Ive been playing for about two years and im entirely self taught. So when i first started playing i held the pick with both my index and middle fingers with my thumb. That was how i got used to playing but now ive been watching other guitarists and most hold the pick with just their pointer and thumb. I tried it a little and i found i could tremolo pick somewhat faster but i didn't have as much accuracy hitting strings and i couldn't strum as hard as my original way. I also found that i can hold the pick with just my middle finger and my thumb and it is the same as when i put two fingers on it.

My question is should you only hold the pick with one finger or does it not matter?
I don't think it matters. Since everyone holds theirs differently, some use their thumb, index, and ring fingers, and the ways that you mentioned (I use both of them).
So I'm guessing it's personal perference.
last.fm | Rush Hour | Dead Format
Quote by HxC73107
pray for plagues or off the heezay by bring me the horizon both great songs specially when ur at a pit at trhe reall show
Hold it with one finger...i held with 2 fingers in the start and like you i saw others using only 1 finger...so i tried it for a while and i improved my picking greatly in short time...its so much easier with 1 finger once youre used to it.
It really doesn't matter too much, as long as you stay consistent. I think some ways are better for certain styles (i.e. most shredders hold it with index and thumb) but at the same time James Hetfield, one of the best rhythm guitars ever, he picks the same way you did, and Van Halen picks with his middle finger and thumb. So as you can see there is a variance, but I think as long as you stay consistent, that way will build up strength and then you can do whatever the hell you want.

Live life stronger than death.
Zakk Wylde

True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing.
Socrates

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
Pick how you want to pick...Like you, James Hetfield uses his middle finger aswell as his index and thumb
Eddie Van Halen, As far as I know, uses just his middle finger and thumb so his index is free for tapping
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
sorry, I had that posted before i saw your post man, anyway...
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

yea i did notice one time when i was watching eddie van halen play eruption live that he held his pic the exact same way that i do when he was tapping so yeah i guess my way should work
There's no rules dude
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby