whats is the major differences in tone between say if i got a marshall jmp-1 rackmount preamp and a marshall rackmount power amount compared to a jmp2203 head. whats would the tone differnce be which is better?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
The thing with racks is that you can mix and match pre-amps and poweramps, unlike with heads. You can also control them via midi and not have to constantly go back to your amp and twist those annoying knobs.
an individual preamp or poweramp can usually cost as much as an entire head though
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Rack-Versatility
Head-Tonality.....................
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I've heard some rack users admit, that though their rack setups are much more versatile, they always get better tones out of a head setup.

Probably because big companies have done ALOT of research on which different pre-amps and power-amps work best with each other.
Yeah man, you gotta trust the brand you buy !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
ya i have noticed that that heads have better tone than racks but Racks are so appealing i mean what can beat 128 channels on a Triaxis.

MMMMMMMMMM Triaxis
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I heard that the Marshall JMP pre amp is very ss sounding. 2203's are amazing though.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
But Herman Li isn't digital sounding.......

Keep the faith, baby!!
thats a joke right??? if not, sig that. no offense Herman Li is the master.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
ok you're talking about preamps like the Triaxis and the JMP1 compared to a mesa amp and a marshall stack - now i think that the JMP1 is a lot of fun and sounds pretty good, but it doesn't compare to a 2203 or anything like that - the triaxis just sounds bad

try out a CAE 3+ or a 3+/SE preamp into a VHT poweramp and take a hear on that - and the e570 sounds just as good as the Engl SE (poweramp depending of course), it all depends what you're talking about

people say Racks for fun and flavor, Heads for tone - but it's all in subjection for different pieces of equipment - and I would like to have racks, some preamps and poweramps, but still heads for most of the part

it's all in the taste

and PS: the JMP doesn't sound digital all the time - they have plenty of nice tones, as heard in the songs of Sonata Arctica, Def Leperd, or Dragonforce

and PPS, you guys are pretty much all judging all as one...don't preach unless you've prayed
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Jul 7, 2006,
I prefer the ...................... a combo !!

Seriously, it's easier to transport, less space......... you can always mic it

Yes, I'm talkin bout the Dumble ODS !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
a lot of the time the biggest difference between a pro-quality rack set-up and a good amp is the price.

but yeah. Rack=versitality Head=tone

unless youve got unlimited cash and know what the hell youre doing.
Ok, thanks alot for the info, Now I know what im looking for... a head. Theres no way I would go with anything for any reason other than tone so... yeah
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
nice......

oh yeah, whats the point of putting a preamp into a head ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
^^a poweramp

....and this is SO dumb I cannot tell you - you're saying do I want a rack or a head............

............what equipment are we talking about? what tones? this is so stupidly broad just saying "okay i guess a head is better"....wtf? don't do that to yourself....you could save a lot of money with a rack setup, or get your perfect tone with the right head - or save a lot of money with a head - or get the right tone you want from a certain preamp with that particular poweramp

if you're REALLY serious about this, i'd head over to www.hugeracksinc.com - make an account, and ask around there - they atleast know what they're talking about unlike a little place called UG (not insulting any of the posts in this thread)
-Mike
I just want to chime in...

"Rack=Versitility & Head=Tone"

I'd hardly consider that a true comparison. Certainly a head can give great tones, and most certainly racks offer more versitility. But that does not mean a head is best or better at tone than a rack.

Racks can offer just as much or better tone than a head. Most of these opinions I've seen of racks having lesser tone than a head is because the individual was running a low-end rack, or a rack with a mixture of low-end gear, or they simply have no experience what-so-ever with a comparably decent rack. And it's true that sometimes a rack can be lacking in tone, but that's usually the result of low-end equipment, or too much equipment (running a dozen+ pieces of equipment is going to eventually make it sound processed, especially with crappy gear). You also have to realize a rack offers different tone. That Marshall JMP-1 isn't supposed to BE that head you noted... so obviously if you like the head's tone, you're not gonna like the JMP-1 tone as much.

I have no idea if that made sense, lol
^^nah it's good

i think a lot of it is that these people are just repeating what they hear, or have only played a JMP-1 or a Triaxis (and the JMP-1 can do a great job at some tones - great interface btw)
-Mike
So whats the best pre-amp out there, mr hope ??

Da best power amp ??

How much are Strategy 500s ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
why would you ask such a STUPID question? THEY ALL SOUND DIFFERENT

I would say one of the best pairs though would be a 3+ (not the SE) through a VHT KT88 poweramp...oh yeah, like a 2/50/2 style VHT - that's hot
-Mike
Ya i like the VHT Power amps very nice i prefer the ones with 6550s myself though. And its all preference really i like the Triaxis. Others dont.

Strategy 500s are no longer in production they have actually been out of production for about 15 years. You can find them on Ebay but they are really rare and unless your playing to massive stadiums noone needs 250 watts per channel
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
yeah really - 150 watts a side will do fine! and besides, no one uses 250 watts tube...if you're playing MSG, you DI or you Mic or something - i mean, Jimmy Page played MSG with a 50 watt half stack and you didn't see anyone complaining
-Mike
Thanks....

Keep the faith, baby!!