i've been thinking about getting into a genre other than classic rock, i just need somethin different. so i was thinking about jazz,and i think that would be perfect. i want some jazz with lots but not too much bass, and also guitar. so what are some jazz artists that you think i'd like?
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Practically every jazz group-no matter the size- has a bassist. Do you mean you want an upright or electric bass type? Anyway, here are my recommendations (I'll try not to delve into too jazzy. I know how you rock types like your 1!-2-3!-4

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
EDIT: No Jaco for you then.
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall
EDIT2: No Weather Report either.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Last edited by Hypnot1st at Jul 6, 2006,
i meant upright bass. i would like smaller jazz groups.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Last edited by gtrfrk123 at Jul 6, 2006,
Along with what Hypnot1st said, try Charles Mingus. None of these bands have guitar players, however, so I'll also suggest Les Paul and Wes Montgomery (they obviously have guitar players).
Barney Kessel's Misty is pretty stripped down, just guitar, upright, and drums (and the drums are pretty spare). Believe it or not, I haven't checked out much more of him, so I don't know if the rest of his stuff is like that much.

EDIT: I think Johnny Smith's Moonlight in Vermont supposedly follows a similar setup, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a version
Since you want guitar in it as well, i suggest you get Bitches brew by Miles Davis. It's a great record that's heavy on both bass and guitar, and it makes for an easy transition from rock to jazz.

Quote by opivy21
Along with what Hypnot1st said, try Charles Mingus.

Mingus is great. Not only was he a great bass player, but in my opinion one of the greatest jazz composers ever. His best album imho is The black saint and the sinner lady, which i think is an absolute masterpiece that every jazz fan should have. But a better place to start is probably Mingus ah um.
Get The Rite Of Strings by Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola and Jean-Luc Ponty.

Here's two tasters:

Renaissance

Song To John (Coltrane)
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Try John Scofield and Charley Hunter. Both are great Fusion Guitarists. Also Try John Scofield's album with Medeski, Martin, and Wood called "A Go Go". Then check out Medeski Martin and Wood.

That stuff above was more Fusiony and Jazz-Funky.

For Jazz with stand up bass, try Mingus, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, John Abercrombie, and Django Reinhardt. All Different Jazz Guitarists except for Charles Mingus.

For Jazz lacking guitars, try Miles Davis (in your case Bitches Brew), try John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Louis Armstrong, Stan Getz, Jelly Roll Morton, Charlie Parker, Glenn Miller, Dave Brubeck, etc.

With Jazz try to consume it all, everything will influence your own music in a different direction.

Jazz > all other music, IMO.

Edit: IMHO
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
also, you might like some of stanley clarke's or charles mingus's stuff on the upright
John Coltrane
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster