Hey, Ive only been dropping by here every now and again but its come to my attention pretty rapidly that when somebody asks a question a load of people who do not understand the question or what they are talking about try answering.
this is leading people to utter confusion and when the real answer is found they have trouble grasping it because some fool told them different.
Please do us all a favour and only answer when you understand the question!!!
Thanks
I second this. If you don't know for sure if you anwser is 100% correct then included that in your post. Saying something like "I'm not totally sure though, I am totally sure, this might be the problem but it could also be something else, etc...." can be very helpfull for the topicstarter.
i'm not totally sure, but this is just general etiquette and it varies from person to person. trust me, i'm 100% right.
=deportivo=

"so this guy woke up with 6 different girls on 6 days of the week?"
"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
"...and on the seventh day he rested"
This is why we have the 'who to listen to list.'

Look, I'm not a big fan of misinformation, and I don't like it when people get something wrong. But by trying to explain it, and then being told they're wrong, that's how they learn also. Besides, if you want your questions answered, then they'll mostly be answered by people who aren't 100% sure, but are usually pretty accurate.

I can count on one hand the number of people in this forum that should be 100% sure of anything they post.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
If they're not sure if the information is correct, they can refer to the 'who to listen to list' to double check the answer is from someone who knows what they're talking about - either way, - I assume most people will double-check the information they get here on other websites and search engines, to be sure and incase they missed something.
^ yeah but that list is not updated.. spaivxx and gpb0216 arent on it, and they are serious dudes...
Well, yeah but if you want to change your pickups, Seymour Duncan's aren't the way to go. . .

OH, sorry, i misread the post
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Applehead
^ yeah but that list is not updated.. spaivxx and gpb0216 arent on it, and they are serious dudes...

Seconded, even though I had that hardest time understanding him when he was teaching me about the whole Circle of 5ths. But that's cuz my brain is weird hah.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Welcome to the world of open forums where the same questions are asked a
million times and the same wrong answers are given 1000 x a million times.
There's no stopping it.

Now, if someone could answer my question: How can I learn to shred? I really
want to be able to play faster. Or, maybe I don't really have a good shred guitar?
Getting a half-assed answer is still better than none of the "experts" giving you a straight answer at all. If someone isn't exactly sure, but at least want to be somewhat of a help, what's wrong with letting them try to answer? Chances are they have a better idea of the subject than the threadstarter will.
My only advice would be if you aren't sure of an answer you're posting, try to double-check it somewhere before posting. I usually have an idea of an answer I'm posting, but if I'm not sure I almost always check a theory book at my house, or if I absolutely must I look online. It takes a couple of minutes and it can also usually help you give a more concise answer if you aren't sure how to explain.
Quote by psychodelia
My only advice would be if you aren't sure of an answer you're posting, try to double-check it somewhere before posting. I usually have an idea of an answer I'm posting, but if I'm not sure I almost always check a theory book at my house, or if I absolutely must I look online. It takes a couple of minutes and it can also usually help you give a more concise answer if you aren't sure how to explain.

True, true. I've had times where I've said something so unbelievably stupid and wrong, whereas taking 20 seconds to Google it and check the answer first would've saved me an unnecessary amount of merciless flaming.
But still, any form of an answer is better than nothing at all, even if the person answering isn't 100% sure of themself.
Quote by tweeres04
Why can't we just say we're not 100% sure? That's what I do.

I know what you mean; if I could, I'd make "Not 100% Sure" my freaking username!
This really bothers me too. I think no answer is much better than blatantly wrong info.

If I asked a question, I'd rather get no replies than 10 replies that are all wrong. What help is that to me? It's just confusing. And when most new guitarist read something here, they just assume it's correct. So they start telling people the same thing. It's an endless cycle of misinformation.

Or just as bad, people who post vague 3 or 4 word responses like "just keep practicing", "lean modes", "listen to Pantera" just because they like to participate or up their post count.

There are a handful of very helpful people here who give thought out responses and are actually willing to spend 10 or 15 minutes typing up a reply, but way more people who want to spend 5 seconds typing something that is either blatantly wrong or that doesn't add any worth to the thread.

I like this forum because it has a lot more activity than the others that I visit, but if you were to sort out the useful information from the useless, there wouldn't be much more info on this forum than the other sites.

Of course this is arbitrary, because nothing will change. Just learn to question everything you read here. I honestly feel about 20% of the information in these forms is truely valid. And that's great --- it's helped me improve a lot. It just makes it hard to find that info.
ignorance isn't the only thing that spams these threads, it's also people's needs to be arrogant pricks to someone who may have mistyped a question...if you look at most of the threads here on UG, you will see that many of them are people flaming, or jumping on the bandwagon created by the first inconsiderate moron who waltzed into the forum to make fun of someone...one look at their profile will probably tell you all you need to know about whether or not they can be trusted with what they say; most of the spammers spend 95% of their time in the pit and barely (if ever) contribute to the forums...members with referrals are also a good indicator of reliable information
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
It's really much better to get no information than wrong information.

Personally, I like UG for the entertainment value. But, in terms of getting any
really valuable advice or learning anything new, it is for the most part pretty
worthless.

My observation is that the vast majority are 15 year olds with maybe around
a year of experience at best on the guitar. The types of questions and the
answers reflect that for the most part. Many are pretty much set on the idea
that if they just learn enough tabs they will magically be able to play well given
enough time on the guitar. So to a large extent good advice isn't getting taken
anyway because good advice generally involves some work, thinking and
patience. They'd rather take the advice they want to hear because it sounds like
the easy road to mastery. Oh well, sooner or later they'll find out.

If I really feel like someone genuinely wants to learn something, I would steer
them to other places where I know the info will be much higher quality.
this is a discussion forum--you're hear to discuss things, not consult a panel of experts (and it sure as hell isn't a panel of experts). if you want an absolute answer, use google or wikipedia, or get a freaking music theory book, geez.
Quote by Dan Steinman
(and it sure as hell isn't a panel of experts
We are offended!

Anyway, the other forums are for discussion much more so than MT. There's no discussing what the scale degrees of the melodic minor are-they're always the same. Most of the stuff in MT is fact, not opinion.
Well gee, as fun as this is...

TAKE IT TO THE 'WHO TO LISTEN TO' THREAD!

**CLOSED**
Looking for my India/Django.