Well, I finally had time to play with my amp tonight. I hadn't done much with it since installing the new Celestion V30. I've had so many changes on this amp in the last few months that I haven't been able to really find that special 'ME' tone. I know this amp has it in there somewhere with its new configuration, and the tone in this clip is damn close.

So since I just saw the Unholy Alliance tour 2 days ago, what better to debut the amp and it's new speaker than a Slayer classic, the one that they opened the show with on Monday. Note that I was using my Agile, so I didn't have a tremolo to do some of the dives and ****, but I winged it.

I added some vocals too, but not the greatest.

Anyway, enjoy.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=830460&T=5316
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 6, 2006,
I use an M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card, Cakewalk Sonar 4 and an Alto L20 mixer. I have my amp miked with a Shure SM-57. I recorded the bass direct line into the mixer. Vocals are recorded with an Apex 435 condenser mic.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

that was a good recording. nice vocals and guitar. good job
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
your amp gives me boners lol...hey crunch im from cambridge ontario, how much did you get that amp for and where?
The clip owns crunch and so does the amp! I wish this was a full song. It mad me kinda sad when the song stoped.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
excellent, quite frankly. Good singing too!

there's a definite clarity to the vintage 30 along with a characteristic growl to the mids that I really like. There's an attitude there.

Is that vintage 30 broken in yet, crunch?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by d_byrne23
your amp gives me boners lol...hey crunch im from cambridge ontario, how much did you get that amp for and where?

LOL. Gives me boners too. The more it goes, the more I love this amp. And this new speaker makes it sound like a completely new amp. Needs more tweaking, but it's getting there.

I bought the amp in Kingston at Kingston Soundworks. They're our local Genz Benz dealer. The amp was $1425, and I got a healthy $900 trade-in for my 5150 combo.

Quote by Dave_Mc
excellent, quite frankly. Good singing too!

there's a definite clarity to the vintage 30 along with a characteristic growl to the mids that I really like. There's an attitude there.

Is that vintage 30 broken in yet, crunch?

Well, working on breaking it in nicely. Still working on perfecting my tone, but this is getting pretty close though. The V30 really helps too. It's got this nice voicing. Can't wait to have my cabinet built.

That was great Crunch! Loved it, and your singing was great too! I missed this before, sorry to bring up an old thread. Was this clip using the stock tubes and just the V30, or was this after the upgrade? Kickass man
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Erock, thanks for bringing up an old thread, or else i'd have missed it too. dang that is killer. i need to record some stuff to, but i havent got the time. i get a day off and i need to do stuff, then i back to work the next day. so its like im always busy. that and i sleep in till about 11. but hot dog, i love the tone. you use one mic for the guitar amp?
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
hm, some of the tracks sound kinda solid state, some of the tracks sound kick ass?

you're a really great singer if it hasn't been stressed enough already.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
sorry for the bump, but I tried a genz benz el-diablo 60 combo the other day. It kicked ass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Erock503
That was great Crunch! Loved it, and your singing was great too! I missed this before, sorry to bring up an old thread. Was this clip using the stock tubes and just the V30, or was this after the upgrade? Kickass man

This was post-upgrade. I have both the new tubes and the V30 instealled.

Quote by angusyoungwanab
you use one mic for the guitar amp?

Yeah. Just close-miked with an SM57. Once I get my 2 x 12 cab built, I'm going to try more recording with 2 mics. I'll probably use my Sennheiser e609 for close mic, and set the SM57 back a bit.

Quote by Dave_Mc
sorry for the bump, but I tried a genz benz el-diablo 60 combo the other day. It kicked ass.

I was totally impressed when I first tried it. I couldn't manage to dial in that perfect tone, but I knew it was in that amp somewhere. The new tubes alone made a phenominal difference. The new speaker even more of a difference. This is once seriously badass amp, especially if you have some serious hands-on time with it and get to know it well. I've found my perfect jamming sound, and I'm zeroing in on the perfect recorded tone.

^ aye, it's excellent, that's for sure. I noticed that too about the dialling in- it's a little like a mesa in that respect.

absolutely pwns mesas for my money, though. And it's about 5/8 the price of a recto here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice tone. You managed to get a heavier tone out of it then I did at the store.

I wasn't fond of it when I tried it because of it's super smooth voicing. It just wasn't my thing. Clean channel wasn't very good at all to me. This is probably because I didn't get the chance to crank it but from what I played and heard, the clean just didn't work. I could definately hear the Genz Benz in your clip.

bryne, if you ever visit t-dot, visit Rogers music centre on Rogers rd. They have the same combo as Crunchmeister (El Diablo 60C) for around $1200. I don't remember the exact price.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Odd, because at store levels, the clean tone was what impressed me most about it. It was one of the best-sounding cleans I'd heard out of any amp for some time. I knew my dirty tone was in there somewhere as well. I just didn't manage to find that with the stock tubes. Ruby Reds are great tubes, but not for metal. They're Carlos Santana's tube of choice, so that should say something about their sound and quality. The new JJs are much, much better.

gotta watch guys like Crunchmeister gentelmen, this guy could make an MG sound good, so be wary.

seriously kickass Crunch, it sounds like one hell of an amp from your clips. I see it also has a bias pot adjustment. The fixed non-adustable bias is convenient, but the adjustable is the best for getting best sound IMO. Did you adjust the bias yourself when you changed the tubes? Also, I assume you stayed with the EL34? They should just make an upgraded model with the V30 judging from your clips. Do you have any clips using the stock speaker?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The amp also has a switch on the back to select between EL34 and 6L6, which makes tube swapping pretty simple too.

I switched from the stock EL34s to some JJs E34Ls. They're similar to EL34s, but give more headroom and have a much smooother tone. I did have to adjust the bias myself, as swapping the tubes jumped the current up about 150 mA.

I also tried some 6L6 tubes, but I didn't care for them as much. While they gave me a chunkier dirty tone, they kind of ruined my clean tone.

And I do have a couple of clips...

This clip was recorded the day I got the amp, and it was compeltely stock. I'd only had it for a couple of hours, so I wa still searching for my sound...

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=715784&t=7224

This clip was recorded about a month later after I had switched to 6L6 power tubes, and was using a Hotplate. So now I could get good pre amd power amp distortion in my tone.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=729300&t=723

lol, sounds great too. I definitely like the upgrades you did, it made it sound much meaner IMO, but even that stock clip sounds pretty good. And oh man, that 6L6 and hotplate sounds kickass! Dripping with that powertube OD, I'm liking that man. It would have been hard for me to give that up. Great clips man, you sing excellent too, I really enjoyed those. Thanks for the links Crunch
amp clips
amp vids