Does it actually matter what order you put your pedals and why?
sometimes
when i use my distortion and wah together, the wah has to go first, otherwise it filters the distortion effect, and returns to the natural sound my guitar is giving off
Yes it does matter. You get different sounds depending what you put in front of what (the main place where this is visibible is placing something before or after the distortion).
Though there are no rules, you can do whatever you want, you won't break anything. Experiment.

The only thing thats done almost always is that modulation effects (delay, chorus, phasers, flangers) are after the distortion (in the FX loop of an amp). With delay and reverb being last. Sometimes I see some people put phasers and flangers in front of the amp though.
it makes a difference overall, for example putting a volume pedal in front of an overdrive would control the ammount of distortion whereas putting a volume pedal after the overdrive would control the ammount of volume. You can experiment with pedals and get the order you want.

Line 6 Pod XT encourages people to experiment with pedal order for example.
yeah it does quite a lot. if i had the time id explain but, i dont.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Sometimes you should look at your effects layout as one effect being put on top of another for example if you only had a wah and a distortion pedal you'd want to put the distortion pedal in front of the wah otherwise the distortion would be added on top of the wah sound thus sounding rather crappy. On songs like "Welcome to the jungle" the delay is put in front of the distortion to give it that "diluted" sound. Generally though with things like Flanger, Phasers etc it doesn't really matter what order you put them in. Also with effects loops alot of people prefer to keep wahs directly into the input instead of putting them in the effects loop because it doesn't alter the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
for clarity when i say "in front of" i mean

AMP:====>WAH===>DISTORTION===>GUITAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
There was a great article in Guitar Edge (the premier issue) about pedals and what order they should go in and why. It's the only reason I bought the issue (well, that and a tab of Cold Shot).

In general

Guitar
preamp
envelope filter
octaver
pitch shifter
compressor
distorsion
wah
chorus/flanger/phaser/trem etc
delay
eq
noise gate
volume
reverb
amp
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
There was a great article in Guitar Edge (the premier issue) about pedals and what order they should go in and why. It's the only reason I bought the issue (well, that and a tab of Cold Shot).

In general

Guitar
preamp
envelope filter
octaver
pitch shifter
compressor
distorsion
wah
chorus/flanger/phaser/trem etc
delay
eq
noise gate
volume
reverb
amp

that's so different from how I do it...
The theory is that you would have gain pedals go before ambient pedals like delay. Delay would affect the distorted tone, but not the other way around. Pitch altering effects work best at the start where the signal is most pure. EQ could be placed anywhere, you just have to decide how the frequencies you want to alter will be affected by the pedals on either side.

Even with all this in mind you can put pedals in any order, some of the classic tones are much different that the suggested setup.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.