Hey, I've just finished my GCSE's and my parents have promised me a new amp and pedal. I already have a fairly good but old carlsbro scorpion L and a very sh!tty 10w laney amp, I also have a Boss DS-1 pedal and an old zoom multi-effects pedal thing which is cool for wah and an effect called ''Van Halen'' but other than that not very good. So ... I finally set my heart on the new zoom g2 pedal mainly because it has delay on it and some cool distorted effects and also the Marshall MG15MSII Microstack, however, when I did decide on this on a previous thread the responses were no less than ones of utter disgust; I am a bedroom guitarist - I DO NOT GIG AND PLAY ONLY FOR MY BENEFIT - I play Metal and Rock stuff, mainly Muse and some Metallica and have not been playing for very long (around 6 months). The big question here is WHY SHOULD I SPEND A MORE MONEY THAN I CAN ON A TUBE AMP WHEN TO ME THIS AMP SOUNDS COOL?
You can get a better amp for the price of a micro stack. I recommend the Vox AD30VT. Its around 240 usd and the thing sounds great. It can get you the tones you want easily.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
you should'nt, buy what u want not what other people tell you you should want, if u like the amp then buy it, it's as simple as that!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
the truth is, its more of a gimmick than an amp. Having owned an mg50dfx, i can give a pretty honest opinion on them. the distortion is poor, and the cleans leave much to be desired. If your looking for a bedroom practise amp for metal, try something like a Roland cube 60, rather than taking the 'cool looking' option.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
You can get better amps, but if you like it so much, get it, don't let people put you off it, if you like it that's all that matters.

However, if you're just wanting it because it's a "Marshall half stack!!!", think again.
And, generally valve amps sound a lot better, and a lot of people prefer them to solid states.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah the roland cubes are nice...(notice how Guitar Center uses them for the pedal racks)

cuz there not that loud yet sound good..and there pretty cheap too
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Triggerishappy
WHY SHOULD I SPEND A MORE MONEY THAN I CAN ON A TUBE AMP WHEN TO ME THIS AMP SOUNDS COOL?

The thing is that right now you like the sound of the amp. When you get it home and use it for a while, you will eventually grow to dislike it. At first it may sound great to you but you will regret it.
Quote by Triggerishappy
WHY SHOULD I SPEND A MORE MONEY THAN I CAN ON A TUBE AMP WHEN TO ME THIS AMP SOUNDS COOL?

Go to a guitar shop, and plug into any tube amp, and you will imedielty notice how bad solid state tone is compared to tube. I. I used to think that solid states had decent tone and wondered why people were bitching on them all the time here, until i tried a fender pro juinor and later reissue bassman( organsmic), and i realized what i was missing out on. I just wish i had the money to buy a tube .
Yeah dude...i have that at the shop...and everyone with any sense of tone laugh when they play it. The "cabs" feel like theyre made of cardboard and the "speakers" sound like theyre made of toilet paper. The distortion isnt as heavy as youll probably want later on...even with the Contour rolled all the way over. The truth is that this paticular MG is more of a novelty then an amp.

And besides...they cost WAY too much for what they are. Id get a Cube or a Vox.
If you play Muse, you'll want an amp with better distortion and effects. The marshall has neither of those. I really recommend a Roland Cube, I've actually tried one and liked it a lot. If you want an opinion of someone who owns it, PM Glen_Hansard. He'll tell you about how good it is and stuff.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ or me? lol cuz i play it for like an hour a day when i have nothing to do...

gah..i love my job.

but seriously. Its an awesome amp..even at high levels.

PLUS it has automatic noise reduction so...NO SS HISS!!!
Bossman123 seems to have the idea, i kinda like it so suerly i should go for it, its really hard coz u keep tellin me how crappy it is and i keep lookin back at a pic of it and goin back to my local guitar shop and tryin it out and i think it sounds fine im just worried that when i get it home its not gonna sound the same, has anyone been in a simiar position as me tell me about it and what u did....
wow, it sounds like you like it a lot so I think you should just go buy it.
If I bought that microstack MG I would gut the chassis and build a home-made tube amp, about 15 watts
I reckon the best options are the vox ad30, a roland cube of some sort or a small tube amp, such as an epiphone valve junior or an ibanez valbee. I've had the misfortune of using an mg, and after a short period of time was driven to despair. It is awful!!

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

it doesnt matter, just buy it if u want.

if u want to discount what was said, then do it. *shrug
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You say that you go to the guitar store and sit down there and play it and like it. What else have you played while you were there?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I have a cube. for metal its perfect. The distortion is AMAZING and can also be 'hair raising'. The cleans are too clean to be true. really its a great amp. My friend has a Marshall MG50DFX and when i put my cube next to that **** box, lets just say my friend was ashamed of his'AMAZING NEW MARSHALL'. My dist on full made it sound like he was playing clean and my cleans sounded crystal while his sounded muffled.
BELEIVE ME GET THE CUBE!!!!!!
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
if your a bedroom guitarist get a cube. Those stacks are small as crap to they dont even look that cool to me. You may think the marshall sounds good but go play a cube then tell me that again. but if you've compared the two and think the marshall sounds better then get it
To EDaws not much really, its a bit embarrising going in there and sealing urself in this sound proof room, i dont know why but it just is when i tried out teh amp i had 2 egt my brotehr 2 play some stuff cozi wouldnt i guess im just shy lol! And also to Gutch220 i REALLY like that idea, but how mcuh would it cost and how hard is it 2 do coz im gonna get pretty bored over the summer and sumthinlike that would b awesome...
Quote by Triggerishappy
Hey, I've just finished my GCSE's and my parents have promised me a new amp and pedal. I already have a fairly good but old carlsbro scorpion L and a very sh!tty 10w laney amp, I also have a Boss DS-1 pedal and an old zoom multi-effects pedal thing which is cool for wah and an effect called ''Van Halen'' but other than that not very good. So ... I finally set my heart on the new zoom g2 pedal mainly because it has delay on it and some cool distorted effects and also the Marshall MG15MSII Microstack, however, when I did decide on this on a previous thread the responses were no less than ones of utter disgust; I am a bedroom guitarist - I DO NOT GIG AND PLAY ONLY FOR MY BENEFIT - I play Metal and Rock stuff, mainly Muse and some Metallica and have not been playing for very long (around 6 months). The big question here is WHY SHOULD I SPEND A MORE MONEY THAN I CAN ON A TUBE AMP WHEN TO ME THIS AMP SOUNDS COOL?

you should get the mg microstack, i mean, zakk wylde even says that "The MG sounds totally slamming, and the overdrive is CRUSHING"

bahahha, seriously do not get an mg.
^ yea, I think I'm going to buy the Marshall MG30 tomorrow at that center for guitars. I've never played one before but I've heard mostly good things. I will change the stock tubes first thing though. Hopefully it will be great.
Quote by Gutch220
^ yea, I think I'm going to buy the Marshall MG30 tomorrow at that center for guitars. I've never played one before but I've heard mostly good things. I will change the stock tubes first thing though. Hopefully it will be great.

i love you

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Jul 7, 2006,
Quote by Gutch220

i heard the stock tubes were ok
it sounds better with a new speaker if its a combo
otherwise the head sounds good with a crate cab!!
I hear Marshall Mgs sound good if you change out the amp for a Marshall JCM800 Full Stack.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Does anyone know where i could egt the amp ripped apart and fitted with tube stuff in England coz it sounds cool and the only reason I like the amp is coz it looks awesome + i like the controls on marshalls they r reli easy to use so the sound .. you know.. probs is ****, im not sure but gutting sounds cool
if you plan on gutting it, you might as well buy a tube combo. it will prob work out much cheaper
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
well when you go to check out the amps or whatever have a little bit of a look at some marshall valvestates...theyre not too badly priced and put out pretty well.....although you'll probably want to buy another distortion pedal because the distortion on the valvestates is pretty weak......still its something too look at.....

ohh yeah, as far as i can tell compared to most amps the mg's arent too bad, the prices are a bit high when you could buy the same kind of thing with a different brand on it for cheaper but they still dont have anything thats really wrong about them....people just like to find the one thing marshalls screwed up a little bit on and keep bringing it up.... makes us feel better about not being able to afford a vintage full stack....
Guitarist for Adelaide Post Hardcore band Emerald City EmeraldCityAU

Playing a Fender Blacktop Tele through an Orange Dual Terror and 2x12.
^ok and u own what? MGs break all the time.

they have fan issues, tone issues, they buzz, my mg lasted two days. we get threads ALL THE TIME with issues.
if u want to get one then fine, but dont make stuff up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
GB&C is Guitar Building and Customising
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much