Are Phyrian Dominant scales considered to have a major or minor tonality? It sounds really dissonant, yet it has a major 3rd...
I don't think its major because it has that b7 in there...so dominant tonality (it is in the name )?
Quote by seljer
I don't think its major because it has that b7 in there...so dominant tonality (it is in the name )?

Mixolydian has a clear major tonality.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^right. the b7 has nothing to do with whether a scale is major or minor. the 3rd is where it's at... since phrygian domnant has a major third, it is major. It is dissonant in some spots because it also has a b7... 3->b7 = tritone = dissonant. Your ears are right, but your brain deceives you.
Looking for my India/Django.
Right...

If you were to make the b7 a natural 7, what would you call it? Harmonic phygrian dominant?
If there is no longer a b7 but now a major 7, it is not a "dominant" mode. We'd have...

1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 7

I don't recognize that right off as having a name. It might be something close to harmonic minor... google it.
Looking for my India/Django.
1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 7

Is the neopolitan scale.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Question:
Phrygian will be your third mode in a major key and your fifth mode in a minor key.
My guitar teacher refers quite often to it as phrygian dominant, yet I've never been explained WHY it's called phrygian dominant and not just phrygian like aeolian will be called A (or whatever note it happens to begin on in the key) aeolian.

Is it because in a minor key the fifth chord becomes major instead of minor, resulting harmonic minor? Is it connected to that somehow? Any help would definitely be appreciated.
Phrygian dominant is the 5th mode of the harmonic minor scale.
~Long live the 6-string~
Phrygian and Phrygian Dominant are two different, but close, scales.

Phrygian is the third mode of the major scale.
Phrygian Dominant is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
The Phrygian dominant is a by product of the Harmonic minor. The reason it is called "Phrygian Dominant" is because it is a Phrygian scale which has been altered in such a way as to produce a Dominant 7th chord from it's root. This was done to give the minor key a V7 chord. The two scales (Harmonic Minor, Phrygian dominant) are intertwined, as a poster above said, Phrygian Dominant is the 5th "mode" of the Harmonic Minor.

The Phrygian dominant, functionally speaking, is more akin to the mixolydian scale than any other.