i dont know if this is the right forum but is all around the world by the red hot chili peppers all slap bass? im nearly positive the beginning is?
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
thats what i thought thanks guys i just love that whol song bass wise and had to know how to play it correctley
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
Quote by elemenohpee
Nope, The only part of the song slapped are the 4 open E hits in the beginning.

I don't even know if that is slapped. If I turn on my Big Muff and set the pickup selector back to the back string, and really dig in deep with fingerstyle, I can pretty much get taht tone. Its kind of like overdriven overdrive... hard to explain. If I had a video I could check it...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Not one bit of that song is slapped. he just beats the **** out of strings ! I take my certainty from the Greatest Hits book...
yea its just dug in really hard seeing as flea uses the back pickup to play off where the strings have more tension. Definately live he plays it fingerstyle so i presume so on the studio version aswell.
who are you to wave your finger......
Yeah, there's no slapping in this song. I don't understand why everyone thinks the verse is slapped?!?
Fury- Breathe in deep, and cleanse away our sins
And we'll pray that there's no God
To punish us, and make a fuss

Chalking up the frequent loser miles day by day.
Quote by Applehead
Not one bit of that song is slapped. he just beats the **** out of strings ! I take my certainty from the Greatest Hits book...

dude, bad proof.

Give it away is slapped according to the GH book.

but the only part slapped is the 4 open e's at the beginning, and even that is doubtable. I think it is slapped, but it really is overdriven overdrive- you can get it by pulling the string really hard, or by slapping too hard. It's the sound of an amp on OD being overdriven lol.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I have a video of it live in Sydney and it looks like Flea slaps the E's at the beginning.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by UtBDan

Give it away is slapped according to the GH book.

What one have you got, Dan? Because mine doesn't say it is slapped..? Mine is by Hal Leonard, ISBN: 0-634-07418-0

That the same.

Apologies all, i made a mistake, i was at work at the time but that book doesnt have Around The World.. i was thinking of By The Way..

Thing is with all these songs is that bassists play things differently all the time.. You can never really positively say unless you've asked Flea how he recorded it. Unless it is obvious of course...
Quote by UtBDan

but the only part slapped is the 4 open e's at the beginning, and even that is doubtable. I think it is slapped, but it really is overdriven overdrive- you can get it by pulling the string really hard, or by slapping too hard. It's the sound of an amp on OD being overdriven lol.

That's exactly what I said before

And this is one of those things that really doesn't matter. As long as you play the notes in time, and they sound fine, then its OK.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
By the way ain't slapped (verse), if thts wat ur on about. (i have GH book+DVD, also californcation book) Flea doesn't really slap them, just twats the **** outta the Estring lol, mind u, tht is a slap to him. just say is an uncontrolled slap......What u worrying about this bit for anyway, u wanna try and keep up doin the verses, in the book it says to do the high bits on the Dstring (tht is ****in hard), i do them on the G, 7+9 fret or what have you (in the video he also does this) So actually, the book may be wrong as it says bout the Dstring when it ain't. O, And dnt forget the bass fills.......

EDIT: Give it away slapped ???????? WTF???? I dnt think any of tht is slapped.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Yeah but saying "watch this video of them live in whereever" is no help at all cos I seen Flea play a super fast slap break during the breakdown bit and also seen him play something slow and short fingerstyle.

In my opinion, there no slap on it at all. Yeah the 1st 4 E notes sound like they have been slapped about the park but i serously doubt he recorded it that way. Distorted slap bass never sounds that super anyways, gets way too fuzzy
or put into the FAQ. *sigh*
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!