Hey everyone, i have been playing the bass for about a year now, and i play in a local heavy metal band. We started off in drop d tunning, and my guitarist keeps on going lower to drop b, which paul from slipknot plays in. My Ibanez GSR300 just cant hold that low of a tuning. Any suggestions for a bass that can hold a drop b tuning in a moderate price range? pleaze include some model names. Thanks a ton!
ibanez gsr205? and tell the guitarist to get a seven stringer or baritone if he's gonna play that low.
grab the peavey millenium 5 string. theres not much cheaper than it, and for metal it will be fine if you have a cab large enough to handle it. i suggest NOt buying any rogue bass, even though their prices can be luring. rogue pretty much blows if you want to play anything serious... i bought their ftetless 4 string for 129 and it wasnt even worth that much. ive played the 5 string and it doesnt seem much better. peaveys are always reliable, though. get a deep bass cab to hadle the lows, or just slap your guitarist in the face and tell him to stop fooling around.
I would go for a five string. No four string can handle drop B with a good sound and in tune. The Ibanez Soundgear 5 string is a good choice and not that expensive.
Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams And American Idiot's Solos!!!! Those Are Soooo Good!!!
greenday1182
Octave pedal? different gauge string? i'm thinking of while you save for a five stringer...
yeh, i guess if you dont feel like getting a 5 string bass, which in your case i rekon you proably should, you could always just play the same notes as him just a higher octave...
but hmmm Drop b? your string would be dangling to your knees aY?
When you say moderate pricerange, what do you mean (like $200-$450 USD?)

Your best bet is going to be to get a 5 string, as everyone else said above me. Search around here for some favorites. If you have $580 to drop, I would give an Ibanez SR505 a shot.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
or gettinhg a BTB 4string, ideally not the cheap one, the other one also has an awesome finish too bad they don't have the fiver in that finish...