is there such things as a celtic style scale,
or is it just a feel that players give to a song

eg, dire straits - local hero

i would really like to make songs in this style and i was just wondering
Mixolydian is often used for folk stuff...

Other than that, it's mostly the phrasing that makes it sound like folk.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Mixolydian is often used for folk stuff...

Other than that, it's mostly the phrasing that makes it sound like folk.

Agreed. If you want to play in that style, try listening to more Celtic type music. I don't know if they can be considered Celtic, but a group called the Chieftans plays a lot of traditional Irish folk stuff, and they might be worth looking into.
All the "Celtic" music I've heard (and I put this in quotes because I don't think we can truely know how the music truely was back then without it being altered somehow) is usually very modal. From what celtic music I have it seems to be based a lot on pentatonics if in a major key and seeming a lot of harmonic minor and melodic minor for minor keys. This could very well be the fault of whatever some arranger decided to put on a couple CD's that I happened to obtain, however.

Quote by psychodelia
Agreed. If you want to play in that style, try listening to more Celtic type music. I don't know if they can be considered Celtic, but a group called the Chieftans plays a lot of traditional Irish folk stuff, and they might be worth looking into.

When you're talking about folk/celtic music, you can't forget Fairport Convention!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.