alright fine people of ug. i have narrowed my future amp to 2 choices.
Engl Savage 120
or..
Splawn Promod 100

i adore the splanws clean, and its crunch and lead are quite nice.

i enjoy the savages crunch more than the promods, but i cannot find clips of the clean.
questions:
1. hows the clean on the savage, will it do funk/jazz/blues?
2. how heavy can the promod get with OD pedal?
3. Is the savage worth the 300-400 more than the promod?

please, no "i guess engl seems pretty liked so i say get that, ive never heard of splawn" kind of posts. im looking for real opinions!
I think it's cos no-one's ever heard of a "splawn". I certainly haven't.

I do know that the Engl is great. Although it's favoured for it's high gain sound, I think it does clean sounds pretty well. With 120 watts, it'll stay clean even if you turn it up.
I haven't tried the splawn. And I haven't tried the savage (man, this post is going well so far.... )

I do own the savage se. And I wouldn't mind a splawn either....

From what I hear: the splawns are excellent in a "marshall but better" kind of way. What tubes does the promod have? kt88?

I know I'd probably like the quick rod, as it has el34's...

basically, if you want a more marshall-y tone, get the splawn (maybe the quick rod, though, unless you've tried both and like the promod better).

The savage is kind of like engl's take on a marshall, but it doesn't have el34's...

Man, worst post ever. It basically depends which tones you're after. My savage se gets great jazz and blues tones, but it's a little different to the savage.

So which tones are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well im in a funk/progessive/fusion band, so cleans are important, but i also enjoy playing deathmetal and hardcore. im looking for distortion like necrophagist/cannibal corpse, but cleans like joe pass, and whatever guitarist plays with Herbie Hancock.

edit: also i love the new mastersounds tone and john mclaughlins lead tone from mahavishnu orchestra.
Last edited by DBS_KICKS_ASS at Jul 6, 2006,
^ right, here's the problem. Number of those tones I'm familiar with = 0.

Bugger.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
u dont know john mclaughlin? or necrophagist?

I've heard of them obviously, but I'm not familar with their tones...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?