways as i can think....anyone know how to do a proper pickslide? do u need any particular pedal?
You could use a pedal to getthat crunch, but its better to just wait, become a better guitarist, then buy a nice guitar and amp. And I have no idea how to pickslide.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
slide your pick down the string, usually the low e. from the bridge to nut it goes high to low, nut to bridge its low to high sounding
You can pick up a somewhat decent distortion pedal for around 15 bucks, thats how you get the crunch, just pick up another cable for it, because you'll need a cable from your amp to your pedal, and then another cable from your pedal to your guitar. To pickslide, all you do is slide your pick down the strings/fretboard.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
ok..thanks guys......i have an ibanez thrashmaster pedal, but its FRIED.....never got to play on it, i bought it off a friend and it was shot...im pissed...anyone recommend a good pedal? emailing me some stuff would be cool.....theconjuror2008@yahoo.com, since ive been going to shows i know alot of musicians, so i know some basic stuff like muting, chords and all that jazz....but if anyone could possibly tell me the best way to go about learning to play/writing songs for punk/metal/ska....anyhting would be AWESOME
just get a boss ds1 ther like $40
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Cocnut Rag
just get a boss ds1 ther like $40

ditto. Unless you want to spend more.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
She grew on him like she was a colony of
E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
It was an American tradition, like
fathers chasing kids around with
power tools.
If you want to spend more the digitech df-7 is what I use and it is amazing, you can get alot of different sounds out of it but it runs at around 100
For pick slides, try starting to scrape about halfway between the neck and middle pickups (if you have a strat style guitar) or in between the neck and bridge pickups if you have 2 humbuckers. And slide it quite slowly.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by theconjuror2008
im started playing guitar a few days ago, and ive been going to local shows for few years, every band ive seen has a kind of crunchy sound to there guitars....how is that done? i know its distortion, but how? i have a peavey amp with built in distortion and it dosent sounds crunchy......please help....plus pick slides...ive heard about them from everywhere and ttried it in as many ways as i can think....anyone know how to do a proper pickslide? do u need any particular pedal?

it probaly has to do with your settings try boosting your mids and treble and cut back on the bass.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
it probaly has to do with your settings try boosting your mids and treble and cut back on the bass.

yeah my beginners mistake was having the bass cranked up, because i always thought that's what made the great sound, but keep the mids and treble up.