Ok this is a pretty dumb question i know, but i see the roman numerals like I, ii, III VIb3 stuff like that used all the time when talking about chord progressions, like for jazz or the twelve bar.

like this example stolen from the "typical jazz progression" thread.

"THE jazz progression was Imaj9, Vadd9, bVIImaj9, IV..."
and

"ii-V-I"

and if anyone could give me a quick explanaition as to what it means and how to read/ interpret it id be real appreciative.

Thanks
well the ii is a minor second. the V is the fifth and I is the root. so it all depends on what key you're playing in. hope that helps.
mm forever
Uppercase Roman numerals (V, II, I etc) represent a Major chord, where as lowercase Roman numberals represent a Minor chord (ii, vi, vii etc). Upper case numerals with an + indicate Augmented chords (III+ etc) and lower case numerals with a ° indicate diminished chords (ii°, vii° and so forth).

In C, the ii-V-I chord progression would be...

C(1 I) · D(2 ii) · E · F · G(5 V) · A · B

Dminor(ii) - Gmajor(V) - Cmajor(I).

Although, in jazz regular triad chords aren't used often, you'll find the diatonic 7th added - making it...

Dm7(ii) - G7(V) - Cmaj7(I).
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jul 6, 2006,
"THE jazz progression was Imaj9, Vadd9, bVIImaj9, IV..."
and

"ii-V-I"

Let's just say it's in the key of C. The roman numerals represent which note of the scale it's talking about. I=C II=D III=E IV=F V=G VI=A VII=B I=C

Imajadd9 would be Cmaj9

bVIImaj9 would be BbMaj9

IV would be F.

If the Roman numerals are lowercase (i, ii, iii, iv etc.) then they're minor.

ii is Dminor.

EDIT: LIsten to John, he's smarter that I am in Music Theory.