Hello from Germany!!
My teacher told me to play guitar just with fingers, so that i dont have to use a plectrum....but i cant really believe that its possible to play fast just with fingers!!!
So do you think it is possible, to play as fast as batio or malmsteen just with fingers?

If you know a person that can play so fast just with fingers pls tel me the name!

thanks
till
Well... I supposed if you could get really good at it and use all 5 fingers, anything is possible. It's better to be good at both though.
Quote by grimreaper65
Har har har. Go stuff your panties with toads and then masturbate.

Ahh, I love the Pit.

Quote by SilentDeftone
I don't need to report you, I can just ban you instead.

-SD

Owned!
der wixer
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
der wixer lol!!

i know flamenco stuff, but do you think this is possible with a e-guitar?

thanks for your replies
yeah flamenco guitarists are crazy fast with their fingers, Yngwie also has done some classical stuff thats really fast
billy sheehan, John Myung, and I can play pretty fast in fingerstyle, but I can't count 16th notes well.
I would try to perfect both, they both diffrent adantages but as far as shredding goes i would stick with picking.
paco de lucia
My Gear
Dean Dime CFH
Fender Metal Head/ MH412 Cab
ESP-F250
Fender standard strat (chopper in bridge/hotrails in neck.)
Epi Les Paul
Epi Wildkat
1986 yamaha (looks a lot like a RG)
Bc Rich Beast platinum pro (custom flame)
Bad Horsie wah
Quote by Bryan52803
I don't think that's finger-picking...

Bry

no one plays flamenco with a pick......
What is it a rule? Listen to it, it sounds like it's being picked, and I didn't think Yngwie does alot of finger picking, but I could be wrong I don't know alot about him.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
There happens to be a difference in technique between finger picking (e.g Mark Knopfler) and the classical/flamenco playing style (e.g Kazuhito Yamashita, Pavel Steidl, Remi Boucher, Paco de Lucia). The latter happen to play more challenging peices than any other guitarist that uses a plectrum (except maybe a few jazz guitarists like John McLaughlin). BikeRacer69 hit the nail on the head, flamenco is never played with a pick.
Last edited by Wild_Jary at Jul 7, 2006,
i was wondering how fast you could go without a pick because i never used one until now. for the past week or so ive been trying to use it so i can play faster. i dont want to shred or anything, just like srv fast. i used to use my thumb for strumming and solos. i learned to upstroke with my thumb to go faster but it wasnt as clean as with a pick. but after seeing the paco de lucia video, i see that i just need to use the rest of my hand.

would this style be alright for a blues/rock type guitarist? should i just continue with the pick? id rather not but im getting the hang of it.
Quote by metal_man12

I was going to post this when I saw the thread, good call :cheers

Quote by BikeRacer69
no one plays flamenco with a pick......

I have to agree with Bry on this one, I'm pretty sure it's played with a pick. Regardless of the normal "rules" listen to the sound from his guitar. To be honest, it even sounds like an acoustic-electric instead of a classical to be, but I don't know acoustic guitars that well and I could be wrong. (if somebody could clarify that for me, it'd be appreciated).
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i was wondering how fast you could go without a pick because i never used one until now. for the past week or so ive been trying to use it so i can play faster. i dont want to shred or anything, just like srv fast. i used to use my thumb for strumming and solos. i learned to upstroke with my thumb to go faster but it wasnt as clean as with a pick. but after seeing the paco de lucia video, i see that i just need to use the rest of my hand.

would this style be alright for a blues/rock type guitarist? should i just continue with the pick? id rather not but im getting the hang of it.

As I stated before, theres never any "rules," play how you like. Take John Frusciante for example. Though he normally plays with a pick, Funky Monks (on BSSM) he played without a pick the whole song, including the solo. Give it a listen. There's tons of possibilities, it's all about the sound you want. It's just difficult to play some songs without it, especially if you're going for a real percussive sound with notes and muting if that makes sense. But like I said, do what you want, as long as you play it well.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat