Lately I've been practicing some scales on the higher frets (around fret 8 or so), and my left hand feels really contorted and cramped playing that high up. Especially when playing the low-E string, I feel like my wrist is completely bent forward, and very strained.

I'm holding the guitar in the regular position (body of guitar resting on right leg) and I'm keeping my left elbow hanging straight down.

Should I be changing my arm position at all when playing on the higher frets, or is it just a matter of getting used to it? Should I pull my left elbow farther back so that I don't have to curl my left wrist as much to fret the strings?
try different guitar angles. Instead of having it parallel to the ground, try tilting the guitar up so that its at an angle of 20 to 30 degrees from the ground. That should help you a bit more, and then pulling your elbow should make it a bit more comfortable also.

You dont need to be all crazy about regular position, its all about comfort. My bass teacher, when he sits down to play, sits the bass on his left leg, body inbetween his legs, and the bass at an angle of like 70 degrees, and he's still fast as hell. so find your comfort zone and go with it.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
do what letthebassplay's teacher does, put the guitar on your left leg instead, and angle the neck of the guitar toward the ceiling. this is a more natural position IMO, and is more like how you'll play standing up. it will also make accessing the highger frets easier without twisting your arm or wrist
Yep, try different angles. Try to find one where it seems more "natural". You have to test out different things like the angle of your picking hand, fretting hand, and what leg your rest your guitar on, etc..

-KR
Cool, thanks for the tips. I did try tipping the guitar neck up a bit for the higher frets, and it did feel more comfortable. So should I be finding one angle that feels comfortable for playing anywhere on the entire neck, or do most people tend to tilt the neck up/down depending on where on the neck they're playing?

Also, I've tried playing in the classical style (guitar on left leg, tilted up), and while it did feel more comfortable for my left hand, it also felt more awkward.
Try resting it on your left leg too. I've heard that helps a lot for building finger strength because your hand is in a more natural position on the neck. Perhaps it will make it more comfortable on the higher frets too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by globetro
Cool, thanks for the tips. I did try tipping the guitar neck up a bit for the higher frets, and it did feel more comfortable. So should I be finding one angle that feels comfortable for playing anywhere on the entire neck, or do most people tend to tilt the neck up/down depending on where on the neck they're playing?

Also, I've tried playing in the classical style (guitar on left leg, tilted up), and while it did feel more comfortable for my left hand, it also felt more awkward.

I tend to change tilt, but whatever works

-KR