I've had a guitar for over a year now, but I just recently started to fall in love with it so I am begining to try and learn the ropes. I'm still in the process of learning the how to's and the tricks to guitaring, however as with everything else, practice makes perfect, so when I came across these boards and the 'riffs and recordings' section in particular, I thought to myself that there is no harm in giving it a try for practice and having all of you help me with your criticisms.

In the last couple of days I recorded two covers (with a house brand computer mic and Audacity) they aren't great, but I do feel myself improving as a guitar player already. Please leave feedback and tips on the site and/or in this thread, I'm looking to improve with every recording.

So with that said, here they are Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley and Time Of Your Life by Greenday.

http://essdee.dmusic.com

Go easy on me!
I only listened to Good Riddance (Time of Your Time). It was alright for a first try. You were missing notes and the strumming was way off. On top of that the vocals were pretty souless. It's alright though, it was only a first attempt.
ill only crit time of your life as i don't know the other song, so.
guitar was awful tbh (no offense)
i had the impression that you left out a note with the picking and the strummin was not really the way it's originally played.
Vocals were alright althoug you sang one octave deeper (makes it easer, but sound worse) than billie.

It happed that i came along that song today so i played it again.
I play the guitar since late '05 so if you want me to upload a recording, (i guess it could help you, as i'm pretty much on your level) let me know.
Quote by dEipHoBoS
ill only crit time of your life as i don't know the other song, so.
guitar was awful tbh (no offense)
i had the impression that you left out a note with the picking and the strummin was not really the way it's originally played.
Vocals were alright althoug you sang one octave deeper (makes it easer, but sound worse) than billie.

It happed that i came along that song today so i played it again.
I play the guitar since late '05 so if you want me to upload a recording, (i guess it could help you, as i'm pretty much on your level) let me know.

Thanks for the comments. I have a tough time analyzing strumming patterns in whatever song it may be, which makes it difficult to duplicate and the fact that I'm not good yet.

Sure upload your version. I'll have a listen.
for Time of Your Life the pattern is "^ ^ V V ^ V" (down-down-up-up-down-up) the whole way through I believe. I thought it sounded alright but, as others said, there is a note missing in the picking.

I'll listen to the Jeff Buckley one now, and I'll say now before I listen that it would be extremely hard to duplicate because that song is so filled with emotion.
For Hallelujah:

Your voice is quite nice, a lot better than mine, and seems to fit well with the song. I'd work maybe a bit on those higher notes to make sure you hit the right ones but all-in-all well done with the singing.

With the guitar I'd work on getting the chords to ring out cleanly, make sure you are not muting the strings with your fingers, especially the open strings and maybe incorporate a bit more liveliness into your strum pattern, I can't remember how the strum pattern in the actual song goes, but unless it is very obvious it doesn't really matter if you vary it, in this recording you seem to just use down strokes, it may be hard at first, but try to add a few upstrokes every now and then.

And last of all just try to get the timing right between guitaring and singing, they go a bit off sometimes.

All up quite nice work for a first try, keep at it.
Hey just a crit for the Hallelujah Jeff Buckley song, for me it was a bit too happy for what the song was about - thats just the feeling i get across from it. So yeah thats the only thing i could really pick up - i mean your guitar and vocals are a million times better than mine. Keep it up, sounding good
?To young to hold on and to old to just break free and run.?

Jeff Buckley