I was playing my Peavey JSX yesterday at band practice and all of a sudden no volume. I was like, "wtf man". I changed guitars cables and cabs and the problem seems to be in my head. It's like 1/4 as loud as it should be. Did I blow a fuse, power tube, or preamp tube? I just bought the amp though. I'm not sure what happened. It also seems to have less bottom and and sounds different than before.. I'm new with tube amps and I just want to get it fixed. How can I tell if the tubes aren't working? They all seem to still glow orange in color. Thanks in advance for your help.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
my friend is having the same problems with his new peavey preamp, also tube. he asked outr local guityar tech and he stated "yeah, tube amps take some time to warm up. probly 10 minutes or so..." that damn thing doesnt seem to work right after an hour or so, but a couple weeks ago it seemed fine. we have yet to replace the tubes.
yea, the tubes would be the first thing I would check, try changing the order f the pre-amp tubes and see what that does. See if you can isolate a single tube.
well before I played I let it warm up for 45 minutes or so. Maybe it got too hot and overheated? It still doesn't work right. I've had it for a few months and it's never done this. Ok, I'll change the order or the preamp tubes and see what that does. .. Also do you guys think 6L6's sound better than EL34s? because if I end up changing them I want to have them sound better obviously. What about the fuse? Would the amp still work with a blown fuse? I mean it still works but the volume is hell of low.

first talk to green box the guys a tube amp genious, second your amp problbly didnt overheat from you leaving it on standby for 45min,third el34s made in europe sound better but they are the same tube under a different name and fourth, have you ever not let it warm up on standby for at least 5 min before playing it?
Quote by think11270
well before I played I let it warm up for 45 minutes or so. Maybe it got too hot and overheated? It still doesn't work right. I've had it for a few months and it's never done this. Ok, I'll change the order or the preamp tubes and see what that does. .. Also do you guys think 6L6's sound better than EL34s? because if I end up changing them I want to have them sound better obviously. What about the fuse? Would the amp still work with a blown fuse? I mean it still works but the volume is hell of low.

nah, 45 minutes wouldn't do that. If the tubes are stock, you will want to get new ones. 6L6's and EL34's sound different, neither is really better than the other. It depends on what kind of music you play and what tone you like. Your amp won't work if the fuse is blown. Your fuse blows when something is wrong with your amp, its there as a safety measure so you amp doesn't do further damage by continuing to run.
Quote by Gutch220
nah, 45 minutes wouldn't do that. If the tubes are stock, you will want to get new ones. 6L6's and EL34's sound different, neither is really better than the other. It depends on what kind of music you play and what tone you like. Your amp won't work if the fuse is blown. Your fuse blows when something is wrong with your amp, its there as a safety measure so you amp doesn't do further damage by continuing to run.

their gain stages look identical theres no way they sound different the only difference might be is in quality
I didn't notice a big difference when I changed them in mine. The biggest thing would probably big the clean channel, it's more robust with more low end and less "middy". The only things on the drive channels was I noticed as well more low end, and it wasn't as sterile when the mids were scooped.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^^so EL34's and 6L6's sound exactly the same? wow, i never knew that and there are multiple gain stages in one tube? jeez I'm dumb.
Lol, the preamp contains the gain stages, no EL34s in the preamp are there...

/hi5 gutch and his supreme noob swatting lol
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
el84s and 6l6s do sound different. el84s will give a more high midrangey sound, they're mostly associated w/ marshalls and british sounding amps. 6l6s are more 'american' sounding and have more pronounced highs and lows, these are what come stock in mesa recto's and other amps of the like, these are mostly associated with the high gain 'chugga chugga' or fenderish type cleans.
Don't you mean EL34s? EL84s = small combos IE Classic and vintage/boutiques, I haven't seen too many 100 watt metal monster EL84 heads lol 30
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
I think I'm just going to swap out all the tubes to 6L6's then. I'm in a metalcore type band and that might make it sound a bit better. My other guitarist just bought a mesa recently and I was comparing the JSX to the mesa. I can get almost the same sounds out of my little peavey and I payed like 1000$ less for the stack. I'm quite thrilled actually.. What are good brands of tubes? I would assume that the ones that come stock aren't the greatest in quality? And about preamp tubes, is there anything a bit more gainy than the 12ax7? I noticed that JimiMan1535 uses a ECC83S? Isn't that the same thing as the 12ax7 or am I wrong? And Yeah I've played it without letting it warm up for at least 5 minutes. I'm sorry :-\

Last edited by think11270 at Jul 7, 2006,
Both my amps warm up within 2 minutes, that's about standard warm up time for most tube heaters.

