ok, i plan on purchasing a schecter c-1 hellraiser w/emgs of course. now i hear a lot of different things on them. first of all i hear that they are really good with clean tones, which being that i play metal stuff would be outta the picture. i also hear two different things on the distorted stuff: some people say that they work well unless u tune down, with me i tune down to drop-c, so theres a concern. and other people say that they just blast away and make that 'metal crunch sound', sound absolutely spectacular. i have a reall ****ty amp right now so i know they wont even sound close to good, but i plan on gettin the peavey 6505 combo which will definatley bring on the noize. so i would appreciate it if some people with some past experience with emg's could possibly give me sum of yo imput.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
They have really high output and arent as great as most passive pickups on cleans. the 81's clean isnt that great at all its a pure distortion pickup.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
I've had a bad experience with EMGs. The sound was very thin and toneless.

But it may just have been the amp (Crate Blue Voodoo 120)
Quote by dez_cole
They have really high output and arent as great as most passive pickups on cleans. the 81's clean isnt that great at all its a pure distortion pickup.

so without completely confusing me again, your saying that they arent as good cleans as people say, and that the high gain 'crunch' sound is really good, right...?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
I'm in a mostly Classic Rock cover band and I have the Zakk Wylde LP with EMG's and I get a great tone out of them when my distortion is on like 4 and when I turn the gain up I get such a powerful distorted tone that is playable with any type of music.

EDIT: Btw, I use a Marshall VS which may help the tone out a little.
i know alot of people are going to say they suck for cleans, but i have a LTD ec-1000 deluxe with a 60 and a 81 and the cleans sound comparable to my ameri-strat. the distortion on the 81 is great ... whole lotta crunch. and i downtune to C too and they sound great.

basically high gain and great cleans. very well rounded
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

ok thats kewl. this is just another quick note i just noticed, is there any differencte between the emg's and the esp/emg's in select esp models?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
Quote by Refixer
I've had a bad experience with EMGs. The sound was very thin and toneless.

But it may just have been the amp (Crate Blue Voodoo 120)

yes it was- or possibly the guitar, cuz a very thing guitar with emg's doesnt sound that great

and crates suck, for emg's to really sound good you need a tube amp
^but if i remember correct, a crate blue voodoo is all tube?

ps, if it is a thin sounding guitar, (eg strat), it wont sound any good
thats why they sound good in ...ahem... bullseye les pauls lol
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Last edited by powerage225 at Jul 6, 2006,
idk if it is or not

but its a crate- and i had a guy at guitar center try to sell me a crate- a nd i tried 5 or 6 amps- even tube i think, and they sucked balls, nothing emg's would suite imo- or maybe it was just these ones

idk

it could be the guitar he had them in anyways- idk
I play metal and I tune down to drop C. I have an ESP EC-100QM that is a **itty stock guitar. I put the ZW set (EMG 81, EMG 85) in it, and let me tell you, the distortion and pinch harmonics that come from the 81 are amazing. The 85 gives it an awesome warm rich tone, perfect for leads or sweep picking. And by the way, even if you don't care about the clean tone, with the right settings it also has a superb clean sound when your pickup switch is in the middle position (both pickups are being used). Oh, if you DO decide to get EMG's, get a pair of the active pickups (i reccomend the Zakk Wylde set 81,85) the tone that comes from the passive ones aren't near as good. The actives are usually a few dollars ($20 maybe) more but are definately worth it. I hoped this helped you a bit.

Grant