could you, in theory and/or practice, exchange the 1/4" jacks on a distortion pedal for XLRs and have a vocal pedal? Would the electronics aspect of it work, sounding good aside? How would one go about doing this?
Well you can definately get patch cords that have a 1/4" jack on one end and an XLR jack on the other end. So using 2 of these, mic ---> pedal ---->amp or PA. I've never actually tried it with distortion, but i do this with the effects (chorus, reverb, etc) on my amp all the time for vocals. Try it out, although it sounds like a recipe for feedback
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
its pretty much just a case of switching the jacks id imagine. once you know where the wires are supposed to go you're set. and distortion can sound good on vocals, tho id imagine only a slight amount could be applied. Meshuggah utilise vocal distortion, but id imagine its just a studio thing, dunno what a vocal pedal would sound like. worth tryin tho!

you could use the XLR to jack leads tho, instead of pulling a pedal apart
I was thinking of building one so I could get the right sound and VERY LITTLE distortion and everything. And it is much cheaper to just use XLR jacks methinks. Adapters tend to be relatively expensive for some reason. And just annoying and unprofessional looking.
xlr to 1/4 inch cable??
hourglass is right though, unless you're really careful, its just an earache
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Well..

I know a lot of bands are starting to use computers to process those kinds of things before they go out to the PA. For example, Coldplay ran the drum mics through a computer on their latest tour so that they could get different drum voicings as necessary, simply by changing the EQ and the effects on each mic. And from what I can tell, digital effects tend to work a lot better on things that are picked up via microphone, rather than trying to distort the signal.

You could run everything into a mixer (provided you had enough channels) and then run it to a MacBook with ProTools, then use the computer to output to the PA/whatever else... Between songs you load up different profiles for sound that are pre-arranged, so your sound guy doesn't even have to mix it on the fly, he just has to load up the right file.