i am kinda new to blues. i'm looking for a style of blues. just picture this.a smokey, cold blues club, on a late dark night. what are some artists that give that specific feel to the music. also mostly guitar in the music. thanks for the help.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Quote by gtrfrk123
i am kinda new to blues. i'm looking for a style of blues. just picture this.a smokey, cold blues club, on a late dark night. what are some artists that give that specific feel to the music. also mostly guitar in the music. thanks for the help.

Love them kind of Blues.

I would suggest some Buddy Guy and some B.B. King, mainly his less jazzy stuff.

EDIT: I have a playlist on my iTunes for that exact description and it consists of Buddy Guy, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Melvin Taylor, some slower SRV (Lenny, Tin Pan Alley ... ).

Heres some songs that fit that description:
1. Buddy Guy - Rememberin Stevie (Incredible Song)
2. Chains and Things - B.B. King
3. Eric Clapton - Double Trouble
4. John Lee Hooker - Backstabbers
5. Blues at Sunrise - Albert King
6. Chris Duarte - Shiloh (Def. recommend this ... he dedicated it so Stevie and Jimmie Vaughan)
7. Johnny Lang - Darker Side
8. Kenny Wayne Shepherd - While We Cry (Incredible Instrumental)
9. SRV - Lenny, Little Wing, Texas Flood, Sky is Crying

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Last edited by IrishBlues at Jul 7, 2006,
Hmmm, i might figure something a bit more acoustic for that sort of thing. Unless it's very slow electric seems a bit too... loud, for the atmosphere he's describing.

What about some delta blues?

I'd look into some of the classic older blues players that give off a lot of raw emotion without the need for huge sound and background noise. John Lee Hooker perhaps?

Also, if you would like electric stuff, look at all the big names (clapton, guy, vaughan etc.) but find those few slower, "moodier" songs.

Tin Pan Alley by SRV would be a great example.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
SRV, john lee hooker and muddy waters automatically spring to mind. johnny winter could also be in there, aswell as rory gallagher
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
Mmm....i love that stuff. John Lee Hooker is one of my favorites that fits into this style. All the guys mentioned are great. Buddy Guy, BB King, SRV's slower stuff (tin pan alley, dirty pool, etc), some of clapton's blues music, etc.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Try the album "Smokin'" by Jonny Lang and the Big Bang.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster