How do you phrase/ put for feeling in to licks that are fast? I can put alot of feeling in to a phrase that is slow/mid tempo buts its harder at a fast pace. Any suggestions?
TBH, it's not easy to have a lot of feel in playing fast. But things you could try is to progress with the rhythm underneath (assuming that you're talking about lead). Hear the chords or the notes hit underneath your lead playing and follow them and find "special" notes that sound better then the others on that specific note or chord being played under your solos. EDIT: As John Petrucci said, "Do what's best for the song, not what's best for your particular part" (if anyone can tell me where thats from i'll give them a cookie).

Try to be unpredictable as a lot of shred and faster crap is pretty predictable these days. To be specific: maybe after you play a fast lick, don't just land on a note a few frets away but maybe go play something further away from where you played the fast run. EDIT: Or you can mix in a bunch of styles. Say if you were playing something in a 12 bar blues pattern which is pretty simple, you would probably know the notes and stuff being played underneath by heart. And you wouldn't have to play blues for all of it, maybe go from blues to jazz to neoclassical to whatever.

Another thing you can try is to use various speeds. Yngwie and Satch does this frequently and it's usually affective (more so with Satch as he plays some notes even more long then some unlike Yngwie where the notes are all just lightning speed but different speeds so it's hard to notice). To be specific, just go from a small part of a lick in tuplets, say in a triplet of 8th notes then slow down with one quarter note or something then go to a even faster tuplet.

This is all I can really think of right now. Hope this helped.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by MetalToTheEnd at Jul 5, 2006,
Quote by MetalToTheEnd
TBH, it's not easy to have a lot of feel in playing fast. But things you could try is to progress with the rhythm underneath (assuming that you're talking about lead). Hear the chords or the notes hit underneath your lead playing and follow them and find "special" notes that sound better then the others on that specific note or chord being played under your solos.

Try to be unpredictable as a lot of shred and faster crap is pretty predictable these days. To be specific: maybe after you play a fast lick, don't just land on a note a few frets away but maybe go play something further away from where you played the fast run. EDIT: Or you can mix in a bunch of styles. Say if you were playing something in a 12 bar blues pattern which is pretty simple, you would probably know the notes and stuff being played underneath by heart. And you wouldn't have to play blues for all of it, maybe go from blues to jazz to neoclassical to whatever.

Another thing you can try is to use various speeds. Yngwie and Satch does this frequently and it's usually affective (more so with Satch as he plays some notes even more long then some unlike Yngwie where the notes are all just lightning speed but different speeds so it's hard to notice). To be specific, just go from a small part of a lick in tuplets, say in a triplet of 8th notes then slow down with one quarter note or something then go to a even faster tuplet.

This is all I can really think of right now. Hope this helped.

It helped. Thanks!