Page 1 of 4
ok so here is what i am thinknig a 24 string bass tuned to
C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab with the strings in harmonic pairs, a 36 fret neck through bass that is chambered, has pasive electronics. the only problem is i dont have anywheres nere that much wood, nor do i know how to getahold of a bridge for it, and i can make a pickup through i would rather not as i know i couldn't find bobins big enough, or a large enough magnet, let alone anything else, i plan to make it nateral finnish if i can. basicly the biggest deciding factor if this gets built or not is money, so lol any donations will be accepted lol

edit: this is a world record attempt
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Last edited by t heff at Jul 6, 2006,
use rails for the bridge, you can buy them seperately

btw, this is going to be VERY expensive.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Crazy idea. This should be awsome. But remember, if it turns out good, no matter how much you spend, it will be worth something. Theres never been anything like this so people would probably spend a lot of money for this.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Crazy idea. This should be awsome. But remember, if it turns out good, no matter how much you spend, it will be worth something. Theres never been anything like this so people would probably spend a lot of money for this.

you'd be wrong. theres been every combination of bass stringing type made pretty much

Quote by metaldud536

would it even be playable? the neck would way to wide... i mean a twelve string makes sense but double the size of that neck... it would be impossible for people to play (unless they have ginourmous hands)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
the expensive part will be the forklift to hold it.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by latinosuperstud
would it even be playable? the neck would way to wide... i mean a twelve string makes sense but double the size of that neck... it would be impossible for people to play (unless they have ginourmous hands)

paired strings

&&

theres loads of >12 basses, theyre mostly used to tap.

Quote by metaldud536

just an idea: get the 2 bridges for a 12 string bass, stick them on right next to each other...or something like that

edit: now that i think of it...that's a horrible idea
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Toolbass is right. Just how heavy will the damn thing be?
Idk, I think 24 strings is just about 18 strings too many. It gets kinda pointless to where you'd pretty much be playing a guitar and bass in the same instrument. but if you can get it to work, mad props to you.

how are you gonna lay the strings out. 6 wide, 6 stacked on top of each other, or 36 wide? cuz at 36 wide, ur playin a damn harp.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by LetTheBassPlay

how are you gonna lay the strings out. 6 wide, 6 stacked on top of each other, or 36 wide? cuz at 36 wide, ur playin a damn harp.

where's 36 from? He said 36 frets. I suppose the good thing about this is you could do kickass solos on it!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
did i misread the bit where he said

24 string bass tuned to
C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab with the strings in harmonic pairs

or am i the only person that read it right? you're all throwing out this 'zomgzrowingpaddleforanecklawlz' stuff.

Quote by metaldud536

Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Jul 6, 2006,
dude i just had an idea... you should make it an upright acoustic electric bass(hollow body helps with the weight) and you dont have to to be a weight lifter to play it (since you would be standing up)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by IndieMetalhead
did i misread the bit where he said

Quote by t heff
ok so here is what i am thinknig a 24 string bass tuned to
C#, F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab with the strings in harmonic pairs

or am i the only person that read it right?

nope it is 24 string man!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
that'd be a bitch to tune...

or to replace the strings
I know- 6 bass strings are about £20! X that by 4 and that's £80 for one set of strings! Hope your not planning on gigging this thing!
EH

i think itd be a kick ass build. the only thing i can see costing alot is pups and hardware. youd need alot of wood but i wouldnt think that would be all that expensive. but i see everyone talking about how heavy it would be and how okward the neck would look, but f*ck the body imagine how HUGE the headstock will have to be.

but anyway dude, i say do it. i think it would be pretty bad ass. i dont know how to give you any help as i dont play bass but i think it would be cool to watch a build like that
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by sashki
Some ideas:

More?

This project is going to be very interesting...Good luck
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Tos save weight, just make a really small body like a stienberger or summit like that.

Speaking of which, it'd be cool if you got a 24 string stienberger style bridge, with the tuners on it then had it headless, would get rid of any neck dive problems.

Quote by pinkhaze29
Sounds cool but wouldnt strings be expensive??

we already talked about this, 80 quid a set!
EH

i thought that was the idea he has, except 12 paired not 4 trippled

Quote by metaldud536

In any case, it would need a LOT of hardware. I estimate it would require about 8 truss rods, a neck joint that could survive a sumo wrestler jumping onto it, and a pickup as wide as the sumo wrestler himself. You'd have to wind it yourself, too.
Quote by sashki
In any case, it would need a LOT of hardware. I estimate it would require about 8 truss rods, a neck joint that could survive a sumo wrestler jumping onto it, and a pickup as wide as the sumo wrestler himself. You'd have to wind it yourself, too.

its a through neck

Quote by metaldud536

he wouldn't need to wind it himself. He could get like 2 6 string rail p/u's and arrange them like a p-bass p/u.
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
where's 36 from? He said 36 frets. I suppose the good thing about this is you could do kickass solos on it!

Oh sh*t, I read it wrong, my bad. I just woke up, so i'm still not thinking, and mistook the 24 strings for the 36 frets.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
I wish i could get up at 6 in the evening!
EH

hes probably in a different time zone dumbass ^
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

i was gonna make like a quarter of it hollow, and i am still not shure which scale to make it, i have plenty of inspiration, but thank you, i haven't bult anything in a while so i might make it fretless to, and if it weighs less then 20lbs then its kool, i'll just have a big ass strap thats all, and i do not intend on only taping like most 12 stringers do, i intend on playing chords, melodys, solos, everything, at the 36 fret i think it is gonna be like 9 inches wide?? maybe idk , but i have a huge reach with my hands. i know i am gonna need help on getting a nut made, and i would defently need neck and bridge measurements to help with the build, and any donated wood or parts would help lol

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
I doubt you'll be playing this thing fingerstyle then.
EH

make the neck first... and i dont know i think it might be lighter if you make the wings of the body into a v shape...good luck with the headstock and nut though
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by eddiehimself
I doubt you'll be playing this thing fingerstyle then.

o thats what you think, even if it cant be done i will find a way

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
nice man!

After seeing this thread, I might build a bass with a ridiculously huge no. of strings someday.
EH

eddie i want u to know because of what you just said i am naming the bass "mindless tool"

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Wow i'm flattered (am i supposed to be?) I suppose there will be a lot of space to write that on the headstock with all those tuners.

that is a really cool name tho.

Quote by t heff
i am still not shure which scale to make it

It'd be cool if you did that fanned fret thing and made the scale from 35" to 28 1/4" or summt like that.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 6, 2006,
Page 1 of 4