hey, i've been playing bass for 3 years now, but i've only learned tab...i want to/need to learn the bass clef....i am the only bass player attending my college and the director is a good friend of mine and she said i am gaurenteed a stage band spot....my problem is i only read tab....whats a quick way to learn the fretboard and bass clef? thanks
Guitar
1972 Fender RI Thinline Tele(coming soon!)

Amp
Peavey Bandit 112----FOR SALE 150shipped con us

Pedals
Fender PT-100 Foot Pedal Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Digitech Grunge Distortion
Boss BF-2 Flanger(FOR SALE)
if you can remember how to spell your own name, you can remember the order of the bass clef. Honestly....there is no magic, just memorise it.

It goes:

From bottom to top in between the lines: A, C, E, G
From bottom to top on the lines: G, B, D, F, A

I always tell people not to remember it with some stupid rhyme, like All Cows Eat Grass, because you will forever look at the clef and be saying. Honestly, just remember it..

As for learning the fretboard, that's a piece of piss.. the way i done it was to set my metronome to a slow tempo, start on the G string with the first A, then by the next tick of the metronome, move to the next A on the string, then go to the A's on the D, then the A, then the E string. Start again on the G string this time with B... and so forth. Honestly works a treat, as you get better, speed it up so you have less time.. after a while you wont even think about where the note is, you will just go there straight away.

Good luck, and take your time.. there is no rush!
applehead is right. but bass clef will be cake compared to learning the treble clef.
^ Why? They are both the same, just different letters! Maybe it's easier for me because i learnt to sight-read on piano, using both clefs at the same time.. so they seem like one to me.
it starts on different frets on different strings, the letters jumble me up, and I don't play piano, but I hope to learn.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
....and I don't play piano, but I hope to learn.

I think it really helps bass playing for some reason. Jaco was a brilliant pianist, and he preached the benefits of it in bass playing..
bass clef is the simplest clef to learn, imo. a note resting on the bottom line is A. as u move up and up the stave, u keep going up the notes until the note is resting underneath the top line, which is G. then it starts over.

draw some kind of bass clef diagram showing u all the notes on a stave, stick it somewhere, eg in ur room, and look at it every now and again, test urself etc.
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by Applehead
I think it really helps bass playing for some reason. Jaco was a brilliant pianist, and he preached the benefits of it in bass playing..

I think knowledge on any other instruments help. Drums give you a better grasp of rhythm, guitar gives you a better grasp of lead & chords, piano gives you a better vision of chords, bass placement, and voicings, and violin is god damn cool if you can actually play it because I can't. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i can read the clefs and notes but i cannot read the timing. drives me nuts
thanks you guys for all the help!
Guitar
1972 Fender RI Thinline Tele(coming soon!)

Amp
Peavey Bandit 112----FOR SALE 150shipped con us

Pedals
Fender PT-100 Foot Pedal Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Digitech Grunge Distortion
Boss BF-2 Flanger(FOR SALE)
A few things you could do:
A.) Ask the director for a few peices of music you can learn on your own
B.) Private lessons
C.) Buy a book of blank sheet music, and transcribe your favorite album by ear (this is what I do... I'm doing "Tommy" by the Who right now)
D.) Pick up one of those Hal Lennord books for your favorite CD and put paper over the tab while you play the music, and then check yourself with the tab when you're done. Kind of like flashcards.
E.) Learn your scales! When you are reading music on any instrument with a neck, you are going to want to keep your hands over the key the song is in. For instance, if the song is in C major, you are going to want to have your middle finger on the 3rd fret on the A string, and all of your other fingers on a fret. It makes it so much easier when you see a note if your hand is already in the right position. Switch hand positions based on the chord markings ontop of the bass score (like C7, Dm9, etc.)
F.) Don't get bored!!! Thats what happened to me. I got bored and went back to just playing normally and I stopped reading music.
G.) Adding onto "D", pick up a piano book and play the line in the bass clef to get you started. They are all fairly simple rythms, notes, and chord progressions.
H.) Good luck getting into the school!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.