Can anybody enlighten me on this? His guitar tone is just heavenly. Especially on WDYTIW, Good Love is on the Way, and Wail 'Till Tomorrow.
"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
- John Lennon
The pickups were meant to be played for funk though;......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Okay John Mayer has a pretty big guitar collection and he uses different guitars all the time. He has a Monterey Pop Strat, SRV strat, Cream ES, and his own strat and the list goes on. As far as amps, Ive seen him use a marshall half-stack, my guess being a JCM but I dont know about Marshall. He also uses Fender amps a lot, Ive seen Bassman and Twin Reverbs.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Two Rock Amps
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
He uses 2 two-rock amps and a fender vibroverb played at the same time. Hes got tons of strats, and he sometimes uses very lightly wound pickups. I got all this info from an interview from guitar player mag.

EDIT: I think he also uses a vintage tubescreamer and a kealey katana preamp,
Last edited by -jeff- at Jul 6, 2006,
I've heard he used Dumbles live sometimes.

On a side note, why are his pickups scooped with less midrange? I always thought that blues was about the midrange. His sound is still pretty good though...
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by IrishBlues
Okay John Mayer has a pretty big guitar collection and he uses different guitars all the time. He has a Monterey Pop Strat, SRV strat, Cream ES, and his own strat and the list goes on. As far as amps, Ive seen him use a marshall half-stack, my guess being a JCM but I dont know about Marshall. He also uses Fender amps a lot, Ive seen Bassman and Twin Reverbs.

I would think its a vintage plexi or a reissue.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
the only reason i could think that he would have a scooped mid-range pick-up is cause he has a very SRV-like tone, and you get SRV tone by using tubescreamers or a similar pedal (he used a Sparkle Drive for a long time). Because tubescreamers boost the mids alot, he might have gotten the picksup wound with less mids to equal out the boost that he's getting from the tubescreamers.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6