I want to know who YOU think is the best bassist in the world, dead or alive. For me it is John Entwhistle, recently deceased bass player for The Who. But you might think otherwise....................
I don't know whats his name, Cream's bassist was cool.
Fender Highway1 USA Stratocaster
Fender FM65R 65w amplifier
Ibanez Tubescreamer 9 Overdrive pedal
His name is Jack Bruce, and he is amazing, but for best bassist I'd have to say Geddy Lee of Rush.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Quote by Croat
I don't know whats his name, Cream's bassist was cool.

Jack Bruce.

I'll have to say Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, or Chris Squire.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
There is exactly the same thread a bit further down the page FFS!!!!!!!!!! Just read it and you will see peoples answers there
I agree with you about John Entwhistle, what a legend... but i think my favourite would be Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam), he's completely underated and has some pretty interesting and tricky techniques going for if you listen carefully.
someone should really make a sticky... and what is it with people thinking Flea's the best bassist ever?:S I can name many more better bassists:

Jack Bruce, Steve Digorio (sp?), John Myung, Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, Larry Graham (SOOUL TRAIN!!!), Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, Michael Todd, Robert Trujillo, Cliff Burton, John Entwhistle, Roscoe Beck, Les Claypool, Gary Willis, Doug Wimbish, Me, John Moyer from Disturbed (he isn't just a metal bassist, y'know), Roland Guerin, Jean Baudin, and many others
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Me,

I caught that one.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
someone should really make a sticky... and what is it with people thinking Flea's the best bassist ever?:S I can name many more better bassists:

Jack Bruce, Steve Digorio (sp?), John Myung, Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, Larry Graham (SOOUL TRAIN!!!), Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, Michael Todd, Robert Trujillo, Cliff Burton, John Entwhistle, Roscoe Beck, Les Claypool, Gary Willis, Doug Wimbish, Me, John Moyer from Disturbed (he isn't just a metal bassist, y'know), Roland Guerin, Jean Baudin, and many others

techinically proficiant doesn't necessarily make a great bassist.
look at tim commerford from rage/audioslave.
we dont see him do any widdling, yet his low end, power and tone is awesome making him standout.
who are you to wave your finger......
don't forget about SHAVO from SOAD
Jesus had long hair, and he was all like For those about to rock, I salute you.

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

Member # 24 of Metallica Mensa

President of the Daron Malakian is God Club
pm me to join
Quote by fleabass
techinically proficiant doesn't necessarily make a great bassist.
look at tim commerford from rage/audioslave.
we dont see him do any widdling, yet his low end, power and tone is awesome making him standout.

I honestly did forget Tiimy C in that list. He rules. As does the bassist from soundgarden
The best bassist to ever grace the earth was John Francis Pastorius III other wise known as Jaco Pastorius...but i would say Geddy Lee is a close second
Why do you people say that the flea is the best, all you definetly haven't seen Les Claypool play
LES CLAYPOOL IS THE BEST
I really love Claypool and Squire on their style. When I first heard Squire play it really changed my perspective on bass playing. I don't think even many jazz players in 1970 had such a distinct sound. Not the best, technically, but he is my personal favorite. McCartney has his occasional moments, like, I'll never forget this one time I listened to the bass of Helter Skelter. The sound is unforgetable.

But there's not really much question if we're talking about who's the "best" in our opinion, not just our favorite. It's a cliche but...Jaco. He was unreal. Hey, it's better than saying Flea. I think people overrate him a little too much. Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke are amazing. I also love Mingus and his music. James Jamerson ring a bell, anyone? Tony Levin is ****ing amazing too.
Quote by BaSsReBeL171
I now believe you are truly the smartest man alive!!! You're a pimp!

I used him alright
The Founder & Fearless Frog of the Primus Sucks Club. PM me to join.
Member of the Mitch Hedberg Pwns club
Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org
1, overdone thread search before you post. Closed

Sorry to keep it so simple, but... seriously the post is further down on the page and the same thing is happening there, no?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!