And a blown fuse cuts off all the AC, so everything would have gone dead, power light and all.
Bad tubes would do it for sure. That's the first thing to try, just go buy one new power tube and one new preamp tube and switch the positions and see if it works when the new tube is in a certain position.

If tubes don't fix it, a tech is your best bet. But if you're poor(like me) this link will help:
http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/lowpower.htm

And with the 6L6 vs EL34 deal, it would require a pretty serious rebiasing, but yeah, you can swap them.

And btw, an EL84 puts out around 8 watts each, you do the math to figure out how many tubes you would need for a 100 watt amp.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^ wouldn't you need to buy a matched set of power tubes?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do I still have to get my amp biased if theres a bias switch?

My amp has a setting where you can switch it from EL34 to 6L6. Do I still need to get it biased?

^ is it a mesa? EDIT: ok, disregard that.

I have no idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can anyone recommend me a good brand of 6l6's? I'm buying in the dark here.

Should you replace preamp and power tubes at the same time?

EDIT: I was looking at some Svetlana tubes and there are 3 options: Hard/Blue, Medium/Green, and Soft/Yellow. What does that indicate? What is the difference?

Last edited by think11270 at Jul 7, 2006,
^ you don't need to necessarily switch pre- and power-amp tubes at the same time. I have no idea about the rest though...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by think11270
Can anyone recommend me a good brand of 6l6's? I'm buying in the dark here.

Should you replace preamp and power tubes at the same time?

EDIT: I was looking at some Svetlana tubes and there are 3 options: Hard/Blue, Medium/Green, and Soft/Yellow. What does that indicate? What is the difference?

you were looking on MusiciansFriend weren't you? yea, don't buy tubes from them check out www.tubestore.com or www.eurotubes.com , Svetlana, JJ, and pretty much the rest of the tubes on those sites are good, I personally use JJ tubes, they are IMO one of the better production tubes out now. As for hard, soft , and medium, that just refers to the headroom of the tubes. If you like you cleans, and want them at louder volumes get the "hard" tube (its harder to break-up), soft is just the opposite. You will get you tubes to overdrive and distort at lower volumes, and medium is just in between those, I personally would just get mediums. But check out some JJ 6L6GC's from eurotubes, tell Bob what kind of amp you have. He has the best prices and service IMO.
On my brand new XXX, the amp will cut out every once in awhile and the work fine. its not losing power (the lamp stays on) but it just cuts up (the volume) sometimes.......im also new to tubes(and love them).Can this be fixed?
Holy God, all this tube sh!t sure looks pricey......... I guess I'll be stickin to my Cub 60 until I get my hands on a dumble !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
JJ 616's worked wonders for my JSX. Much better than the china tubes. I rebiased it when i changed the tubes in my combo. a set of JJ for a JSX is about 100. oh yea i go them from bob at eurotubes.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
You use a JSX for jazz, juarez ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
So If I put the 6L6's in my Peavey I have to get it rebiased? I can't just use the bias switch that it has on it? What do i do just take it to guitar center and be like "hey, bias this for me?" ehh. I read up on the JJ6l6's and they seem freaking sweet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on rack gear to buy?
Instead of dropping like 2 grand on an Ibanez Jem I think I'm just going to swap out the pickups in my Gibson SG and buy a rack EQ and reverb unit. What's good to have?

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ wouldn't you need to buy a matched set of power tubes?

Not for testing.

And the bias switch is for really major adjustments, it can't do the fine tuning that you need when you just change different tubes of the same type.

And JJ 6L6's, 6V6's, and EL84's are all t3h pwnage.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^ sure.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?