I have an Epiphone SG Goth Special and as you probably know the strap button is on the back of the neck. I just recently noticed when i was playing my friend's Les Paul that i was more comfortable playing his than mine. I figured out that it was because the strap got in the way of where my my hand would go when i got up to about the 15th or 16th fret. I was just wondering if that happened to other SG players or if it was just the kind of strap i have (which is just a basic one I don't really know how to describe it)
Yes that happens... but youll learn to play around it, i did really quickly, however my hand is rather large so stopping my hand at the strap button, my fingers still reach past all the frets..

Good luck wth your sg, i love mine!!
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
well my strap usually stays out of the way ... and dont forget for the lower fretsyou shouldnt put your thumb on the fret board or it hinders your ability to play
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
yeah, you'll learn to play round it eventually. i don't notice anymore, but if it bothers you that much, have the strap button moved to the top horn.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
yes you have to adapt to it a bit, I'm adapting to it too atm
I also find that you have to move the body a bit to the right to have better playability.
But the upper fret access isn't really a problem for me, I play round it or just stop my hand there and let my finger do the work...
Quote by AndyPandy
yeah, you'll learn to play round it eventually. i don't notice anymore, but if it bothers you that much, have the strap button moved to the top horn.

or get an ESP Viper as thats where the strap button is located
or hes laready got a guitar so why watse money on new one just so the strap buttin is in a different place, that like....buying a new bike you really like, but then buying the off brand one because its handle bars are wider...no sense in you...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by SGKIDD
or hes laready got a guitar so why watse money on new one just so the strap buttin is in a different place, that like....buying a new bike you really like, but then buying the off brand one because its handle bars are wider...no sense in you...

errrr it was just a suggestion not really meant to be taken seriously.
A lot of SG players have the strap button moved, Tony Iommi for example. It's never bothered me though.
it has for me though. since i usually lie on my back with my guitar resting on my body the buttom kills
Quote by azn_guitarist25
it has for me though. since i usually lie on my back with my guitar resting on my body the buttom kills

Are you disabled? Otherwise, stand up and play guitar, dammit!
dude i do ****ing stand up as well just its not very wise since my room is pretty packed and small so i lie sometimes or sit (most of the time)
go outside and play?? or if you have a room in the house, say....kitchen, bathroom with a tiled floor, or walls, play there.... you be amazed how annoyed youll make your family... its fun...
Mail Goes here.

nope, i play in my room cos its actually pretty sound tight so i can crank up **** without annoying the rest.
lol im just saying, its fun to use a "live room" like a tiled or concrete room cus' the sound resonates so well, and its mad loud through the whole house..

And its a good way to see if your guitar has good tone off the neck, play unplugged in a bathroom ... Robert cray and Eric johnson both say they take their new guitars to a live room to test tonal abilitites..
Mail Goes here.

Last edited by SGKIDD at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by SGKIDD
lol im just saying, its fun to use a "live roome" like a tled or concrete room cus the sound resonates sooo well, and its mad lud through the whole house

You know what would be cool? If you could fucking spell.
It could be the kind of strap you play with. A friend of mine hated it so much, that he switched to an acoustic strap, and wound it once around the strap button before he put it on the headstock.
i know.... i cant spell anyway plus i have keyboard issues.... i try..really i do but sometimes i get hyped up and lose track of my fingers.... yeah i apologise...
Mail Goes here.

The only SG I've ever seen that didn't have the button on the back was the Tony Iommi one. My Les Paul has the button on the side and my archtop has it on the back and I've always hated that. Unfortunatly damn near every archtop and SG have the button on the back. Moving the button would be easy enough, but filling the hole on the back would be a pain in the ass.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."