hey all, i have a Peavey 6505 212 combo, and am pretty happy with it. however with it being an all tube amp, it needs to be cranked to get full tone from it. the problem is that i live in a house, and love being able to hear people talking to me, therefore i don't want to become deaf by cranking it. so i have devised 2 solutions,

1. buy a THD hotplate to attenuate the power and crank the volume (the problem with this is it is 489 dollars at the only music store that sells them)

2. buy a top-of-the-line Overdrive pedal to artificially crank the amp.

so with these two solutions in mind i ask of you to answer me these questions 2 (i wish i had 3) how does the sound of each stack up. which gives a better sound.

suggest some really good OD pedals and please give an approximate price.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Last edited by g-cash14 at Jul 6, 2006,
Get an overdrive pedal with a level control. That way, you can push the tubes whils staying under the master volume. My friend does that with his jcm 800. You can then add overdrive to taste. Good luck

Jimbob78

P.s. Look at boss pedals. They're pretty decent and will probably run you under $100
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
Get an overdrive pedal with a level control. That way, you can push the tubes whils staying under the master volume. My friend does that with his jcm 800. You can then add overdrive to taste. Good luck

Jimbob78

P.s. Look at boss pedals. They're pretty decent and will probably run you under $100

i would get something a lil more transparent like a BD-2 or a TS-9. if you go getting a MT-2, your tone is going to be shiza
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Or get something like a Micro Amp, run it cranked in front of the amp to hit the power tubes with a big signal (but still somewhat clean signal, as opposed to a dirtied up one from a normal OD pedal) and break them up.
I have a 5150 half stack and live in an apartment. I use a keeley modded OD9 and get great tones with very little volume. Though nothing beats when I do take the amp somewhere were I can wear plugs and crank it.....pure heaven.
so any suggestions on really good OD pedals?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Around this board people say that Peavys gain is mostly in the pre-amp, so you can get a cranked tone at a low volume with a low master volume
the maxon od808(something like that) is supposed to be really great. Or you could go BOSS and get a bd-2 or a sd-1 or a tubescreamer
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by Cmogi10
the best option is cranked tube amp with an OD pushing it a little harder

yes uhhh... thank you?

clearly i know that the best option is to crank the tube amp, but i can't do that in my situation. so im asking which would be more useful to me, an overdrive pedal or a THD hotplate.

EDIT: BTW i forgot to mention that i play alot of metal, BLS, COB, pantera, slayer, Nevermore, that kind of stuff. i'm a total metalhead.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Last edited by g-cash14 at Jul 10, 2006,
Well, remember to look at prices online for the Hot Plate. It is definitely cheaper at musiciansfriend.com and will have free shipping since it's $100+. I'm don't know any particulars about your amp, but you may be able to cut the max power of the amp by removing some of the power tubes (youd have to look online to see if this can be done with your amp).
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
I heard from people that Hot Plates suck tone, but I don't know
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
bah. 5150's gain and most tone is in the pre-amp. only turn the power amp up enough to get some life. cranking it wont make that much of a difference.

cranking/od's are better for lower gain amps or ones that the tone is more based in teh poweramp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^Exactly Just crank the Pre Gain volumeto your desire then turn up the post volume a little bit and you will be fine
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
didn't ibanezszforlife (or whatever his name his) have a hotplate for sale? hit him up with a PM and see if he's still got and the Ohms match up, otherwise do some shopping around for a hotplate, but in the mean time, dime the pre-amp gain and take the volume to the level you desire and you should be fine as most of the 5150s gain is from the preamp.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Cranked volume+ excellent overdrive pedal= TONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
are you actually in a position to crank the amp? cos you could just get attenuating earplugs if all you're worried about is deafness (about £10)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's the difference:

Cranked volume = pushing the power tubes
Overdrive pedal = pushing the preamp tubes

With an overdrive pedal you'll probably get more in your face distortion, but by cranking the volume you're going to get that sweet tube saturation. So it's up to you.
no im not able to crank the amp and as i mentioned before i don't have the money to get both the hotplate and an OD pedal so it's either one or the other. (the Schecter C1 hellraiser is very expensive) so if most of the distortion comes from a the premp in the case of the 5150 then an OD pedal is more what i would want?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

imo you dont really need either. cranking the power amp in the peavey wont do much for the tone. it'll stay about the same, might get a little brighter, as the most of the amps tone is based in the pre amp. so neither one will make a very noticeable difference.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ok then maybe a tube change might do me well? i was thinking JJ tubes but i live in Canada so it would be a pain to order them in from Oregon (I think that's where they are) then have to pay shipping, tax, and duty fees. but all they sell at the music store near me is electro-harmonix which is what the 5150 has in the pre-amp (the power amp has ruby tubes) and groove tubes which are ****ty. any suggestions on getting the best tone that i can?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

how much will the JJ's cost you? really in the U.S. there just above the average tubes that other companies put out, but sell for a lot less. i put a high gain set of JJ's in my XXX and it cost me $111 with shipping to south texas. so i don't think it'll be much more for canada? theres that free trade thing right?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ok just got an e-mail from them and it says A full retube with a matched pair of JJ 6L6GC's, five JJ ECC83S preamp tubes with one balanced for the phase inverter would run 71.50 and they can ship them for 11.00 by Global Priority mail with a 7 - 12 day delivery to Canada. sounds good and if i want high-gain tubes it's only 2.00 more per tube. is that worth it?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

You could always go for a cheaper attenuator such as this .
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
yeah its worth it for the high gain set.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

what about sticking a volume or eq pedal in the fx loop, then cranking the master? nothing?
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by g-cash14
no im not able to crank the amp and as i mentioned before i don't have the money to get both the hotplate and an OD pedal so it's either one or the other. (the Schecter C1 hellraiser is very expensive) so if most of the distortion comes from a the premp in the case of the 5150 then an OD pedal is more what i would want?

ah, ok, fair enough.

Best bet is to see if you can get to try a 5150 with a hotplate (or equivalent) and then with an overdrive pedal, if possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'll miss out the fun of overdriving the power tubes if you use a pedal, but it can get a good sound too ofcourse.