I'm working on an older guitar.

Whenever I plug it in, there's an audible hum. If I touch any of the metal parts, the hum stops.

I'm of the opinion that the guitar is not grounded properly.

Removing the control panel, I worked out which wire seems to be the ground - and it seems to lead to the bridge.

Unfortunately, I can only access one end of the wire.

I'm not terribly confident about excavating through the body wood to get a strong connection to the bridge or tailpiece, does anyone have any other ideas?
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
I would try removing the bridge or tailpiece to see if that ground is actually going to the bridge or tailpiece. It may also be works of a bad solder. You may want to look into resoldering everything.
It's a tune-o-matic/stop tailbridge situation; I removed the tailpiece completely and it had no connection. I removed the bridgepiece and the screws; but the ferrules are stuck fast, so it is grounds to either of those, then it's obviously not working.

If I have to rewire, I will, but I'd rather not, it's quite badly designed and the existing wiring is totally anarchic.

I'd really just prefer to work out an alernative point to ground to before taking more drastic measures.

Yes, but where could I be grounding it to?

I can't get any access to the bridge because the ferrules are stuck tight, and I don't have the tools or inclination to drill them out.

Does there at least appear to be a wire going toward the way of the bridge?

I think you could re-ground to the back of the volume pot, but I'm not all sure if you can only do that with the output jack or not.

Maybe you want to stick a piece of copper or some metallic object somewhere in there and reground to that?
See, I just wanted to know if it was possible to get a piece of copper or something and ground to that.

Yes, there is a wire which disappears into the wood from the control panel in the direction of the bridge. It definately does not connect to the tailpiece.