Alright, here's the deal I'm about to start another custom guitar for myself, cilents seem to have died out for a while. I'm doing some crazy wiring and I have 5 of my pickups figured out already. Ghost-tech Piezo, Dimarzio: D Sonic, Virtual PAF Pro Neck, Virtual Vintage 2.2 and a Virtual T Neck.
My big question is that I'm looking for the ultimate blues pickup, must be a 4 conductor and a humbucker. For the blues I play a lot of BB King, SRV, Clapton, Robert Johnson, Howl'n Wolf, Matt Murphy, that kind of stuff. So I'm looking for a humbucker with an overwound strat north and a mid boosted south and comes together sounding like a '57 classic. WOW, that is a tall order. If anyone has any ideas they would be helpful. Also my price range is about $150 and down. Thanks.
Quote by ttk2skates
I'm doing some crazy wiring and I have 5 of my pickups figured out already. Ghost-tech Piezo, Dimarzio: D Sonic, Virtual PAF Pro Neck, Virtual Vintage 2.2 and a Virtual T Neck.

Wait, so you're putting 6 pups in one guitar?
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
they have p-90's that are humbucker sized. I think that they're Gibson P-60's or something
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Tedrick - Yep, 3 humbuckers, 2 modded single coils and a piezo in my bridge saddles, all on a 25 1/2in scale.

The only problem with p-90's is I lose my wiring variablity and humbucker P-90's although close, don't sound like true p-90's
ONe company for perfect Blues pick-ups,,,,,, Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots........heres a link http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/PICKUPS-C28.aspx. A little higher than your price range but well worth it, get the Van Zandts if you dont want to spend that much, their like Lindy's but on a budget.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Last edited by The Master Plan at Jul 6, 2006,
Wow, 6 pickups.

Isn't that a bit much?

Hell, I always find the best blues tone in one pickup - the neck.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Lindy Fralins and Rio Grande's are great if you got the money.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I can't seem to remember the name of a US pickup winder that could do something like that for you. It has something to do with a Wolf, but I'm not sure if it's grey wolf or something like that. I would try Googling for Wolf Pickups. I'll do the same.

EDIT: http://www.sdpickups.com/links.shtml

It was the link I was talking about above (I think?), but has nothing to do with Wolfs. Hah. Here's the Wolf one...
www.wolfetone.com

http://www.highorderpickups.com/
Maybe the one I was talking about?
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 6, 2006,
Quote by ttk2skates
Tedrick - Yep, 3 humbuckers, 2 modded single coils and a piezo in my bridge saddles, all on a 25 1/2in scale.

The only problem with p-90's is I lose my wiring variablity and humbucker P-90's although close, don't sound like true p-90's

Sweet, I was thining about puting 5 in my old guitar

what are the benefits of it? More sound capabilities?

EDIT: Also how are you going to wire it?
Quote by spazzymagee417
Last edited by Tedrick at Jul 6, 2006,
I amounts to...

a neck pickup, a bridge pickup, a piezo, and three middle pickups.

Call me crazy...

But wouldn't that need a pretty long body?

The Master Plan - I'm checking out Lindy pickups right now, nice find.

SuperAnalytical - I've got all three of those in my custom folder, I'm a little iffy about them, just because the humbuckers seem to be a little more clean and less bluesy. And I'd rather build my own then use highorder, something just doesn't make me want to order from them, Idk why.

Tedrick - Benifits are more variety, I'm wiring a blend to the piezo, a 5 way rotary to each humbucker and an on/on/on between the each single coil and the neck and bridge humbuckers. The downfalls of this are that you lose tonewood with the universal rout and you risk more outside electrical interferance. You could always pot them all, but then you lose a little of the tonewood coloring and some (not much, but still some) sustain.

StaggHound - Nope, normally 25.5" scale, I just have to trim the wire supports and replace them on the two single coils.
But still, in order to fit 5 pickups, without them being in such close proximity as to affect oneanother, wouldn't you need a longer than standard body?

Quote by ttk2skates
SuperAnalytical - I've got all three of those in my custom folder, I'm a little iffy about them, just because the humbuckers seem to be a little more clean and less bluesy. And I'd rather build my own then use highorder, something just doesn't make me want to order from them, Idk why.

Haha. That's alright. Maybe you could fuse 2 singles together on the same wiring? You're requirements are indeed a large task to fill for a normal pickup.

Is that what you're relatively going for pickup wise? Goes SHHHS knob behind bridge is for the Piezo, black selector between one of 5 pickups, 2 whites are for combos, mini toggles are taps for the buckers. Knob on horn is for the neck single, all knobs are push push or push pull for tone/volume controls. Toggle with main cluster of knobs is for Killswitch for all pickups besides the Piezo.

Can't you tell I'm bored?
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 7, 2006,
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Haha. That's alright. Maybe you could fuse 2 singles together on the same wiring? You're requirements are indeed a large task to fill for a normal pickup.

Is that what you're relatively going for pickup wise? Goes SHHHS knob behind bridge is for the Piezo, black selector between one of 5 pickups, 2 whites are for combos, mini toggles are taps for the buckers. Knob on horn is for the neck single, all knobs are push push or push pull for tone/volume controls. Toggle with main cluster of knobs is for Killswitch for all pickups besides the Piezo.

Can't you tell I'm bored?

I WANT THAT GUITAR!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
So... any progress? I really wanna know how this turns out
Quote by spazzymagee417