Can someone recommend some good strings that give a clean tone (not that 'klonky' tone that some strings give) and have a resonible price?
Join my quest for a cheap, quiet, high gain, tube amp!

Or just PM me with suggestions.
not too much of a reasonable price...but...elixir coated strings are amazingly smooth physically and when it comes to sound n stuff...like $50...coated with anti deteriorating stuff so they last like 9 months
FUCK
Dean Markley Blue Steels. Very heavy, very focused sound. Great for metal. Trebly at first, but smooths out and gets heavy and growly really soon.

Another great one is DR Hi-Beams. AMAZING string. Starts out trebly as well, but smooths out without losing highs. It just gains a low end and mid emphasis.
haha
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings (45 65 85 105)

I find them perfect for every style to be honest...
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
anything the guys above me recommended...

Elixirs are my personal favorites, just because I sweat a lot and Elixirs last long, but other strings were nice as well (elixirs go for $60 in Canada...)

Elixirs have a high sound and high price, so if that's not your thing (and if you don't sweat as much as me) then I recommend DR Black Beauty, D'addarios, Ernie Balls, Rotosound66, and many other brands ($30 canadian)...
Also, don't decide that you don't like the string after your first use and then throw it out, cause strings take time to set in and sound like they should...

and get heavy gauge (unless you solo a lot) cause they give the fattest tone which will be good for metal

Remember, It's your playing that matters the most, not the gear or the strings jkjk
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Another great one is DR Hi-Beams. AMAZING string. Starts out trebly as well, but smooths out without losing highs. It just gains a low end and mid emphasis.

+1 on that. I love mine still. They sound better than anything else de-tuned as well.

Don't be turned away by the pricetag. They will last and last and never lose tone.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
i thought EB Hybrids sounded good, but then my teacher accidently hit them will trying to show me something and said the following: "AHHHH!! TWANGY!!!" So, i dont know if they're the best for metal.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

+1 on that. I love mine still. They sound better than anything else de-tuned as well.

Don't be turned away by the pricetag. They will last and last and never lose tone.

My Hi-Beams cost 24 dollars.

Only 4 bucks mroe than Rotosounds and Slinkys, and mcuh better tone. And mine sound great DADG, definately.
haha
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

If you like those, try the Black Beauties, they look good and the tone lasts damn near forever.
Quote by MastaBassist10
If you like those, try the Black Beauties, they look good and the tone lasts damn near forever.

Except they cost $50 a set... and to Metal... i got Roundcore Hi-Beams, and I got them at a privately owned store, where they probably cost more... I would have ordered them online if I wasn't in such a rush to get them.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Ya know, its really not the strings that give you a metally tone, its more effects and technique.

But if its necessary, DR's are probably your best bet.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by MastaBassist10

Agreed.

Though im using damned Super Slinkies right now which i hate.
What's wrong with the Slinkies (and you;re better off with Hybrids, I think)?
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
^Just because they're cheap doesn't mean they suck. I get my six string sets for about $12.

Curt Mangan strings are great for metal. There's a link in my sig.
^ Ummm... Heavy?

Going to bigger strings usually invovlves nut work though.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
o...ok...well than...wat would sound heavier than custom gauge roundwound earnie ball...

i have that on my 4....but i want something with a thicker and heavier sound for my 5
If somebody already said it I apologize, but I have yet to see them-

GHS M3045F Flea Signature Bass Boomers Medium

Best metal strings hands down, stay in tune from despite tons of pounding, last forever, sound great for metal, especially if you use pick (like me).
I kinda like Rotosound swing 66 for metal, the brightness seems to appeal to me. But truthfully it's all about trying out as many different brands as you can and seeing what you find best!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Wow, mega necropost.

Although I'll ask a question of my own-

Has anyone used the new Rotosound Nexus strings? I'm planning on getting a set.
get some ken smith light gauges. the exact number slips my mind at the moment.. i have some on one of my basses.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by ele1122
Wow, mega necropost.

Although I'll ask a question of my own-

Has anyone used the new Rotosound Nexus strings? I'm planning on getting a set.

I'll let this necropost slide, because I too am interested in the Nexus strings. I saw an advert while browsing through Bass Player today and I'm intrigued.
Quote by Felkara
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings (45 65 85 105)

I find them perfect for every style to be honest...

agreed i use them on mines and i can jam to anything with them and they are pretty well priced and good quality :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Elixers are good...little pricey but last a long ass time.

i use DR's...theyre AMAZING
Equipment:

ESP F104 Bass
Spector Legend 5 Classic Bass
ESP B206SM Bass
Axl Mayhem Fireaxe Guitar
Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Combo Bass Amp
Gallien-Krueger 115SBX Bass Cabinet
+1 to DR Strings

They give a nice piano sound to basses.. they are amazing. great tone that lasts forever.

perfect metal strings.

I've tried Dean Markley Blue Steel, GHS Boomers, and D'Addarios (which all suck). DR beats them all by a long shot to me.

I'm curious about the RotoSound 66s and Ernie Ball's Power Skinkies though
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1