I'm new to this and just bought a guitar tuner. How do I use it to get my guitar in tune? Thanks
well the strings should be the following notes, starting with the 6th string (the thickest): E A D G B E.

most electronic tuners have one of two things... either a needle that swings back and forth to tell you which way to adjust the tuning peg or three lights. if it has a needle... you want to tighten the tuning peg if the needle is to the left of center and loosen the peg if it is to the right of center. when the needle is in the center, you're string is in tune. if the tuner has three lights... when the light on the left is lit up or blinking, you want to tighten the tuning peg. when the light on the right is lit up or blinking, you want to loosen the tuning peg. if the light in the middle is the only one lit... you're string is in tune. that help at all? it's kind of a hard thing to explain with words... especially not knowing what tuner you are using.
^-- alrighty then, your tuner has both the needle and the three lights that i was talking about. i'm going to assume that you are capable of turning it on yourself. before you start you always want to make sure that the display reads "GUITAR" in the upper right hand corner instead of "BASS." once you have the tuner turned on and set to GUITAR, you're ready to go. just set the tuner on your leg in front of your guitar and pluck the 6th string (the thickest string). now look at what the tuner says in the upper left hand corner. hopefully it will say 6E. if it doesn't you need to first tune the string to something close to E. if the tuner says 2B in the upper left hand corner, you need to tighten the string quite a bit. keep turning the tuning knob tighter until the display reads 6E in the corner. if the display reads 3G, 4D, or 5A you also need to tighten the peg... more for 3G, a little less for 4D, and even less for 5A. once you get the display to read 6E is when you start doing what i described in my first post. if the needle is to the left of center and the left red light is lit up or blinking, tighten the peg. if the needle is to the right of center and the right red light is lit up or blinking, loosen the peg. keep tinkering with it until the needle points straight up and the green light in the middle stays lit. then move down to the 5th string, the A string and repeat. the 5th string (second thickest string) should register as 5A in the upper left corner. the 4th string will be 4D, the 3rd string will be 3G, the second string will be 2B, and the 1st string (the thinnest string) will be 1E.
^-- well that tuner isn't a true chromatic tuner, so you can't really tune to anything that has any notes other than E, A, D, G, and B. for instance, you could tune to drop D... but not open C.

if i were you... i'd return that tuner and ask for a chromatic tuner. the people in the store will know what you're talking about. you can usually get a chromatic tuner for either the same price or for like 5 dollars extra. imo, a chromatic tuner is a really useful tool for a beginner guitarist.