Ok, I'm pretty decent at playing but I just started looking at (barre?) power chords like this:

E-------
B---3---
G---3---
D---3---
A-1-----
E-------

I use my first finger for 1 and my ring finger for the 3's, but I can't get them all to ring out. Is there something I'm not doing right or do I just need to keep practicing these types of chords?
wow how do you think ur decent, seriosly i got laughed at for only being at barre chords. at a guitar shop and ive been playing for 6 months.
use all of your fingers is the easiest way. Index finger on the A string to play the 1, middle finger for the D string to play the 3, Ring finger on the G string to play the other 3, and finally your pinky on the B string to play the last 3. Thats the correct way and easier once u get a hang of using your pinky which is probly the best finger to use when playing guitar I find.
E-------
B------- This is how you do a A# power chord (My Bad) lol
G--4----
D--3----
A--1----
E-------
Last edited by les-is-more at Jul 6, 2006,
Quote by Leonheart
Ok, I'm pretty decent at playing but I just started looking at (barre?) power chords like this:

E-------
B---3---
G---3---
D---3---
A-1-----
E-------

I use my first finger for 1 and my ring finger for the 3's, but I can't get them all to ring out. Is there something I'm not doing right or do I just need to keep practicing these types of chords?

index on the A string and your ring finger on the other three
im sorry but no dont do that, i apologize for what i said, but im still angry at that guitar shop, pretty much cause i brought in my crappy squire acoustic for neck work. but um dont do that it will give you bad technique and wont be able to transfer from A based barre chords to E based barre chords. trust me its important, and how do you play A chord in the first position.
Quote by rcmaster0072002
wow how do you think ur decent, seriosly i got laughed at for only being at barre chords. at a guitar shop and ive been playing for 6 months.

I play mostly metal and some almost-shred type songs, so I never bothered learning beyond standard chords until now.
Quote by rcmaster0072002
im sorry but no dont do that, i apologize for what i said, but im still angry at that guitar shop, pretty much cause i brought in my crappy squire acoustic for neck work. but um dont do that it will give you bad technique and wont be able to transfer from A based barre chords to E based barre chords. trust me its important, and how do you play A chord in the first position.

don't do what?
Fingers as follows
-----
--3-- = tricky at first, but bar this one with your pinky while still holding the other string
--3-- = Pinky
--3-- = Ring
--1-- = Index
-----

This is the easiest way, for me at least
Oh my, please don't steer this budding guitarist wrong. Actually, it's rather an issue of preference on how you finger the chord, but technically power chords are bar(re) chords in which the 5th and 3rd notes are barred with a finger (typically ring, but pinky will work for smaller hands).

The arguement that the transition from E to A in the 0 position creates a problem due to utilizing a single finger to create the chord is rather rediculous, because with using more fingers would mean that you would have to move more fingers to change the chord.

It's a matter of how you want to finger it, but if you start to play a lot of fast rythym sections with power chords you'll find it much easier to use two fingers vs. four.

BE
I think its easier to just use my third finger but I guess I just need to practice getting it stronger to make all the strings ring.
Quote by jimmypage7
index on the A string and your ring finger on the other three

Thats what I do.
Yeah i also do the index on the root and the ring on the other three. Just practice it to build up strength in your ring finger until you can press all three strings down evenly.
i personally use my index finger to bar the first fret and then use my other three fingers to fret the A