How does the Ibanez ZR tremolo system compare to the Edge PRO bridge on the higher, Prestige RG guitars?? The ZR can stay in tune even if a string breaks (which is a BIG plus point, while playing live shows), and its supposed to have a Ball Bearing pivot point, which means less resistance...
On the other hand, I believe the Edge Pro has a wider range of bending, both up and downwards, and is just a better system in all...
which is the better of the two? I'm going to be buying an RG with the Edge Pro soon, and I want to know if i should change my decision..
Last edited by burnout_one at Jul 6, 2006,
Are you lazy? Because one needs considerably more work than the other system.
Do you play live?
Moo.
Do you like steaks?
I like em a bit raw.
I've tried both trems and the ZR just felt better in terms of a whammy. Smooth, no resistance and slick. The Edge Pro is truer to the conventional Floyd Rose design though, I can't see any disadvantages for the ZR. I think the Edge Pro is easier to string as you don't need to cut the ball-ends off the strings.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
The ZR can't hold tune after a string breaks... they say it holds good enough to finish the song before replacing the string, but it can barely even do that. Other than that it kicks complete ass. It stays in tune during double stops and bending one sting to the same note as the other. It is really smooth and not as flimsly as other trems. Easy to maintain and has all those convient fetures. I only think the low bending range is because they are found in the S series which are super thin guitars that need a shallow cavity. I wouldn't spend so much money on replacing the edge pro. I have never tried the edge but it is said to be really good trem.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Well the ZR should hold tune if you don't touch it after you break a string, as in, don't move the guitar, no shaking etc.

If you play it gently and palm mute very lightly, if might last, that is, you stand still, play really stingily.
^ I have one, trust me, it doesn't. All the strings go at least a half step sharp.

My Build IT'S DONE!
can you really thrash a ZR? like divebomb and go crazy on it, just wondering about that because of what somebody said about you not being able to pull up as far or something.

i was also wondering how good they are because herman li uses S series guitars but has an original floyd rose on them so is that a preference thing or are OFR still the way to go?
Watch Herman Li's guitar tricks and listen to Through the Fire and Flames, you will see what you can do with a ZR

They are dragonforce btw.
I actually got the chance to try an S540 or whatever the highest end S series is and an RG1570 side by side yesterday, and the Egde-Pro blew the ZR away. I think it's just because the ZR is on the S series though. It had barely any pull up range, and much less divebomb range.
well i think its a fact of whether you like huge divebombs and up-pull or smaller divebombs and up-pull and easier to maintain
Its got enough divebomb range, enough for the E and G strings to stick to the pickups.

My Build IT'S DONE!
ZR is a fantastic trem, after breaking the strings in and fine tuning its held tune through some serious punishment (I often hit harmonics and pull the bar as far up as it will go without snapping the string, similar with divebombs - straight to the body).

Really smooth action aswell.
Quote by Invictious
Watch Herman Li's guitar tricks and listen to Through the Fire and Flames, you will see what you can do with a ZR

They are dragonforce btw.

Except Herman Li's guitar doesn't have a ZR. (I'm pretty sure)
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust