okay i have 200-300 to work with. So what recording interface for a computer would you guys recommend? or if a mixer would be a better deal give me your input
you should focus on software...because you could always plug your instruments into the computer
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by Hpda5121
you should focus on software...because you could always plug your instruments into the computer

ohhhh how so?
MobilePre (150$)
Condensor Mic or SM57 (depends if it's acoustic or electric)- (100$)
Chords, stand, etc ($50)

Audacity (free)
Adobe Audition (Bittorrent)

Not that I reccommend stealing software or anything, it's an impossibly immoral thing to do....
Quote by pocket dude 411
ohhhh how so?

One end goes into the instrument (I don't know the technical term, but it's like a bigger type of input... god damn, I don't know the name!), and the other into the mic input jack on the computer. Usually both ends of the cord will be the same length, and you'll need one end bigger than the other, so either a) get a big cord and put one of those things on the one end that turn a big end into a small end (I know, I sound like an engineer, don't I? ), or b) small cord with cheater on end that turns small end into big end.
That took way too much explaining when knowing a couple actual technical terms could've saved me all of those words.
Do you understand what I mean, though?
Quote by SethMegadefan
One end goes into the instrument (I don't know the technical term, but it's like a bigger type of input... god damn, I don't know the name!), and the other into the mic input jack on the computer. Usually both ends of the cord will be the same length, and you'll need one end bigger than the other, so either a) get a big cord and put one of those things on the one end that turn a big end into a small end (I know, I sound like an engineer, don't I? ), or b) small cord with cheater on end that turns small end into big end.
That took way too much explaining when knowing a couple actual technical terms could've saved me all of those words.
Do you understand what I mean, though?

yeah man thanks alot i get exactly what you mean haha dont worry i forget techincal words like that alot too lol.

So can i do that for a mic? but do like a xlr to 1/4" then use the adapter thing?

then what software would u guys recomend?
Quote by pocket dude 411
yeah man thanks alot i get exactly what you mean haha dont worry i forget techincal words like that alot too lol.

So can i do that for a mic? but do like a xlr to 1/4" then use the adapter thing?

I'm pretty sure they have something like that. Yeah, that sounds like it'd work.

By the way: I didn't "forget" the technical terms... sadly enough, I've never known them.
Good luck on recording!
Quote by SethMegadefan
I'm pretty sure they have something like that. Yeah, that sounds like it'd work.

By the way: I didn't "forget" the technical terms... sadly enough, I've never known them.
Good luck on recording!

haha its all good man thanks alot!!
Quote by pocket dude 411
also how is the sound quality when u do this?

It should all be fine. All you should need to alter would be the individual volume channels via whatever program you're using on your computer. For example, you'll want your mic set at a specific volume, etc. Seems simple, but I've had way too many times where my recordings come out uneven because I didn't check the volume levels closely enough.
Quote by SethMegadefan
It should all be fine. All you should need to alter would be the individual volume channels via whatever program you're using on your computer. For example, you'll want your mic set at a specific volume, etc. Seems simple, but I've had way too many times where my recordings come out uneven because I didn't check the volume levels closely enough.

what software should i get
Well what kind of soundcard do you have in your computer? You don't want to hook up your mic into a crap soundcard. I researched up in other forums and if your going to hook up the mic directly into your soundcard you should have a pretty good soundcard like a 24 bit one. If you have a decent soundcard go buy an audio interface or preamp. Or you can buy a usb or firewire audio interface.
^ thats pretty much what i would say. if you dont have a decent soundcard, your best investment would probably some sort of good interface. btw, i think the best way to describe that cable is as having 2 male ends, one 1/4" and the other 1/8". sure you can use adapters, but it gives you better quality to just find a cable that has the correct ends. radio shack has any type of cable or connecter ive ever needed, so check there if you choose to go that route.

i would suggest you spend $150-200 on an interface with two inputs, preferably firewire if you can find it. then drop the rest of the money on a nice mic. a shure SM57 is great for micing amps but a condensor would be better for recording an acoustic (but needs phantom power). then get a decent mic cable and a mic stand (you can improvise the stand if short on cash).

for software, i would say start with something free to get you used to recording. audacity is a good start, and once you have some experience go for something better. what you should do then is try out the demos of a few recording programs and see which one you like before you drop any money on it. thats my advice anyway.
Quote by jof1029
^ thats pretty much what i would say. if you dont have a decent soundcard, your best investment would probably some sort of good interface. btw, i think the best way to describe that cable is as having 2 male ends, one 1/4" and the other 1/8". sure you can use adapters, but it gives you better quality to just find a cable that has the correct ends. radio shack has any type of cable or connecter ive ever needed, so check there if you choose to go that route.

i would suggest you spend $150-200 on an interface with two inputs, preferably firewire if you can find it. then drop the rest of the money on a nice mic. a shure SM57 is great for micing amps but a condensor would be better for recording an acoustic (but needs phantom power). then get a decent mic cable and a mic stand (you can improvise the stand if short on cash).

for software, i would say start with something free to get you used to recording. audacity is a good start, and once you have some experience go for something better. what you should do then is try out the demos of a few recording programs and see which one you like before you drop any money on it. thats my advice anyway.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MobilePre-USB-Portable-Audio-Interface?sku=701368

or i was thinking a line6 toneport... which would be better
Line 6 Toneport/PResonus Inspire and Sonar Home Studio should get you started. If you go with the Toneport, you will have a little bit more "cooler" options from the start, but once you start getting into serious recording, the PreSonus stuff offers higher quality parts.

Here's the Inspire - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-INSPIRE-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=241483

Do NOT plug directly into your soundcard, unless it has an impedence matched plug made specifically for instruments (most average soundcards do not). I don't know why people recommend this...You can damage your Line In, as the signal from the guitar is not always line level.

Go with an interface. (Toneport, Inspire, Firebox, etc).

I personally went with the PreSonus Firebox because I'm micing my amp, and I don't need all of the modeling features of the Toneport. You sacrifice some things with the Toneport in order to get the modeling. What the Firebox/Inspire lacks in modeling, it makes up for by having FireWire (less latency) and better mic preamps, etc than the Toneport.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by waylay00 at Jul 7, 2006,
Quote by waylay00
Line 6 Toneport/PResonus Inspire and Sonar Home Studio should get you started. If you go with the Toneport, you will have a little bit more "cooler" options from the start, but once you start getting into serious recording, the PreSonus stuff offers higher quality parts.

Here's the Inspire - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-INSPIRE-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=241483

Do NOT plug directly into your soundcard, unless it has an impedence matched plug made specifically for instruments (most average soundcards do not). I don't know why people recommend this...You can damage your Line In, as the signal from the guitar is not always line level.

Go with an interface. (Toneport, Inspire, Firebox, etc).

I personally went with the PreSonus Firebox because I'm micing my amp, and I don't need all of the modeling features of the Toneport. You sacrifice some things with the Toneport in order to get the modeling. What the Firebox/Inspire lacks in modeling, it makes up for by having FireWire (less latency) and better mic preamps, etc than the Toneport.

Does the inspire still have guitar and bass preamps so i can still toy around with them without micing a amp?
Yes, it has instrument pre-amps. I would not recommend going with an 8-track recorder. It's much better to edit/record on your computer, IMO.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo