I'm looking for a good beginner harmony book and I really would like some suggestions so if you know of any good ones please mention them.
Like, a book on harmonizing? Because when you say a book on "harmony", it makes me think you want a Feng Shui book or something.
To be honest, I've never seen a book that focuses on harmonizing. I wouldn't even know where to start. But, in order to make this post at least somewhat helpful, here are 3 very helpful columns that may contain what you're looking for:
How About Harmonizing?
How About Harmonizing? Part 2
How About Harmonizing? Part 3

(yes, they were all written by me, but even if they weren't I would've posted them; I just didn't want it to look like I was advertising or something)
Quote by SethMegadefan
Like, a book on harmonizing? Because when you say a book on "harmony", it makes me think you want a Feng Shui book or something.
To be honest, I've never seen a book that focuses on harmonizing. I wouldn't even know where to start. But, in order to make this post at least somewhat helpful, here are 3 very helpful columns that may contain what you're looking for:
How About Harmonizing?
How About Harmonizing? Part 2
How About Harmonizing? Part 3

(yes, they were all written by me, but even if they weren't I would've posted them; I just didn't want it to look like I was advertising or something)

No I mean harmony in music, as in the vertical component of music. Melody is horizontal and harmony in vertical, you know what I'm saying, this isn't guitar oriented it is theory oriented.
Quote by TToe
No I mean harmony in music, as in the vertical component of music. Melody is horizontal and harmony in vertical, you know what I'm saying, this isn't guitar oriented it is theory oriented.

...? Isn't that still exactly what I'm thinking of, too? Harmony, as in placing a separate set of notes on top of a melody to create harmony? Because that's what harmonizing is. Are we thinking of two different things?
Quote by SethMegadefan
...? Isn't that still exactly what I'm thinking of, too? Harmony, as in placing a separate set of notes on top of a melody to create harmony? Because that's what harmonizing is. Are we thinking of two different things?

Harmony as in chord placement, voice leading, modulation, part writing, and the relationships between different chords in a piece. For example the relationship between the dominant(V) and tonic(I) in a major key.
Last edited by TToe at Jul 6, 2006,
Okay, I found some stuff from this site for ya:
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Chord Progressions
Writing Unusual and Original Chord Progressions
Also, I suppose if you really want to get knee-deep in theory, you can check out the wikipedia page on music theory here.
As far as a book goes, I haven't seen one, but I'm sure they exist. There's probably one of those Music Theory for Dummies books out there or something. Just check a local book store or guitar shop, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful stuff.
Sorry for the misunderstanding earlier.
Quote by TToe

Well, you mentioned chord placement and voice leading, so I figured chord progressions was the natural place to go.
I do see what you mean, though. I think.
Most of these books are from a classical, or common practice period approach so that may be what threw you off.

Edit: Chord Progressions have a part in the overall picture though.
Last edited by TToe at Jul 6, 2006,